Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S.E. Pennsylvania, Golden Era Christmas Movie Get Together! Calling PA Loungers!

cowboy76

Suspended
Ok,..who in here is from PA that also dresses period correct for the
1930s -40s? I know some cats and dolls that do on a general all around basis,...I myself do most of the time.

Who, also enjoys old movies, especially when they are shown in an old vintage movie theater??

Lastly,...let me know if you're interested in doing a FL get together for a few Christmas or old Golden Era movie nights, dressed Golden Era "period correct" only. I've had an idea for a while now,..want to see what the interest is first.

cowboy76

Suspended
Well I know of about three vintage movie theaters that will be showing Golden era movies,..more specifically Christmas movies from that era in the next few weeks,....most certainly in the month of December.

What I have wanted to purpose, is to get together a movie group, where once every month, some PA Fedora Loungers who are into the 1930s-40s era period correct, would have a movie night in a vintage theater, dressed appropriately! This would be a monthly thing, and depending on the specific venue, we would also be able to meet before or after the movie if it progressed that way. I want to start out simple with just a movie, then afterwards if some are up for it, a drink at a local vintage old bar-resturant or diner.

I would set up the place, (movie theater), give notice of the movie, and the time. I'd also give a link for the movie theater and directions link. My wife and I already patronize old theaters,....its a love of ours.

cowboy76

Suspended
Gigi said:
Abouts where in PA would this be happening?

South East PA region from around the Lehigh Valley area down to around the Philadelphia area. All within a reasonable drive and well worth the trek for a truely vintage experience.
There's nothing in Philadelphia that fits the bill for what I'm looking to do right now,...besides, I don't feel like attracting attention to myself in a town now know for its rediculously high murder rate!:rolleyes:
:eek:

cowboy76

Suspended
nobodyspecial said:
A long way from PA, but in Minneapolis, White Christmas is showing at the Heights Theater in Decembere. I've got my tickets reserved.

..ok,..just a bit,....

Well for those interested there are several old theaters that I have been researching into their schedule as of late.

For the month of december you have the following to choose from:

1. Miracle On 34th Street.
2. Holiday Inn
3. Its a Wonderful Life
4. A Christmas Carol & White Christmas (double feature)

One is a free movie, but on the 23rd of Dec. Good things are, yes its free, but better yet, the addmission is a suggested donation of canned goods! The FL can make a mark to help out this season,..I thought that would be great,..like an old time food drive!!

I was also thinking that if there is enough interest there could be TWO outings, being that I know the theaters that these are playing in and they are all great,..nope, sorry,....G-R-E-A-T theaters that one would really be cheating one's self if not experiencing! Theaters, dating back to the 1920s and so on!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I'd be interested...

I'm trying to think of theatres in our region (but outside of Philadelphia) that would be good candidates. A couple come to mind. The Strand-Capitol in York, PA (York's oldest movie theatre) is having screenings of "White Christmas" on the weekend of December 14 through 16. Here's the link: http://www.strandcapitol.org/capitol_films.html
A bit closer is the Ephrata Main theater, an art-deco theater that opened in 1938, and was restored to its former glory starting in 1990. They offer classic movie parties. Here's the link: http://www.ephratamain.com/

cowboy76

Suspended
Hey both look like great venues....but the Ephrata??....looks like they basically screwed it up by their idea of building a modern theater? Did they split the screen??!! If they did,..boy that's horrible!! That's such a shame when they do that!!!

I sure do like the theater in York though!...WOW!!!!

I'll be honest with ya,..we've seen White Christmas two years in a row the past few years,....I'm all White Chistmas'd out!! HA!:p

Yes, there are several that are completely outstanding....

• The Roxy Theater Northampton, PA
Showing the 1942 classic "Holiday Inn" December 7th at 7pm

*(Also the one doing the free admission with non-perishable food donation for the Northampton food bank)
Here's a few shots of it:
2182582490101561550S500x500Q85.jpg

Inside...
lgroxylobby.jpg

lgRoxyAud.jpg

• The Grand Theater
East Greenville, PA
http://www.thegrandtheater.org/
The Grand's Christmas Tradition Show
"Miracle on 34th Street" December 14th through 20th
eggran.jpg

•Newtown Theater
Newtown, PA
(Nation's Oldest Movie Theater)
**(this is one I havent gone to yet, but I've been told its a great theater)
http://www.newtowntheatre.com/
Showing the following (all are early shows though):

"Miracle on 34th Street" December 1st, 1pm
"A Christmas Story" December 3, 3pm
"A Chrstmas Carol" 1pm & "White Christmas" 3pm, December 15th (double feature)
newnewtown.jpg

lobby_left.htm

Also, here's a link to the Newtown's Theater's backstage!
http://www.newtowntheatre.com/tour/back_stage.htm
I was thinking about getting a special Fedora Lounge tour of the theater
if they would be willing,....most likely after a show.
Its just an idea for now though if this ends up being one of the venues at some point that we'd patronize.

• Colonial Theater
Phoenixville, PA
Showing, "It's a Wonderful Life" December 23, 2pm
http://www.thecolonialtheatre.com/
(The actual theater that was featured in the 1950s cult classic "The Blob!")
Another of my favorites! The inside is really beautiful,..for some reason though,
there is only one picture of the inside on their website??!!
-THE%20COLONIAL%20THEATER-.JPG

Programs.jpg

There area few other theaters I know of,
but as of right now , they are not running any calssics
nor any Christmas classics.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Ya might want to have one of the friendly bartenders (TM) steer this over to EVENTS for better coverage. ;)

cowboy76

Suspended
I actually had posted it here first,..then had the same idea you just gave so I posted it Events also,....so far, its actually been seen here much more than in the events section,....more replies also. Thanks though.
:)

cowboy76

Suspended
CALLING ALL PA FEDORA LOUNGERS!!!

Right now we're looking at either the Roxy Theater in Northampton, PA which will be showing FREE to the general public, the 1942 Classic, "HOLIDAY INN" December 7th at 7pm. FREE "WITH" a non perishable item donation.

I had the notion to get together with the owner of the Roxy to work a bit with them the night of the show, collecting the food before the movie for a time, and doing it like an old NRA (National Recovery Act) or a War-Time (WWII)type of food drive....kind of put a spin on it to go with the vintage of the movie theater and/or the movie's vintage.

I welcome any other votes from the venues that have been listed in the above postings. Only to limit our choices to those only, making the final choice an easier one since this is the first time for this and a bit of the leg work has already been done as far as the where, when, etc. and the fact that I'm already aware of the theater's condition and atmosphere.

***IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING, PLEASE PM ME SO I CAN GO TO THE THEATER AND SEE ABOUT RESERVING THE SEATING FOR US!!!!!!***

cowboy76

Suspended
UPDATE

**UPDATE**

The official "Golden Era" PA get together will take place at the Roxy Theater in Northampton, PA. Period dress required.

• THE ROXY THEATER! NORTHAMPTON, PA

SHOWING THE 1942 CLASSIC,..."HOLIDAY INN"...
DECEMBER 7TH, AT 7PM
*(FREE admission with non-perishable food donation for the Northampton food bank)*

***(GET THERE EARLY!!!!! THE LINE FOR THIS IS ALWAYS HUGE!!!)****
Holiday_Inn_poster.jpg

If any furthur info is needed please feel free to contact me. As my work schedule has changed drastically as of today, I might take a day to respond or so, but I'll do my best to accomodate you!

ROXY THEATER WEBSITE LINK:
http://www.roxytheaternorthampton.com/roxyhistory.htm

(they may not have the Christmas movie info up yet, but it is taking place)

THE ROXY MOVIE THEATER CIRCA 1934.....
lgroxyin1933.jpg

THE ROXY THEATER TODAY....
2182582490101561550S500x500Q85.jpg

cowboy76

Suspended
WOW! NICE!!

Definitley,....after reading its name I "think" I've heard of that one??:rolleyes:

Well, I'm game on that one, in fact that can be our next venue! Do they have any old movies showing soon? I'll have to call them....

Are you interested in doing the Roxy Theater by chance Dec 7th?

SUHRsc

New in Town
hmm

I really dont know too much about them.
I've been there a few times quite a while ago and honestly dont really remember too much of the inside even.
At the time I think I saw some 2nd run modern movie of some sort??

As for the Roxy deal I dont think i will be able to swing it. I believe theres something else going on that day and also im not sure that I'm period correct enough :eek:

cowboy76

Suspended
SUHRsc said:
As for the Roxy deal I dont think i will be able to swing it. I believe theres something else going on that day and also im not sure that I'm period correct enough :eek:

He,He!.... lol

Well as per our email conversation a while back regarding clothes, we'll fix ya up!! ;)
Oh and I havent got the time to go to my buddy's place regarding asking him what he has in the way of your size WWII khakis but if ya want, I can always pick you up a pair,....OR,...we can get together on that and head over to where he has a stand set up at an antiques place....

stormwatch

New in Town
Golden Era Theatre outing

I would be interested in this, would be nice to put some items to use! Could the attire be anything? Military, worker, student, suit?

Have done several impressions at Reading WWII Weekend over the years.

Tim
West Chester PA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ