Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SAVE CONEY ISLAND

Feraud

Bartender
A quote from the website.
Coney Island has been a substantial part of New York City culture and history since the 1860’s. Now that legacy is being threatened by the real estate company Thor Equities, LLC. The bullying, double-speaking and intimidating of Thor Equities is not unlike the stories of Coney Island from the turn of the last century. This time the amusement park itself is being threatened.

Although this NYC Planning Director Amanda Burden has not granted the Amusement District rezoning for the luxury condos Thor Equities has in mind, the company has already started the process of evicting the hardworking companies, that made Coney Island what it is, off the boardwalk, as well as starting demolition in the district.

In accordance with their deception and their crooked actions, they are also trying to use the amusement park as a bargaining tool against the city. If they are not granted the rezoning for the residential status, they are threatening to close the amusement park.

These behaviors are appalling, and should not be tolerated. Thor Equities should be used as an example against corporation dictatorship in the planning of the future of New York City. The Planning Director of NYC has taken a strong stand against the rezoning of this area, and we, the undersigned, are supporting her decision to stand by the legacy of Coney Island. SAVE CONEY!!

for more information, or to see what other steps can be made, please go to SAVE CONEY ISLAND or email at saveconey@gmail.com

I signed the petition.

Just an fyi, Astroland is opening this Sunday for it's final summer before it is torn down.

VivianRegan

One of the Regulars
I'm speechless.

But I'll say something anyway. I vowed never to go back since the destruction of the Thunderbolt. I haven't seen that baseball thing they built.

Me 'n' developers don't mix :rage:

Feraud

Bartender
The Cyclone's stadium is a nice addition to the area.
This development deal they have hatched will mean the end of Coney Island as we know it.

VivianRegan

One of the Regulars
But I assume, and hope, that probably the only untouched attractions will be the Cyclone and maybe the Wonder Wheel (they can move that around, I'm sure).

That doesn't make it any easier to take. Where will the mermaids go? Right up to the offices of these yaks, I hope! The freakshow peeps, too...

My Coney Island experience was actually very sad. It was the 4th of July, 2001, and there were mounted police to keep people in line. I saw a man relieve himself further down by the old location of the Parachute Jump, and people finishing their McDonald's, then dropping the litter on the boardwalk!

In general, it's a weird place that should remain. There are plenty of other places to build luxury whatever.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Signed.

A friend of mine in Long Island has always wanted to visit Coney Island. Here's hoping she will in the future.

Dalexs

Practically Family
My brother just sent me this link from the weekend:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070401/lf_nm/coney_dc

But iconic Coney Island sites will remain. In addition to the roller coaster, the Wonder Wheel Ferris wheel and the Steeplechase parachute jump that, while no longer operational towers over the playground, are all protected from the wrecking ball by their U.S. national landmark status.

While the park is going to undergo a major thrashing, at least some of the more memorable icons will survive.

I think I may have to make a special trip down soon.
So much for childhood memories!

Feraud

Bartender
Oh boy. I knew this was coming..
Developer Thor Equities plans a $2 billion amusement, retail and residential project along the boardwalk. The plan, which some reports have characterized as "Vegas-style," includes more than 20 new rides.

Besides amusements, it envisions entertainment, what it calls a "family hotel" and indoor water park, retail spaces and residential condos and hotel timeshares.

Is is better to have a dilapidated, less populated Coney Island or give it the dreaded Vegas/Times Square treatment? There are pros and cons to both sides I guess..

Dalexs

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
Umm...is there something slightly biased about that sentence?

lol Thats what I get for skimming articles...

What will probably happen is that after all is said and done, it'll basically be an Atlantic City knockoff while trying to
pass itself off as a piece of history.

I for one plan on heading down this summer for one last romp with the ol' girl.
Let mew know if anyone is interested.

Dalexs

Practically Family
You local guys have it so good... just ahop on the train... dodge some bullets and knives, and you're there!

I'm talking with my brothers about this and we'll probably do something later this summer.
I'll be in touch.

Now, if I get get down to NY for work... I'm sure I can work in a side trip...

Every year I say I'm going to drive my car in the Mermaid Parade and I never do it. But I do go down to Coney Island at least once every season to do two things: ride the Cyclone and get a soft pistachio cone (the only place I've ever found it). I used to ride the old carousel too, but, sadly, that closed down two seasons ago. I'm up for any trip down there, but I may be taking my nephew as soon as next week.

Regards,

Senator Jack: A Quinn Martin Production

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana