Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rock a black blazer casually

Edward

Bartender
Uhm.... I think we need to define "casual" here.... for some of us "casual" means not wearing a tie.... ;)

I'd certainly say avoid the jeans and blazer look that every men's magazine and contemporary fashion "expert" pushes. no matter what they say, you will end up looking like Jeremy Clarkson (that twit on BBC America, on Top Gear UK. You don't want to look like him. Not even Jeremy Clarkson should look like Jeremy Clarkson. He is the very definition of a poor dresser). I'd opt for some form of "khakis", but in a grey or a blue (not earthtones, nor black - black would be in danger of it looking like an ill-matched suit). I would suggest PIR Clothing's Overlord Khakis as a good start, in Olive or Grey...

http://www.pircargos.com/#!where_to_buy/c3xu

The website is disappointing - I've not seen it in a long time. Used to be very much a vintage styling, looks like some nasty cheapo thing now, but I assume the quality and cut of the trews hasn't changed? I'm very pleased with mine...

For a shirt, you could either go with a regular shirt and wear a cravat, or maybe for something more casual something like a polo shirt? Decent pair of leather shoes.

Just a few thoughts to get the ball rolling...

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Dirty bucks, khakis (I like cuffs and pleats, but YMMV), button-down white or blue oxford, and a panama works for me. If I'm getting any more casual (say, into denim territory) I'm typically not wearing a jacket anyway.

I would never mix a polo shirt and a jacket, personally. It looks like you were just awarded the jacket - not like you put the outfit together intentionally.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Several points:
1) Have the blazer fit perfectly. If it is boxy and ill fitting, you won't rock it no matter what you you wear.

B- Shine your shoes. I would recommend a pair of wingtip boots, for more of the casual/dressy juxtaposition.

iii: As to the outfit, I would top it off with a medium brim, dove gray fedora with a wide black ribbon. White or pale blue oxford shirt, either open at the neck or with a silk knit tie. Never underestimate the casual tie. An ascot/day cravat couldn't hurt either, but that is more adventurous. Gray flannels. You can wear dark jeans, or some kind of khakis too. I would go with the flannels, and hold them up with suspenders. Bright colored socks that no one will see because you are wearing well fitted trousers and boots. Sunglasses of your favorite (non sport) variety. Bandanna as pocket square, mostly because one should always carry a bandanna. They are very useful.

Δ Or just look in a mirror and figure it out. I am not sure if anything I said makes any sense at all, since I am not quite that good at previsualization.

Metatron

One Too Many
Ditto on the 'don't wear jeans with a blazer'.

I've got a question: Black corduroy sport coat + corn coloured corduroy trousers. Acceptable? Or just too much corduroy? :rolleyes:

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let's put it this way, I wouldn't suggest it...

Piola_Domenico-Stoning_of_St_Stephen.normal.jpg

...you said rocking a blazer casually, right?

Last edited:

Corky

Practically Family
I have a black cashmere blazer and wear it with a pair of black wool slacks (as close to a match as I can find). I either wear a black silk or black cashmere turtleneck (depending on the season) or a plain black dress shirt and a plain black silk tie. Plus plain toe black lace up dress shoes and plain black socks. The only flourish I indulge in is a set of colorful silk braces or button suspenders.

This works for nearly any evening social activity or art event in or around Beverly Hills. It also works for Black Tie events.

The only problem I ever had was that one time, as I was waiting to get into some charity event, an elderly gentleman collapsed near me. He obviously mistook me for a Catholic priest, as he kept calling me "Father" while tugging on my arm and telling me that he wanted to make a good confession. So I said "OK", let him ramble on for a while, then quoted a fateful line from Melville's Moby Dick: "Ego non baptizo te in nomine patris, sed in nomine diaboli". I don't know if his sins were forgiven, but it seemed to keep the old guy content until the ambulance took him away.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I've got a question: Black corduroy sport coat + corn coloured corduroy trousers. Acceptable? Or just too much corduroy? :rolleyes:

As someone who used to wear a corduroy sport coat and corduroy pants, don't. Go with khakis or moleskin. Or maybe a heavy wool. Something with a bit of a country feel to it.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Back to the original post - I thought about it, and my best advice is this: get a blue blazer.

tealseal

A-List Customer
What do I wear with a black blazer to look casual? I'm talking from head to toe.
Welcome to the Lounge! As you may have found out, your question is a difficult one for the diverse group we have here. I have one question and one request for you:
Question: Is it a blazer or a sports coat?
Request: Please define for us what "casual" means to you so we can help you better.
As you look about the Lounge, you'll find that "causal" has the widest possible range of meanings, from sacrificing your necktie for an ascot, to khakis and a polo.
I have a black sports coat that I wear in a variety of ways, perhaps I can help you after you clarify what you're looking for!

All the best,
TS

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Frankly, while black blazers aren't exactly a "golden era" classic, they are quite classy and pretty much as versatile as navy blazers. My work alternates between business formal and business casual (depending on the branch office, day of week, whether we're having face time with clients, and what big wigs are in town).

For a casual yet classy blazer look try flannel or patterned trousers, a checked or patterned button down collar shirt, and a patterned pocket square in a color that is complementary to the shirt. For shoes chose some that are brown lean towards casual (e.g. not wingtips brogues or extremely plain Bluchers).

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
grey flannels; white shoes; cravat; crumpled shirt ... and an air of nonchalance.

exactly.

I have a black cashmere blazer and wear it with a pair of black wool slacks (as close to a match as I can find). I either wear a black silk or black cashmere turtleneck (depending on the season) or a plain black dress shirt and a plain black silk tie. Plus plain toe black lace up dress shoes and plain black socks. The only flourish I indulge in is a set of colorful silk braces or button suspenders.

even Tim Burton doesn't wear that much black.

trying to pair mismatched trousers and jacket to create a 'suit' is a classic vintage no no, one of the few 'rules' i would take heed in. go for contrast.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Ooh, or forget casual entirely and rock a stroller. Nothing rocks quite like a stroller.

Take Sproily, for example.
lassi5.jpg

Metatron

One Too Many
Looks like the original poster has taken all your feedback and done a runner, putting it to good effect wooing the ladies. :eek:

For what it's worth, I very much like this look sported by japanese designer Koji Norihide (originally posted by Herringbone kid in the Fair Isle sweater thread).

sartHaverSack.jpg

He's actually wearing a navy jacket, but I think that black would work just as well. I like how the olive green trousers take the dandyism down just a notch, making the whole outfit earthy as well as sharp.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i like that look too above (i would). the olive green trousers could be substituted for khaki or off white for a less unorthodox / more trad look.

personally i think corduroy works better in conjunction with a different fabric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto