Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott CAF1 Horsehide question

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I want one of these horse cafe racers but size is a big question. Schott tell me I may need an XL and Wade at Insurrection in Seattle (he
stocks CAF1 too) tells me I need an M and would "drown" in a L. Who's correct? Both know their products.

I want it to fit so I can wear a sweater underneath it, but I don't want it to be too baggy. As it happens Schott were not even sure what the back length of the jacket was. On the site it says 27 inches for a L, Gail said 25.5 inches for an L and later changed that to 26.5...

I'm confused. Anyone with one of these shed any light on sizing? It's different to other Schotts - which are kind of all over the place size wise.

I'm six feet two, 185 pounds, medium build and wear a 42 in a suit.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
If you like the HH cafe jacket you may want to look at this jacket:

http://www.legendaryusa.com/Thoroughbred-Horsehide-Racer-Motorcycle-Jacket-p/6045h.htm

Schott NYC makes these jackets for Legendary USA, good quality, you can get 10% off with a coupon off Facebook, just ask them about it. I bought one for riding and love the jacket, fit was a bit roomy, I am a measured 46 but ordered the 44 and the fit was spot on.

It isn't vintage and it is probably a bit shorter than the jacket you are looking at, but I'm not sure what the use is going to be for. The Schott CAF1 HH looks far too long to be comfortable on a motorcycle.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. I'm not keen on the Legendary - too short and heavy. As I don't ride, and I like longer jackets, it's the CAF1 that interests me, even though I'm not keen on "aged" HH.

If Wade is wrong - I don;t plan on sending parcels from Australia to Seattle in the quest to get a good fit. I'd like to do some homework first, which is the reason for my post.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Oh ok if you're not using it to ride a motorcycle I definitely wouldn't recommend the Legendary HH jacket. It is really a motorcycle jacket and not a very comfortable daily wearer.

garzo

One of the Regulars
Schott should offer the CAF1 in a regular, non-vintage leather at a lower price. It's a great looking jacket but the vintage leather is too pricey. In fact, they should also offer this model in naked cowhide. And they could add some hand zip pockets while they're at it.

garzo

One of the Regulars
Hey Seb,

Ideally it would be best to try them on but being down under, that's obviously not possible. It sounds like you're pretty tall, so that fact alone would make me think you need at least an L, especially at 185 lbs. Otherwise the length you are looking for just won't be there. Notice on the website they say it's 27 inches on size Large. But then again, Schott claims their 184SM model is 27 inches long too but it's in fact more like 25.5 -26 inches in length, depending where on the collar you hold the tape measure.

What do you usually wear in jackets, Large?

Here's what Insurrection says:

Fit and purchase guidelines: The Schott Horsehide Classic Cafe' Racer fits true to size. Therefore, if you're usually a large in men's garments, order a large. They're fitted jackets, just like the original 1950s and 1960s cafe' racers. For a more generous fit, please order one size larger than what you usually wear in most men's garments.

Last edited:

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
...LOL...

Hey guys! So, I'm 6'1", 200 lbs. and here's a picture of me in a size M Caf1--

7018910.jpg

I was going to take the photo in a size L, but it simply was too large on me for the photo to look good and for us to help Schott sell jackets. Hope that this helps.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hey Seb,

Ideally it would be best to try them on but being down under, that's obviously not possible. It sounds like you're pretty tall, so that fact alone would make me think you need at least an L, especially at 185 lbs. Otherwise the length you are looking for just won't be there. Notice on the website they say it's 27 inches on size Large. But then again, Schott claims their 184SM model is 27 inches long too but it's in fact more like 25.5 -26 inches in length, depending where on the collar you hold the tape measure.

Fit and purchase guidelines: The Schott Horsehide Classic Cafe' Racer fits true to size. Therefore, if you're usually a large in men's garments, order a large. They're fitted jackets, just like the original 1950s and 1960s cafe' racers. For a more generous fit, please order one size larger than what you usually wear in most men's garments.

I hear you Wade, and thanks for posting. The L says Schott is 20 inches shoudlers, 24 inches pit to pit, 26 inch sleeves, 26.5 back length. Sounds like a 42 long to me. But given your own measurments, I think I trust your advioce the most. Is it a 27 inch length?

Maybe you need to adjust the size recommendation on your website about ordering teh next size up. Cheers.

Last edited:

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hey Seb,

I need to change this to read: "Fit and purchase guidelines: The Schott Horsehide Classic Cafe' Racer runs a tad large. Therefore, if you're usually a large in men's garments, order a medium. They're fitted jackets, when sized appropriately, just like the original 1950s and 1960s cafe' racers. For a more generous fit, please order what you usually wear in most men's garments."

The medium is plenty long, measuring about 26.5 to 27 inches in length.

garzo

One of the Regulars
...LOL...

Hey guys! So, I'm 6'1", 200 lbs. and here's a picture of me in a size M Caf1--

7018910.jpg

I was going to take the photo in a size L, but it simply was too large on me for the photo to look good and for us to help Schott sell jackets. Hope that this helps.

Wow, 6'1, 200lbs and a size M?! Talk about size consistency ... or lack thereof. I love Schott, but their sizing is anything but straightforward or standard or even just plain normal.
Having said that, it sounds like the Legendary USA horsehide cafe racer is similarly cut very large ...

Hey Mojo, what's your regular size? I would guess XL or 44-46, right?

Last edited:

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Wow, 6'1, 200lbs and a size M?! Talk about size consistency ... or lack thereof. I love Schott, but their sizing is anything but straightforward or standard or even just plain normal.
Having said that, it sounds like the Legendary USA horsehide cafe racer is similarly cut very large ...

Hey Mojo, what's your regular size? I would guess XL or 44-46, right?

I wear a 42 in the Aero Slimfit jackets, a 44 in Vanson, and if I buy stuff off-the-rack at the mall, I'm a L or XL, depending on the brand and type of garment.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
it sounds like the Legendary USA horsehide cafe racer is similarly cut very large ...

I wear a 46 in Vanson, I bought the Legendary HH jacket in a 44 and it doesn't fit trim, I would've needed a 42 for that. I ride late into the winter so I need to layer considerably underneath so I need room. It is definitely cut large.

garzo

One of the Regulars
I wear a 42 in the Aero Slimfit jackets, a 44 in Vanson, and if I buy stuff off-the-rack at the mall, I'm a L or XL, depending on the brand and type of garment.

So what are "Aero Slimfit jackets"? Are they a new line?
I've owned a couple of Aeros and have had similar problems as with Schott. The first Highwayman 44 I ordered years ago was a tad too small and tight, so I got rid of it. Then the 46 Highwayman in thick mottled FQ horsehide I got next was a bit too big, so got rid of that too. Against better judgment, I picked up a size 46 in the medium horsehide some time ago and it fits very well. After that, I spotted a great looking Fonzie Happy Days jacket in FQ Horsehide in size 44 but fit like a 46. It's become one of my regular jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic