Sad jacket post of the day...

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by ButteMT61, Jan 11, 2016.

1. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

Yes, I'm cheating on this to put in the David Bowie pic below.
    I know many here are of my generation and understand the great loss of David Bowie.
    I have nothing to say that's even worthy of his influence and contributions, and I know there's a proper place here in TFL for this, but I'm posting a leather jacket and he happens to be wearing it.
    RIP. Very sad today...

bowie-leather.jpg

sweetfights, bretron, Fanch and 15 others like this.
  2. ton312

ton312

One of my all time favorite childhood memories is his duet with Bing Crosby. An absolute genius of a man.

3. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

A lot of us here (myself included) could never pull off a D-Pocket/Perfecto type jacket. David Bowie could.

Stand By likes this.
  4. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

The guy was so many good things over the decades, and throughout it all, he was always cool.
    My favourites were his duet of "Hallo Spaceboy" with Pet Shop Boys and his duet with Bing.
    I discovered the Radio 1 music chart in the early 70s and he was in it then. I had no idea then (being a kid), but I remember that he had such swagger and poise even then and observing everyone's reaction to him, I just naturally assumed he'd always been around … he was a true artist.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    ton312 likes this.
  5. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

A great loss. Bowie was a uniquely talented genius.

6. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

I never cared at all for the whole Glam/Glitter thing. Seemed like a lot of empty hype - smoke and mirrors. I started to get interested in him when he pulled Iggy Pop out of the L.A. gutter and produced two of Iggy's best solo albums. I think his more recent stuff was on an interesting track. Great performer as well.

7. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

His Berlin period for me is the epitome of pop star cool - teenage school girls of today would struggle to fit in to his 26" waist trousers. From the start of the 70s, right up to the early 80s, he hardly put a foot wrong musically or artistically, and the world is poorer for his departure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    bretron, pawineguy, mr_lits and 2 others like this.
  8. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

I know there's a lot of sadness about today, but hopefully this will raise a smile for those who appreciated and admired David Bowie.

I'd not seen this before (my girlfriend just sent it to me and it made me laugh out loud) but it illustrates to me how and why Ricky can take the rip out of those celebrities at the Golden Globes last night (which, apart from Ricky's intro, was DIRE. We couldn't take more than 30 mins of the celebrities. And that was pushing the boat out) - when he can make such fun of himself.

bretron, Sloan1874 and ButteMT61 like this.
  9. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Sloan1874 likes this.
  10. Mysteryo

Mysteryo Practically Family

Here's a portrait I did of him, years ago. His music was and will be part of my life and work for years to com...
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452546772.552634.jpg

11. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

So very sad to hear this today. The Thin White Duke might have shuffled off this mortal coil but by George has he left us some humdingers of tunes.

It's perhaps a simplification but I can't think of any other way of saying it, he was just, cool.

Stand By likes this.
  12. Monitor

Monitor

Mysterio - a really, really great piece!

Stand By and Mysteryo like this.
  13. philosophy101

philosophy101 A-List Customer

Great portrait, Mysteryo. Thanks so much for posting!

14. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Cool photo and a great loss to the music scene.

15. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

His music has been around as long as I can remember, truly a musical genius. My OR scrub tech told me this morning he had died. I immediately thought of Sloan as I think his avatar is David Bowie, correct me if I'm wrong?

pawineguy likes this.
  16. pawineguy

pawineguy One Too Many

@Fanch, that was my very first thought as well, and we were both in the OR!

@Mysteryo What a great portrait. Very moving.

Agree that in the 70s and 80s he made one great album after another. Once digital music took hold, he was one of a few artists I could loop over and over without getting bored.

Whether one is a fan or not there is no denying his genius.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  17. ton312

ton312

For the past ten years I've worked in the same high school and started my day in the same dirty, musty weight room. The one constant is his duet with Freddy. On bench press I always start "under pressure". The song has never stopped giving me the motivation to push through. Those two voices combined give such inspiration. Sad day indeed.

Stand By likes this.
  18. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

The Cracked Actor, a brilliant BBC doc of Bowie at the height of his LA/Station to Station phase. Watch for the moment when he asks the limo driver if somebody is following them:

19. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Big loss indeed! Sorry to see him pass on...

20. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Just to bring this back closer to home, here's a pic of DB wearing a jacket made by Ken during his London days when he ran Ruskin:

[​IMG]

And in a more familiar form:

[​IMG]

RapidReaper likes this.