Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rosemary Clooney's Lost Innocence in Music... 'you took advantage of me'

philosophygirl78

A-List Customer
I tend to regard the music of the 40's and 50's Standards as demonstrable of class and distinction in America's cultural history. It is so sad to see the decay of music post 1970's perhaps into a shallowness that really takes away from the mystery and allure of inspiring art forms.

There is something deeply magical, sensual, and alluring about innocence in music. The idea of music is to inspire imagination, visual imagery, and allow the listener to have an experience.

Perhaps a trend towards a more mysterious and innocent genre in pop culture would lend to a healing of the imperious domination that crudeness and vulgarity dominate in modern society....

I tend to regard the music of the 40's and 50's Standards as demonstrable of class and distinction in America's cultural history. It is so sad to see the decay of music post 1970's perhaps into a shallowness that really takes away from the mystery and allure of inspiring art forms.

There is something deeply magical, sensual, and alluring about innocence in music. The idea of music is to inspire imagination, visual imagery, and allow the listener to have an experience.

Perhaps a trend towards a more mysterious and innocent genre in pop culture would lend to a healing of the imperious domination that crudeness and vulgarity dominate in modern society....

Hear, hear!!

While I see your point, think music, and media/entertainment in general, are more fragmented. Certainly "popular" music, in the form of the Mileys and Kanyes, isn't innocent, but that music exists, and is highly accessible in this society.

As a music lover, I usually don't agree that music declined at a certain point in time. Popular culture, norms and morays may have declined, but there is still soulful, thoughtful, meaningful, and innocent music being made these days.

Well, that's the thing. If you're looking for Billboard top 100, it's few and far between. But in my view, "popular culture" these days is hard to define. Like most media, the fragmented, or Balkanized, market means certain demographics can pick and choose what they want. Certainly, there are musicians/singers out there who don't qualify as participating in the decline of music culture, such as a Harry Connick or (though I'm not familiar with her that much) Adele.

More bluesy than what you may be use to, but pretty traditional, as well. Check out some Youtube videos of Janiva Magness.

I've always been attracted to the music that exists on the fringes, and I have very diverse tastes. When all my friends in HS were extolling the virtues of Led Zeppelin, I was listening to Frank Zappa. I've always had to dig to get to what I really like. So it's second nature to me.

philosophygirl78

A-List Customer
I was going to mention Adele earlier, but it seemed like a stretch because she is one of the only ones I would regard in that sense. I also think Fiona Apple, though short lived, had a nice ambiance about her music. She was also a singer / songwriter.

As for Zepp, they are a Favorite of Mine... But for different musical reasons. Floyd, The Doors, all soulful... Very in fact.. But lacking the aura of culture I think of folks like Clooney, Fitzgerald etc...

Well, exactly. The aura of culture is different, and the demographics of the audience is different, too. It seems you get more of the modern "crooners" in jazz and the like these days.

And you can't help but notice that, eventually, all of the modern singers eventually turn to the classics, and put out an album of such songs. Shoot, a few years before his death, I was seeing Jerry Garcia in concert doing covers of "My Funny Valentine" and "Stardust."

philosophygirl78

A-List Customer
Well, exactly. The aura of culture is different, and the demographics of the audience is different, too. It seems you get more of the modern "crooners" in jazz and the like these days.

And you can't help but notice that, eventually, all of the modern singers eventually turn to the classics, and put out an album of such songs. Shoot, a few years before his death, I was seeing Jerry Garcia in concert doing covers of "My Funny Valentine" and "Stardust."

Of course, the reverse also occurs... Such as Johnny Cash doing Metallica... ;)~

philosophygirl78

A-List Customer

Re: Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself - FZ - Very Nice.

philosophygirl78

A-List Customer
Moralists of the day would probably regard the standards as trash for the masses!
And point to classic music for 'true' inspiring imagination, visual imagery and experiences.

I guess?

You mean like New Age Music? I would say maybe stuff like Tori Amos, Bjork, Portishead do hold some level of musical advancement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points