Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott B-257S quality control

51telecaster

New in Town
I just bought two B-257S jackets so I can compare them. The fleece around the cuffs and the bottom edge of the jacket have very visible white fabric the fleece is attached to. The white tape is very visible sticking up out of the fleece. It kind of looks like white adhesive tape (which it isn"t of course) No Pix to post. Ordered white fleece and it's really very thin and golden-tinged. Has anyone seen this? I am NOT here to trash Schott. I own quite a few leather jackets from them. I have never seen this on friend's jackets. Two random calls to their retail stores confirm this. Nobody there seems to know if this is a recent thing or not. Sent pix to the factory and have not heard back from them. White tape is easily seen at distance and nothing you have to look closely to see. Very sloppy. It almost looks like a recent trainee made them. I think I am not destined to own this jacket.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Without pic it’s really hard to understand.

The white stuff in photo below is just the cross section of the leather. Is this what you mean? Or there’s actually another tape?

The way these are made is the fur gets trimmed back just enough so the sewing machine can stitch the grain leather part to the finished flesh shell.

Really need to see your pics to understand your situation.

IMG_0848.jpeg

51telecaster

New in Town

The white stuff in photo below is just the cross section of the leather. Is this what you mean? Or there’s actually another tape?

The way these are made is the fur gets trimmed back just enough so the sewing machine can stitch the grain leather part to the finished flesh shell.

View attachment 566039

51telecaster

New in Town

View attachment 566039
It's similar to yours. The fabric or skin is visible all around the bottom edge of the Jacket as if it's too tall or the fleece is too short. My "better half" noticed it the first time I tried it on.......at distance form the jacket. Maybe I will go to the Schott store and look at other samples. The fleece itself is quite thin and really close-cropped, not curly at all. A "crew cut" compared to other 257 jackets I have seen. What I might have to do is check the Schott store every few months. Sooner or later they will get a thicker delivery of pelts. It may depend on the season and original source of the pelts. The jackets I saw at the shop in September 2022 were significantly thicker. I have my work cut out for me. The ones I have just don't make the grade. Thanks for your pix.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I just checked they’re over 1500 bucks for a new one now. At that price bracket you got options. They will be military repros and not civilian style with the hand warmers. Though B6 has hand warmers and the custom makers can probably accommodate using thicker B3 fur. Look around the forum and check them out.

51telecaster

New in Town
Thank You. I've been a Schott guy for decades. I am going to give up on the jacket totally. I will check their store once in a while. If in another season I see one with a thick pelt, I will buy it on the spot. Going to return both of them. Besides the tape or skin (what ever it is) I am more unhappy with the really thin pelt. It really seems it's not much more that 1/4" thick. Maybe a bit more. I'm going to use those funds toward another Fender guitar for now. Thanks again for the reply .Goodbye Schott B-257S (for now)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner