Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 1928

dannyk

One Too Many
AA29E0E5-FA4D-4A6A-8CC0-69DB1D9D81E4.jpeg
B768F5F9-6F69-4C4E-91DD-B27A53C85A5C.jpeg
1D027AA3-139B-49A1-9B86-5EB892F0D4D2.jpeg
5D33566D-E40B-4D3B-91EC-A52DBF58A430.jpeg
AA29E0E5-FA4D-4A6A-8CC0-69DB1D9D81E4.jpeg
49728D0E-537D-46C6-BF5D-03E520B89521.jpeg
Hey guys need your opinions. I’m not including fit pics as of now as it’s not a fit issue for me. I picked this Schott up years ago for a song and dance. And it’s currenlt my only D-Pocket. But completely forgot about it until doing some cleaning today. Can’t decide to keep or move on. And if I move in gauging price will be extremely hard. It’s eserntially a 628HV1. Which was the vintaged version of their 1928 model they released for the 75th anniversary. But it is not a 628HV1 it’s actually an MBLE. It has some minor detailing differences and is a limited edition of a limited edition. It was a 50 piece run done for a Spanish Distributor. The positives are it fits beautifully. My only D-Pocket. Super limited edition based on one of Schotts best aesthetic designs ever. The negatives are the lack of stars on the epaulets. Which were not on the 1928 model I know but if you’re going to own a Schott you get the stars. Also same boat I know it shouldn’t be there but no snaps to add a mouton collar. Lightweight horsehide and I’ve grown accustomed to heavier hides. The faded black can look grey under certain lights. Usually doubts come from fit. But this isn’t it. I just don’t know how to feel about it after rediscovering it. Let’s hear some opinions and if anyone has any idea on value let’s hear that.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Keep it. It fits. It's rare. It's yours.

The stars are, well, kinda dumb, frankly. You can get some and add them if you really want, but I'd really recommend not doing that. Not to a rare limited edition jacket that has some value if you decide you want to sell it later. Mouton collars are not that important, not a must have. If the lightweight bothers you to where you really won't wear it, then sell it.

dannyk

One Too Many
Keep it. It fits. It's rare. It's yours.

The stars are, well, kinda dumb, frankly. You can get some and add them if you really want, but I'd really recommend not doing that. Not to a rare limited edition jacket that has some value if you decide you want to sell it later. Mouton collars are not that important, not a must have. If the lightweight bothers you to where you really won't wear it, then sell it.
I mean you’re right. It’s more of a I’ve had it for 2 years and essentially forgot about it until now. As much as I want to own every jacket on earth, I also want to crease up and get my own patina. I’ve gone through a must have phase and a custom phase. Now I’m more about appreciating what I have. So I’m thinking 2 years and it’s been worn like 3 times by me. But will it be a case of I sell it and realize what I had? Even if I barely ever wear it again. It’s super rare and really well made. And one of the best Schott designs they’ve ever had. One of the super rare instances I can say I really am not leaning either way. The feedback here really can persuade me. Thanks for your input!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I mean you’re right. It’s more of a I’ve had it for 2 years and essentially forgot about it until now. As much as I want to own every jacket on earth, I also want to crease up and get my own patina. I’ve gone through a must have phase and a custom phase. Now I’m more about appreciating what I have. So I’m thinking 2 years and it’s been worn like 3 times by me. But will it be a case of I sell it and realize what I had? Even if I barely ever wear it again. It’s super rare and really well made. And one of the best Schott designs they’ve ever had. One of the super rare instances I can say I really am not leaning either way. The feedback here really can persuade me. Thanks for your input!

Well, wear it for a few weeks at least, every day, and then decide. That's all you need to do. No need for anyone else's opinion, really, after that.

dannyk

One Too Many
I like to call this another of the TFL effects. We become such scrutinizes and so hung up on such things. Always trying to do better, adjust this, maybe change that and so on. We so easily convince ourselves of things that aren’t true or no one else can see. I obviously liked it enough to buy it at one point....

Edward

Bartender
The stars are an odd thing to fixate on, imo - but then I don't think I've ever seen a 613 in the UK; 618s and 118s don't have them; indeed, for the majority of Schott's timeline, after replacing the 613 with the 618 up until reintroducing the 613 in relatively recent years, they didn't make a jacket with stars, and even now it's only on a small fraction of the line (one jacket?).

All in, sounds to me much like you'd rather have a 613 but are either worried that this one won't sell for what you'd want to get based on its rarity, or are worried that you'll later regret the sale because if you sell this one now you're unlikely to be able to replace it. Unless this one has a stand-out feature that really differentiates it from the standard 1928 model, I'd expect it to go for the same price. Don't see many of them in the UK, though one recently sold, NOS, for around GBP400 (which is around 60-80% of the current new price of a 618. No idea what these were new in the UK, but the average used Schott now seems to sell here for 30-40% of the new price). There's somebody on eBay selling two used 1928 models made from a Horween hide; they're looking GBP1500 odds, but that seems optimistic at best to me.

I have a guitar I'm very much in this position over - it's not one I'm particularly attached to any longer, but I'm reluctant to let it go for a fraction of what I spent on it. I think, ultimately, it's a matter of deciding how much you're prepared to take for it against it hanging forever in the wardrobe if you're really not wearing it. Sometimes it's better just ot let something go, no matter how rare, and buy instead what you really want.

dannyk

One Too Many
Haha it was purchased spur of the moment and during a move. Put in a storage bin and then sat there in the basement. And Edward I actually have a 613sh so not my issue. I think I’m looking for reasons to not want it. But can’t think of any.

I'd keep it! Schott rarely does a d pocket and this one is as good looking as any I've seen them do. I personally love the snap on winter mouton collars. They add a really nice touch to this style of jacket. Certainly not manditory but I really think they add to the look. If you really wanted one. Johnson leathers could make one for you. It might not necessarily make sense on a lighter weight jacket tho.

Edward

Bartender
Haha it was purchased spur of the moment and during a move. Put in a storage bin and then sat there in the basement. And Edward I actually have a 613sh so not my issue. I think I’m looking for reasons to not want it. But can’t think of any.

Well, in that case then it's a straight choice - do you need to get rid (storage space or cash shortage), or is there no problem with it lying in the wardrobe not worn often? If you don't need the money and aren't bursting to sell, I'd be inclined to hang on to it then, wear it here and there; A d pocket is a nice alternative to the Perfecto style.

I'd keep it! Schott rarely does a d pocket and this one is as good looking as any I've seen them do. I personally love the snap on winter mouton collars. They add a really nice touch to this style of jacket. Certainly not manditory but I really think they add to the look. If you really wanted one. Johnson leathers could make one for you. It might not necessarily make sense on a lighter weight jacket tho.

If you want to preserve the rarity of the piece, I'd be wary of adding the stud for the mouton collar. If you're not worried about it, that could be a way of adding something else to it. If you got the stud fitted in the right place, I wonder if one of the standard Schott collars would be a cheaper alternative - the collars on this jacket the same size / shape as on your 613?

I guess - again, if you're not worried about compromising originality - you could also have mouton added as a permanent collar layer, if that made it different again enough than your 613? I do like the look of a mouton on this style of jacket, puts me in mind of Johnny Thunders.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That piece may be rare but you have to factor in the fact that Schott still exists and they kept reproducing the same model using different model numbers. I have the 1928HH made for the Japanese market and that is not even a "limited" model but with the same design..

dannyk

One Too Many
Im not so concerned with "limited" I mean its limited as in this very specific MBLE was 50 pieces for a Spanish Distributor. But you have that model which is almost identical, they made the 628hv1, theres the context collab d pocket. I through my dislikes out there because of TFL effects. Im looking to get rid of it, but I honestly cannot say why. It doesnt need to go anywhere I have space, I just never wore it and almost forgot about it. Its more the fact I have 4 black cross zips at the moment. Only one is a d-pocket so that alone, the fact it fits well, and its somewhat limited style means keep it. But lately Ive had this feeling weve all probably had of we spend so much time and money chasing perfection and then wishing for what we had, or realizing it doesnt truly exist. Theres always a new maker, new style, new hide...I own this and a 613sh. I really only need on Schott. I have a Vanson as well currently. I want a D-1 or B-6 from Aero. I want a Cascade in brown cow, or their goat. I want a Lost Worlds probably one of their J models like Ton has. I guess what Im saying is Im done really chasing, and doing full customs. It gets nowhere really.And costs a lot. So Ive kind of thought to myself recently what do I really want to keep, and why not get one of my favorite models from each maker I really want, in something they specialize in and thats all I need. So at this point I get more use out of the 613sh, and it goes with more of my overall style. The other part of me says this is a rarer although not super rare model, and its my only d-pocket. I hate TFL and I hate myself hahaha.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ Ha Ha, TFL affect agreed here! :)

Personally I would keep it and wear the heck out of it.

I'm in a place of pulling back some, just wearing what I have, and really enjoying them for what they are. I'm at a comfortable number now, not too excessive and have too many paris of boots to move along, so that's the next project. Enjoy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB