Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco street corner on Dec 8, 1941

green papaya

One Too Many
Morning after Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Corner of Sutter and Kearny Street, San Francisco, Ca.

SanFran1941.jpg

View attachment 43063
2016-01-27_080619.jpg

2016-01-27_080826.jpg

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Amazing photos, thanks. This perfectly illustrates the tag line that "the 1940s had so much style that even war looked good." The world was going to hell most horribly...but at least a certain dress standard was maintained in certain quarters. I love the guy's hat/tie combination in the top photograph.

DesertDan

One Too Many
The colors and coordination of hats to suits is really an eye-opener! Being used to nothing but black & white photography from that era I never imagined that.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Except these are not period color-photos, but recently colorized black&white photos.

The choice of colors is guesswork/fantasy. Some of them are certainly realistic and probable.
Others are rather fancy and IMO not entirely convincing (the purple suit and matching hat i.e... maybe this was just grey or light brown.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto