Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 'Aviator'-style Bike Jacket 42"

H.Johnson

One Too Many
For Sale - Schott 'Aviator'-style Bike Jacket 42"
---------------------------------------------

I usually know exactly where the contents of my closets come from and the stories behind them, but I must admit I haven't a clue where I got this or how long I have had it! Anyway, it's seriously weird (call that vintage and interesting), it's now too big and it's in the way, so it has to go.

It's a kind of cross between a bike jacket and flying jacket and is interesting to say the least. It has a Schott Sportswear label. It's in a nice, smooth, fine grained chestnut leather (probably horsehide) and a sort of fake-fur sheepskin lining. It has brass Talon zips with grenade-pin pullers (all work perfectly) and a waist belt with buckle and buckle adjusters on the sleeves. There are shoulder caps as were often seen on Kursland (Star Sportswear) jackets. The collar is huge has a touch of an early 'aviator' jacket about it.

I queried this with Schott and they were rather puzzled, although someone recalled having seen one before. Unfortunately the pocket tag is faded beyond deciphering. I have seen one that was very similar but didn't have the fake fur lining. I would intuitively date it to the 60s. If and when Schott get back to me I'll let you know!

The condition is very good with a few scuffs but no significant wear. the sleeve cuffs have been reinforced at some time with stitching on the edges, but don't seem to have worn through. This isn't really noticeable. The measurements are roughly as follows, laid flat:
Armpit to armpit = 22"
Tailor's arm (nape to cuff) = 23"
Back length (nape to hem) = 24"

jackets005-3.jpg

jackets009-2.jpg

jackets010-1.jpg

jackets007-3.jpg

jackets008-2.jpg

This is an unusual jacket and will appeal to the individualist. It therefore needs a good home and is priced accordingly at 80GBP, buyer to pay shipping.

Edward

Bartender
Puts me in mind, a touch, of the one worn by Jude Law in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow:

Feature_SkyCaptain-med.jpg

If memory serves, SC's was a custom one-of, designed by Stella MaCartney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk