Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolls Razor.....

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We found this while cleaning out my Father-in law's closet today. I think it's awesome. The date on it is 1927, does anyone know what it might be worth?

Razor001.jpg
Razor002.jpg
Razor003.jpg
Razor004.jpg
Razor005.jpg
Razor006.jpg
Razor007.jpg
Razor008.jpg
Razor009.jpg
Razor010.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
In the UK, not much. Almost every man had one and there are plenty left, although the US box is somewhat rare. In the US? I don't know.

Rolls Razor Ltd. went on to make washing machines and was run by an er...interesting character named John Bloom before being taken over by an Italian 'white goods' manufacturer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls_Razor

The Darwin (a lightweight copy of the Rolls) is much rarer and would be worth something to a collector.

djhatman

One of the Regulars
An antique shop here in Salt Lake gets a few once in a while and I have seen the from about $15 to $30. They are pretty cool but I think I will keep with my safety razor.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
The '1927' is the date the company was formed, by the way, not the date the razor was made.

My father used to give me the job of sharpening the blade (rolling it back and forth on the two strops - course first and then fine). I still use it from time to time.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks HJ.....

H.Johnson said:
The '1927' is the date the company was formed, by the way, not the date the razor was made.

My father used to give me the job of sharpening the blade (rolling it back and forth on the two strops - course first and then fine). I still use it from time to time.
So then, would you have any idea as to it's age? [huh]

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Its an Imperial N0. 2 - the most common model.

The best way to date these is the instruction sheet that comes with them. If you don't have that, the box is the next best. The address on the box dates it to after 1937 and the case isn't in the white alloy that they were made from during WW2. The three-row Greek key design and the trade mark showing the guy sharpening a blade came out after this period., so your example is probably 1940s or 1950s I think, but 1937-1939 are possibilities.

You can still get spares, by the way! Here's a good link for US Rolls Razor owners, with a realistic assessment of their value.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/3541/Rolls_Page.htm

Lgrant

New in Town
Once you get the blade 'right' they give (me at least) a much closer shave than a modern 3 or 4 blade disposable razor.
The common wisdom is that the Rolls can keep its blade sharp if you are good about stropping it after every shave, and honing it every couple of weeks, but it is not very good at bringing a dull blade up to par. So I bought a couple of spare blades on eBay, and had them shipped directly to a place that sharpens straight razors (since the blade is essentially a chunk of straight razor blade), and the results were excellent.

Lgrant

New in Town
I was looking for a belt pouch for my Rolls Viscount. Why? Well, whether you are camping, or roaming a post-apocalyptic wasteland, you need your good shave. (At least I do--I look terrible with a beard.) And you certainly don't want your razor bouncing around in a backpack, where it is likely to get dropped and break the hone.

I finally found one:

OneTigris Tactical Pouch for iPhone6 iPhone6 Plus and Galaxy Note 4, Blackberry 8300, HTC One Max (#TG-014BK)

Unfortunately, that particular model seems to have been dropped by OneTigris since I bought it, but they have another that will hold a Rolls Razor:

Phone Pouch 01​

SKU
TG-SJT01

OneTigris MOLLE Pouches/Holders for iPhone 6 + Otterbox or Survivor Case

Here is the link:

https://www.onetigris.com/en/phone-pouch-01.html

Enjoy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21