Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 602 Police Jacket

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Here is a jacket that has already split opinions in the "what are you wearing today" thread, I thought i would take some better pics today as i have more time this morning and there aren't many pics of this model anywhere online.

This was dated as a late 60s to late 70s jacket by the label. It was not issued as it doesn't have any traces of shoulder emblems.
It is designed to be worn over a duty belt and is very bell shaped because of that.
It has three adjustment snaps, two for wearing whilst carrying and one much tighter one that i assume would be used when not wearing a belt.
Interestingly the bottom of the jacket is lined with thick vinyl on the inside, i don't know why vinyl would react better to rubbing against a gun but apparently it does.

The leather is a thick and very heavily coated Steer hide, not much grain but it doesn't look like it was worn very much at all. It is super smooth and very waterproof.
The lining is a very thick quilting, which is nice and warm. The sleeves have built in storm cuffs which weirdly are right in the middle of the forearm.
The pockets are lined in a nice wool fabric and are at the perfect position to walk around with your hands in your pockets. They keep your arms in a very comfortable position.

This jacket isn't pretty or well made, but it feels tough, and after wearing it a few days i am liking it more and more. It keeps you warm and dry, the fact that it covers your lower back/upper arse is also very nice in bad weather.

Like some have said previously, it isn't going to replace my LaBrea anytime soon style wise, but i have to say that if i had to go out on a rainy winter morning knowing i would have to stand around in the street all day, i would pick the 602 any day over the LaBrea.

1wfmhPJ.jpg

We546n1.jpg

s5WM6Oc.jpg

u9C6iNw.jpg

4s9lpEg.jpg

And fit pics, not the most flattering i know... But this is never going to be a jacket i wear for looks, this is built for comfort!
This is with the adjustment snap on snap 2. Snap 3 works but is very tight. I might add a snap in between 2 and 3 which would be perfect for me.

jcPnT72.jpg

ptuFWjc.jpg

lZnxE8P.jpg

I can't see how anyone could argue this isn't a good fit! I've seen several high end jackets not fit NEARLY this well yet somehow receive praise to the contrary. Is yours a long size? The sleeves on mine were impossibly short and that's what ultimately led to it being sold.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I can't see how anyone could argue this isn't a good fit! I've seen several high end jackets not fit NEARLY this well yet somehow receive praise to the contrary. Is yours a long size? The sleeves on mine were impossibly short and that's what ultimately led to it being sold.

Thanks, yep it's a 42" long. It seems the long sizes aren't very common, and the regular sizes usually have 23" or 24" sleeves which are super short.

Here are the measurements for this one:

Pit to pit: 22.5”
Back length: 30.5”
Front length: 26"
Bottom hem: 20”-24"
Shoulders: 19”
Arms length: 27”

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
And fit pics, not the most flattering i know... But this is never going to be a jacket i wear for looks, this is built for comfort!
What's wrong with the fit? It's fine. Don't listen to the guys who think leather jackets should be skin-tight.
Thanks, yep it's a 42" long. It seems the long sizes aren't very common, and the regular sizes usually have 23" or 24" sleeves which are super short.
That seems pretty normal, even among vintage overcoats, and it's probably due to men being on average shorter in the period the jacket was made. It makes it difficult for tall men today who like vintage clothing.

Here are the measurements for this one:

Pit to pit: 22.5”
Back length: 30.5”
Front length: 26"
Bottom hem: 20”-24"
Shoulders: 19”
Arms length: 27”
Man I'd love one of those with those numbers...ultimate leather utility jacket and it looks spot on perfect fit wise. At least from my point of view.

dannyk

One Too Many
Its not a biker jacket, so thats the way this is meant to fit. For the style it fits you perfectly. If youre not sure of the style on you then I would say move it on. But I would have 0 doubts about the fit since its meant to look just like that.

zebedee

One Too Many
I think that the fit is exactly right and that it looks great. If you don't like it, though, move it on.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
That's quite a find, especially in the condition it's in. And it doesn't look half as bad as you make it out to. I think it's a definite keepr.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
That's an interesting jacket, no doubts. It looks good from the front but (just to my taste) is quite disputable looking from the back. I repeat - that's just to my taste, it's my humble opinion.

What I said earlier - this jacket fits you absolutely perfectly, which is to say, it fits you just good as any other jacket that you have and I'll just say it but anyone who says otherwise is plain wrong. It doesn't fit the same, of course, but to expect this purpose built jacket to fit the same as, I don't know, the LaBrea would be downright ridiculous.

As it stands, it looks fantastic on you and from everything you've said and everything that I know, it sounds like a really impressive piece of leather in its own right. I can totally understand why it's becoming one of your fav jackets. These cop jackets are some of my favorite, I've been looking at all the different styles for quite a while now and I know that getting one that'd fit nearly as good as this is nothing short of a miracle.

Only makes me more sad I missed out on a similar looking Vanson. Which was sold with a fur collar.

I'll be on the hunt for this one, that's for sure.

Like you said, the flare at the bottom is for carrying or duty belt. It serves a purpose and I would love one, especially in this condition. Very utilitarian jacket with more options to conceal. My thought is that if you aren’t carrying then the jacket would look better without the bell. But it still looks very good!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a good fit to me. I don't personally like the design, but it's unique and does fit you well. A cool collector's piece.

Pretty strong statement there pal. So anyone who may not agree with you is 'wrong' and therefore their opinion deserves no consideration. Sadly this way of thinking and commenting seems so common these days.

Yeah, it is a strong statement because I strongly believe that I am right. I'm surprised that you of all the FL members would find someone standing by their own beliefs sad but of course, that's something you're entitled to.

But let's not turn this into a discussion - What I mean is, if, as some of the other guys have noted, this jacket doesn't fit Carlos well, then I simply don't see how else the manufacturer would have intended this particular style of a jacket to fit?
Because considering that every single part of this jacket fits just the way it's supposed to, that every seam sits at just the right place and just the right angle, not to mention that Carlos himself says that the jacket feels very comfortable... How else would you define a good fitting leather jacket?

Psant25

One Too Many
My opinion is that the fit is ok. I'm not a fan of this jacket style. To me it looks like the mix of a couple jacket styles that do not really go together in my eyes. i.e. a collared Vanson B, some police moto jacket touches, and car coat type fit

I will add that I think you have some awesome jackets that fit you perfect I would let this one go. I could not see grabbing this over one of your other jackets in the stable

How often do you see a member here state their opinion but then add - anyone who says otherwise is wrong. That addition is a form of belittling any who may not agree. That's the sad part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff