Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Russett colored leather Gloves??

Doug C

Practically Family
Hello Groupe, I've had the idea of getting myself a good pair of gloves in a brown or preferrably Russett color leather. Thing is though, they can not be bulky.. so something thin like driving gloves would be nice. I've seen these types of gloves in a military context before, atleast in the movies. Also, I think a certain German military of the second world war may have incorporated them into officer uniforms, but I'm not absolutely sure. They could be goat, lamb, deerskin, cape..but no thick steer hide. Also, I'd consider other colors if Russett is not possible. Any ideas where to check?

Doug C

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes.

There's a western wear store near me that has, inside one of the glass cases, some thin russet english riding gloves. They are fairly simple, very fine and I've had my eye on those bad boys for a year. About $50.

Check a place like that if you can.

Also, occasionally, LL Bean offers some very fine unlined sheepskin gloves. They are a light saddle color rather than russet, but mine are really nice. Bad thing is that deerskin is very difficult to clean or treat successfully, so they always look dirty.

I'm still looking for some of the light colored unlined leather gloves one sees in the Esquire illustrations of the '30's. there was a thread on it here last year but the sources suggested proved unsatisfactory.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
So, get yourself down there and...

scotrace said:
There's a western wear store near me that has, inside one of the glass cases, some thin russet english riding gloves. They are fairly simple, very fine and I've had my eye on those bad boys for a year. About $50.
... check out the tags. Let's have a brand name, please. Pretty please!:)

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Bunch of options here, if you don't mind the USAAF insignia:

Garcia Aviation

Prices are pretty inexpensive, too.

The B-3s are unlined and would probably best fit your needs.

Doug C

Practically Family
I agree, the bronze is awsome looking, I may get them too..eventually. I had a hard time decideing between the two. I chose the dark tan 'cause I thought they'd match my Alden 405 boots better. Heck I may put 'em on my Christmas list along with a pair of the chestnut and black.

Doug C

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo