Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sad jacket post of the day...

Yes, I'm cheating on this to put in the David Bowie pic below.
I know many here are of my generation and understand the great loss of David Bowie.
I have nothing to say that's even worthy of his influence and contributions, and I know there's a proper place here in TFL for this, but I'm posting a leather jacket and he happens to be wearing it.
RIP. Very sad today...

bowie-leather.jpg

Stand By

One Too Many
The guy was so many good things over the decades, and throughout it all, he was always cool.
My favourites were his duet of "Hallo Spaceboy" with Pet Shop Boys and his duet with Bing.
I discovered the Radio 1 music chart in the early 70s and he was in it then. I had no idea then (being a kid), but I remember that he had such swagger and poise even then and observing everyone's reaction to him, I just naturally assumed he'd always been around … he was a true artist.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I never cared at all for the whole Glam/Glitter thing. Seemed like a lot of empty hype - smoke and mirrors. I started to get interested in him when he pulled Iggy Pop out of the L.A. gutter and produced two of Iggy's best solo albums. I think his more recent stuff was on an interesting track. Great performer as well.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
His Berlin period for me is the epitome of pop star cool - teenage school girls of today would struggle to fit in to his 26" waist trousers. From the start of the 70s, right up to the early 80s, he hardly put a foot wrong musically or artistically, and the world is poorer for his departure.

David-Bowie-in-Munich-in-001.jpg

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
I know there's a lot of sadness about today, but hopefully this will raise a smile for those who appreciated and admired David Bowie.

I'd not seen this before (my girlfriend just sent it to me and it made me laugh out loud) but it illustrates to me how and why Ricky can take the rip out of those celebrities at the Golden Globes last night (which, apart from Ricky's intro, was DIRE. We couldn't take more than 30 mins of the celebrities. And that was pushing the boat out) - when he can make such fun of himself.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
So very sad to hear this today. The Thin White Duke might have shuffled off this mortal coil but by George has he left us some humdingers of tunes.

It's perhaps a simplification but I can't think of any other way of saying it, he was just, cool.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
His music has been around as long as I can remember, truly a musical genius. My OR scrub tech told me this morning he had died. I immediately thought of Sloan as I think his avatar is David Bowie, correct me if I'm wrong?

pawineguy

One Too Many
@Fanch, that was my very first thought as well, and we were both in the OR!

@Mysteryo What a great portrait. Very moving.

Agree that in the 70s and 80s he made one great album after another. Once digital music took hold, he was one of a few artists I could loop over and over without getting bored.

Whether one is a fan or not there is no denying his genius.

Last edited:
For the past ten years I've worked in the same high school and started my day in the same dirty, musty weight room. The one constant is his duet with Freddy. On bench press I always start "under pressure". The song has never stopped giving me the motivation to push through. Those two voices combined give such inspiration. Sad day indeed.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The Cracked Actor, a brilliant BBC doc of Bowie at the height of his LA/Station to Station phase. Watch for the moment when he asks the limo driver if somebody is following them:

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Just to bring this back closer to home, here's a pic of DB wearing a jacket made by Ken during his London days when he ran Ruskin:

And in a more familiar form:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112