Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rum and Coke Question

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
Any suggestions for a good Rum and Coke combo? I'm more concerned with the Rum brand/type being suggested than the Coke. I usually get the red label Coke Classic. Sometimes we do have Pepsi though. But really it's about the Rum-- what makes a good rum and coke?

(P.S. we tried Rum and Coke awhile back with the new-style "clear vanilla" rum you see out there. I think that stuff is for the college kids though, it really was sort of a vanilla and chemicalish flavor).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Captain%20Morgan%20Spiced%201.75.jpg

celtic

A-List Customer
i used to love bacardi 151 & coke, but i was always partial to lighter fluid.

actually,

forget rum and just get Wild Turkey white label and splash it with coke.

hrm...

wonder why don't drink anymore?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ray-Vigo said:
Sometimes we do have Pepsi though. But really it's about the Rum--

Ah, not always true. Go to BevMo, and get a 'Mexican Coke' (in the glass bottles). Cokes in Mexico are still made with cane sugar as opposed to high fructose corn syrup as they are made in the states. The taste is MUCH cleaner, and does contribute to a mighty fine R&C :)

LD

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
Lady Day said:
Ah, not always true. Go to BevMo, and get a 'Mexican Coke' (in the glass bottles). Cokes in Mexico are still made with cane sugar as opposed to high fructose corn syrup as they are made in the states. The taste is MUCH cleaner, and does contribute to a mighty fine R&C :)

LD

This is technically true. Boylan's is also made with sugarcane still as well. I suppose I could try to locate some. I hadn't thought of that angle, but I'll have to try it. I prefer cane soda to corn syrup soda, though I always thought of mixing it up with other things as "wasting" it, since it's hard to get here in MD. I know of a couple places that carry Boylan's still. I'll have to look for some.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I no longer imbibe, but when I did and drank R&C, I always preferred Meyer's- a nice dark rum to go with the dark cola. And RC Cola is better than Coke IMO.

I've also heard it said that it's all that dark stuff which makes one feel so wretched the next day, after overindulgence:( .

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Was vanilla flavored Coke available before 1960? NO! Was vanilla flavored rum available before 1960? NO! Use the classic ingredients and not the newer fancy-shmancy variations. Classic, I believe, was Myer's dark and Coke. And I'm sure if you can find non-corn syrup Coke (the "white sugar" or "cane sugar" variety from Mexico or available, I'm told in store catering to a Hebrew clientelle around their holidays) made with good old-fashioned tooth-rotting white cane sugar, I'm sure that makes a world of difference in searching for the taste of a classic "Rum and Coca-Cola" a la the Andrews Sisters and WWII. But if another version of either of the two main ingredients works for you - by all means...imbibe! It's all about what taste right to you.

Rachael

A-List Customer
SamMarlowPI said:
couldn't one get coke with vanilla flavor added at a soda fountain in the 50s? or was that just cherry? i can't remember...

Why yes, one could! I wonder if bars offered this as well. Maybe if there was a fountain next to a bar...

GWD

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
Was vanilla flavored Coke available before 1960? NO!

You are correct but in the 50's it was common to ask for a shot of vanilla to be added to your coke by the soda jerk.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:

LD

Ray-Vigo said:
This is technically true. Boylan's is also made with sugarcane still as well. I suppose I could try to locate some. I hadn't thought of that angle, but I'll have to try it. I prefer cane soda to corn syrup soda, though I always thought of mixing it up with other things as "wasting" it, since it's hard to get here in MD. I know of a couple places that carry Boylan's still. I'll have to look for some.

FYI- The Kosher Coke that is made a few months prior to passover is also a cane sugar product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana