Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 689H Fit Check

The Rock Company

New in Town
Howdy folks,

I am new here and am looking for some advice on jacket fit.

I have had this Schott 689H for almost a year. I wore it a lot last winter and spring to break it in and it is starting to soften up nicely now and conform to me. My chest measures 39" and I have an athletic build. I ordered a size 38, ignoring the recommendation from Schott to size up and I go back and forth as to whether this fits me well. There is ample room in the torso and the arms with just a t-shirt but sometimes I think the shoulders feels tight. Also when I put my arms forward in riding position the back bunches up, not sure if this is normal or bad sizing?

I would appreciate all y'alls input.

IMG_5138.JPG
IMG_5147.JPG
IMG_5156.JPG
IMG_5177.JPG
IMG_5182.JPG
IMG_5199.JPG
IMG_5255.JPG
IMG_5269.JPG
IMG_5309.jpg
IMG_5318.JPG

The Rock Company

New in Town
Also, here are a couple pics with a thick hoodie underneath for y'all to advise me on as well. I will wear it like this for cold weather riding. Interestingly enough, when I am wearing the hoodie underneath, the jacket does not lift up with my arms forward. I assume it is because the extra material in the arm holes has been taken up be the volume of the hoodie.

Thanks again.
IMG_5219.JPG
IMG_5228.JPG
IMG_5238.JPG
IMG_5249.JPG

Wardo1974

A-List Customer
The arms always look tight on these for me but I guess it's the style.

Can you cross your arms in front of you?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Howdy folks,

I am new here and am looking for some advice on jacket fit.

I have had this Schott 689H for almost a year. I wore it a lot last winter and spring to break it in and it is starting to soften up nicely now and conform to me. My chest measures 39" and I have an athletic build. I ordered a size 38, ignoring the recommendation from Schott to size up and I go back and forth as to whether this fits me well. There is ample room in the torso and the arms with just a t-shirt but sometimes I think the shoulders feels tight. Also when I put my arms forward in riding position the back bunches up, not sure if this is normal or bad sizing?

I would appreciate all y'alls input.

View attachment 455779 View attachment 455780 View attachment 455781 View attachment 455782 View attachment 455783 View attachment 455784 View attachment 455785 View attachment 455786 View attachment 455787 View attachment 455788 .
How tall are you? It could be a tad bit short in the body on you.

For the 689H, I sized down, not up. I have a 40, and it fits nice. A 42 that I tried on looked way too roomy on me, and didn't give the tailored look I was after. It looks like yours is a nice, close fit, but possibly a bit on the short side. You could remedy that by wearing higher waisted pants, or by looking into whether they can make a Tall size for you. Although, the sleeves look alright to me.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I think it looks perfect
but as was said already, what looks good doesn't always feel good. if how it fits is giving you second thoughts when you want to wear it then this isnt the right jacket for you.

The Rock Company

New in Town
How tall are you? It could be a tad bit short in the body on you.

For the 689H, I sized down, not up. I have a 40, and it fits nice. A 42 that I tried on looked way too roomy on me, and didn't give the tailored look I was after. It looks like yours is a nice, close fit, but possibly a bit on the short side. You could remedy that by wearing higher waisted pants, or by looking into whether they can make a Tall size for you. Although, the sleeves look alright to me.
Hi, I am 6'1" but wear a regular suit jacket. When i first got it i considered it being a little to short bat after wearing it a bit I decided that if it where an inch longer (which the size 40 would be) then it would ride up when sitting on the bike. This sits just right at my lap when sitting.

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars
Also, here are a couple pics with a thick hoodie underneath for y'all to advise me on as well. I will wear it like this for cold weather riding. Interestingly enough, when I am wearing the hoodie underneath, the jacket does not lift up with my arms forward. I assume it is because the extra material in the arm holes has been taken up be the volume of the hoodie.

Thanks again.
View attachment 455789 View attachment 455790 View attachment 455791 View attachment 455792
It looks really good on you, definitely a keeper unless it is somehow feels intolerable for you. Now I want one myself. This Schott jacket reminds me of my Vanson. Amazing jacket actually. Winner.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Perfect. This one is made for you. Regarding the pull, IMO it is because the armhole seam is not exactly at your armpit/shoulder end position (your shoulder not broad enough). If you pull the shoulder seam in by hand so the seam fit right under your armpit, you will feel the difference. On the other hand adding a hoodie makes the seam fit better to your now broadened shoulder and therefore no pull. A shoulder pad may also do the job.

Last edited:

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
The jacket looks good and fits you well. I snagged one of these in size 46 on Ebay earlier this year. It was like new in every way - barely worn. It really is a nice jacket and the fit (for me) is just right. The quilted lining is only in the torso as the sleeves are lined in some sort of cotton twill.

You've got a winner with your 689H!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ