Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Diego Leather Quality?

jdj

New in Town
Hello All,

I was recently looking at A2's and G2's from San Diego Leather. I was wondering if anybody can offer an opinion on the quality of their products.
Their prices seem considerably lower for US made than any of the other mainstream online vendors.

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
I assume you mean San Diego Leather Jacket Factory. I don't have any first hand experience but I do know someone that went to their shop once and wasn't impressed.

I checked their site and for only $83 more than they charge for a goatskin G1 you can have one from Gibson & Barnes (www.flightsuits.com) which is an exceptional jacket.

I've got first hand experience with them and own several jackets from Gibson & Barnes.

kojax

Practically Family
g-1 jacket

i am getting a g-1 jacket from gibson -barnes nexet week made of dark seal lambskin there products are nice. i have a a-2 goatskin from them very nice to. you get what you pay for. good luck**

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I've had 2 jackets from San Diego Leather Jacket factory. Bought them both about the same time (I know, I should have bought one and evaluated it). Both were garbage, I recommend avoiding them. Spend the extra money and get something good.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Not Bad

I purchased a G-1 from them about six years ago and it has held up nicely. As it has been stated, you get what you pay for. If you are looking for an "authentic" jacket with all the stitching and zippers and all of the other things serious collectors look for, then they are not for you. If you are looking for a nice looking jacket that will hold up, then I would give them a look. Six years ago their staff was very helpful and courteous. They seem to be a family run business.

jdj

New in Town
Thanks

Thank you gentlemen, I guess I should have been a bit more detailed with my requirements. I am not really looking for "authentic" in this particular purchase. However I am looking for a decent quality product. I would like a reasonably thick and consistent hide,solid zippers and fasteners and consistent workmanship. It has become increasingly difficult to walk into most clothing shops and find a decent jacket, in fact it is annoying to have a sales clerk show you his "best" jackets only to find they are of the same quality as the $99.95 product you saw at a mall.

It would seem all the quality leather jackets stores used to carry have been replaced by Gortex and gheto garb. I've read a few posts on this forum prior to joining and it would seem this is the place to get the straight dope on the various retailers on line. Flightsuits looks pretty good, is there anybody else you gentlemen would recommend? Price is certainly a consideration but quality is important. One of my biggest fears is getting a so-called USA made that isn't or a paper leather mall jacket at an inflated price.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

kojax

Practically Family
i would go with gibson barnes they make a nice jacket.....i just sold a g-1 here to some one on the fourm here. he really likes it........

norton

One of the Regulars
I have the gibson and barnes adventurer jacket and love it. The leather is beautiful and you're able to get long sizes. Their customer service is top notch.

You may pay more there, but you'll get a quality product and won't be over paying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot