Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco...a little help?

zaika

One Too Many
Hey all!
So, my brother and I are very likely going to SF in March (We're going to see Nile and am very excited :D ). We'll be arriving late Friday, March 21st. The concert isn't until Saturday evening. So there are two questions here. What should he and I aspire to do/see on Saturday? The most vintage/interesting/out of the way but easy to get to? And, two, what is the neighborhood like where Slim's is located?
Oh...and one more...
Anyone know of an affordable, and clean, hotel in the downtown area?
Okay. That's all. Thank you so much!
Z
P.S. Dunno if you care to, but if any of you SF FLers want to meet up for lunch, I'd love to meet you! :)

obiwan

Familiar Face
zaika said:
Hey all!
So, my brother and I are very likely going to SF in March (We're going to see Nile and am very excited :D ). We'll be arriving late Friday, March 21st. The concert isn't until Saturday evening. So there are two questions here. What should he and I aspire to do/see on Saturday? The most vintage/interesting/out of the way but easy to get to? And, two, what is the neighborhood like where Slim's is located?
Oh...and one more...
Anyone know of an affordable, and clean, hotel in the downtown area?
Okay. That's all. Thank you so much!
Z
P.S. Dunno if you care to, but if any of you SF FLers want to meet up for lunch, I'd love to meet you! :)

With the decline of the dollar .vs the Euro, rooms, even what I would have called a flea bag, are $400 a night. You would probably be better off using BART and staying in one of the east bay cities.

As for the location, its near civic center which isn't all that bad, there are worse parts of the city.

I can't help too much with what to see vintage, and as far as what else to see? You want tourist type stuff or other things?

zaika

One Too Many
obiwan said:
With the decline of the dollar .vs the Euro, rooms, even what I would have called a flea bag, are $400 a night. You would probably be better off using BART and staying in one of the east bay cities.

As for the location, its near civic center which isn't all that bad, there are worse parts of the city.

I can't help too much with what to see vintage, and as far as what else to see? You want tourist type stuff or other things?

geez....seriously? $400?

i'm interested in non-touristy stuff. things that are odd, unique, interesting...if you can't think of anything. s okay. my bro and i can probably find trouble. :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Talk to Paddy. He recently found a nice hotel for under $80 a night when he was in the citay, in a nice area.

$400 a night!? Please!

Slims isnt near Civic Center, its more South of market, near the industrial area if SF. And as far as vintage things to see in the citay, take a street car, see the Golden Gate, Coit Tower, take a trolly. The whole citay is vintage. Any street will have a mound of treasures to see.

LD

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let's go shopping!!!

Hi Zaika! Of course i want to get together with you and I am sure others will too!
Saturday shopping?
The best street to go to for vintage stuff, is still the Haight Ashbury, there is the highest concentration of vintage stores there.
But for sightseeing, the whole town is indeed old and pretty, and it is definitely worth taking the cable car for the views.
Let us know what you'd like to do - so far I am around and available early Saturday and all day Sunday.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Finding a clean and affordable hotel in downtown SF can be a challenge. But come on, for $450 you can stay at the Four Seasons. The Fairmont is only $259/night. There are also a lot of places in the $100-200 range. But for under $100...and I assume you want a bathroom?

You can try Hotel Whitcomb, it is a building on the Historical Register, has a nice lobby, rooms were small and clean, from $80-100/night (plus parking if applicable). Has a business center with computers, but breakfast was expensive (try the Starbucks instead). It is on Market Street/8th next to a Bart station and a bus/streetcar stop. The downtown/Market Street area is full of homeless people though, be prepared for that wherever you stay.

I stayed at the Best Western Civic Center last weekend (went to the "Steampunk" Edwardian Ball). It was $57-70/night, and clean enough though nothing special, it is a motor inn after all (I saw the maids actually washing the comforters though). They had free parking and breakfast. It is on 9th I believe around Harrison, in the Soma district--so a little gritty but it seems safe enough but kinda lot of traffic noise. Well just about everywhere is loud in SF--if you want peace and quiet, stay home. It is a few blocks from Slims, but so is the Whitcomb.

As for what to do, hitting the vintage shops on the Haight is a good idea. I enjoyed the Barbary Coast 3.8 mile walking tour (I cheated a little with the Cable Cars and Street Cars) , I don't know if that is too touristy for you. I also liked the Musee Mechanique, it has old penny arcade games-but you will have to walk by cheap souvenirs to get there. I like some tourist stuff though.

If that isn't cool enough for you, you could go to the City Lights Bookstore. The "Beat" poets of the 50s used to hang out there. Stalk Hunter S. Thompson's crash pad maybe (318 Parnassus)? I had a nice lunch at the Pagan Thai Cafe in the outer Richmond. That is pretty non-touristy. Never mind that it is kinda near the Cliff House, Sutro Baths and the Palace of Legion of Honor. You can shut your eyes and ignore the view. ;)

zaika

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Hi Zaika! Of course i want to get together with you and I am sure others will too!
Saturday shopping?
The best street to go to for vintage stuff, is still the Haight Ashbury, there is the highest concentration of vintage stores there.
But for sightseeing, the whole town is indeed old and pretty, and it is definitely worth taking the cable car for the views.
Let us know what you'd like to do - so far I am around and available early Saturday and all day Sunday.

Huzzah! lol
I would love to just take a look at the vintage shops, if not to buy, then to peruse and chat.
I'm down for the cable cars. I don't think my brother OR I have ever been on them even though we've both been to SF before.
I'll talk to my brother and then PM you? Thanks!

zaika

One Too Many
Tourbillion said:
Finding a clean and affordable hotel in downtown SF can be a challenge. But come on, for $450 you can stay at the Four Seasons. The Fairmont is only $259/night. There are also a lot of places in the $100-200 range. But for under $100...and I assume you want a bathroom?

You can try Hotel Whitcomb, it is a building on the Historical Register, has a nice lobby, rooms were small and clean, from $80-100/night (plus parking if applicable). Has a business center with computers, but breakfast was expensive (try the Starbucks instead). It is on Market Street/8th next to a Bart station and a bus/streetcar stop. The downtown/Market Street area is full of homeless people though, be prepared for that wherever you stay.

I stayed at the Best Western Civic Center last weekend (went to the "Steampunk" Edwardian Ball). It was $57-70/night, and clean enough though nothing special, it is a motor inn after all (I saw the maids actually washing the comforters though). They had free parking and breakfast. It is on 9th I believe around Harrison, in the Soma district--so a little gritty but it seems safe enough but kinda lot of traffic noise. Well just about everywhere is loud in SF--if you want peace and quiet, stay home. It is a few blocks from Slims, but so is the Whitcomb.

As for what to do, hitting the vintage shops on the Haight is a good idea. I enjoyed the Barbary Coast 3.8 mile walking tour (I cheated a little with the Cable Cars and Street Cars) , I don't know if that is too touristy for you. I also liked the Musee Mechanique, it has old penny arcade games-but you will have to walk by cheap souvenirs to get there. I like some tourist stuff though.

If that isn't cool enough for you, you could go to the City Lights Bookstore. The "Beat" poets of the 50s used to hang out there. Stalk Hunter S. Thompson's crash pad maybe (318 Parnassus)? I had a nice lunch at the Pagan Thai Cafe in the outer Richmond. That is pretty non-touristy. Never mind that it is kinda near the Cliff House, Sutro Baths and the Palace of Legion of Honor. You can shut your eyes and ignore the view. ;)

Thank you SO much! This is what I was looking for.
Both my brother and I love old arcade games, so the museum will be ace!
My travel philosophy is that it's okay to do touristy stuff, as long as there is enough odd and unusual mixed in there for balance. :D

zaika

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Talk to Paddy. He recently found a nice hotel for under $80 a night when he was in the citay, in a nice area.

$400 a night!? Please!

Slims isnt near Civic Center, its more South of market, near the industrial area if SF. And as far as vintage things to see in the citay, take a street car, see the Golden Gate, Coit Tower, take a trolly. The whole citay is vintage. Any street will have a mound of treasures to see.

LD

thank you Lady!! Paddy did PM me...gave me the down low. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112