Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ruined 1940s uniform

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I opened a box from storage that held my father's uniform and the jacket is in awful shape and the shirt looked okay until I held it up to see moth holes.:eusa_doh:
IMG_4391.jpg
IMG_4390.jpg

The Wolf

Enrico

New in Town
What if you bought a good reproduction and had a tailor replace the sleeve? It would still be about 75% original.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the thoughts.
Actually the jacket and shirt wouldn't fit me anyway as my my father was always a very thin man.
I was going to see about selling so it could get a proper home but was sick when I saw the condition it was in.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Nobert

Practically Family
That's the pits. Most of my clothes have been in storage for the past few months, and I recently discovered that some of them have been chewed up by mice, including some of my Harris Tweed and vintage jackets. So I feel for ya.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Ike jackets, particularly in smaller sizes aren't exactly a hot market item. But as it's family you might want to do something a bit different. Do you have his dog tags or any papers? A shadow box with swatches from the jacket that have the patches combined with any other heirlooms might make a tidy package to keep in the family and keep in sight rather than buried in a closet.

Matt

ebonysw45

One of the Regulars
How about you frame the whole thing, much like a jersey/sports memorabilia. You could include the service record and medals.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
That's a good idea, Matt.
I don't have any papers or dog tags but I like the idea of framing the patches in honor.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Patch The sleeve and holes, Save the Jacket intact as is!!!!

Seriously!

You can find another Jacket that is more ruined and use it for Scrap material.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
You could shadowbox the jacket as is by folding the sleeves strategically to hide the holes. Cross them over the front of the jacket also in an artful arrangement. All the patches would still show too. Mount it on a piece of acid free matboard with openings perhaps for other items such as photos, newspaper clippings, or other mementos. Put the jacket in your freezer for 24 hours or so to kill any moth eggs. Place a few mothballs or cedar chips in the back of the box too to prevent further insults from moths. Shadowboxes come with a removable back to facilitate changing the chips or mothballs out every few months or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points