Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott Leather Bomber Jacket

normanf

One of the Regulars
This is a Schott Leather Bomber Jacket. Dates from the early 1970s, in excellent condition.

416-3002.jpg

I picked it up from an online vintage store for a song, in large.

Navin323i

Practically Family
This is a Schott Leather Bomber Jacket. Dates from the early 1970s, in excellent condition.

416-3002.jpg

I picked it up from an online vintage store for a song, in large.

This is going to sound crazy but I just picked up practically an identical Schott jacket from a different online vintage store... 60s from the Vietnam era. Hopefully it should arrive today or tomorrow.

Your jacket looks great by the way. :)

Edward

Bartender
Those can be nice. My first "A2" was actually a second hand jacket of this style and period. If you're not looking for an accurate repro of a specific military style, it's not too hard to find one of these at a knock-down price on the used market. Especially so if you're not worried about having the Schott brand name. Very practical, too, if you find one complete with the removable collar and body liner. The only real drawback that I could see is the fit - a lot of these were cut with a much baggier, more modern fit to them. With one of the right size and cut, though, they wouldn't be a bad stab at a civilian jacket from that first post-war decade when a lot of outwear appeared that was clearly inspired by but not designed to replicate military clothing.

normanf

One of the Regulars
I think it has a sheepskin lining so it might be suitable for winter wear. I have a B-3 but its too heavy to move about in and I'm looking for something that's warm and light.

It looks like you found a keeper one too! Congrats!

normanf

One of the Regulars
I don't think the jacket I bought from Vintage Trends fits any particular style. I'm sure Schott was inspired by one of the World War II military jackets but this was designed for the civilian market.

Its already been dry cleaned and sanitized, so I'm sure it'll arrive in the condition described - excellent - or I can return it for a refund.

Right now I'm waiting for it to be shipped through the mail.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I had one of these jackets - brown naked cow, big steel zipper, white acrylic pile lining (quilting in the sleeves), crazy snapped epaulets, big double pockets. I bought it new in NYC around 1983 (on sale for $99) and wore it as my primary winter jacket for several years. It was heavy, warm, and very tough - so much so that when I finally got a "real" A-2, it seemed too light to be a "real flight jacket".

Note that these predate the more recent Schott models with the G-1 style belted back and removable collar fur and lining. They also made these with plain leather collars (for more of an A-2 look), and both styles came in black too.

Edward

Bartender
All the jackets I've seen in this vein are clearly a mix of A2 and G1 styles... some come quite close to an ANJ3 on the outside.

Navin323i

Practically Family
I think it has a sheepskin lining so it might be suitable for winter wear. I have a B-3 but its too heavy to move about in and I'm looking for something that's warm and light.

It looks like you found a keeper one too! Congrats!

Thanks Norman! Congrats to you as well. My jacket just now arrived and I'm looking at it now. Looks very similar to yours, except mine doesn't have the shoulder epaulettes, doesn't have the American flag next to the label, label says, "MFD. BY SCHOTT BROS. INC. N.Y.C.", same "I-S" number and "Flight Jacket" wording at top of label, mine has a brass Talon zipper instead of silver, and is labeled as a "46". Will take pics later tonight and post up. :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Edward, they've always been a superficial mix of the two styles. But the older ones were less G1-ish (or ANJ3-ish) due to having the horizontal-shoulder-blade-seam back construction shown in the picture above, not the classic Navy-style belted back.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Edward, they've always been a superficial mix of the two styles. But the older ones were less G1-ish (or ANJ3-ish) due to having the horizontal-shoulder-blade-seam back construction shown in the picture above, not the classic Navy-style belted back.

Interesting... I just compared the back of my jacket with Normans... mine doesn't have the horizonal shoulder blade seam back that you mentioned. Mine has a small bi-swing back as well as the belted back you mentioned. Yeah, when I post up pics later today the first thing I'm going to ask is what type of jacket do I have (A-2 or G-1) since I'm not sure. :)

normanf

One of the Regulars
Thanks Norman! Congrats to you as well. My jacket just now arrived and I'm looking at it now. Looks very similar to yours, except mine doesn't have the shoulder epaulettes, doesn't have the American flag next to the label, label says, "MFD. BY SCHOTT BROS. INC. N.Y.C.", same "I-S" number and "Flight Jacket" wording at top of label, mine has a brass Talon zipper instead of silver, and is labeled as a "46". Will take pics later tonight and post up. :)

Does yours have a sheepskin or a quilted lining? I haven't received mine yet though with US Priority Mail. I should get it by the end of the week.

normanf

One of the Regulars

You mean the ANJ4? That's the last sheepskin jacket produced during World War II, the Navy's answer to the heavier B-3 worn by Army Air Forces crews.

Edward

Bartender

Ah, yes - looking closer b(and this time on a proper screen, not a smart phone ;) ) I see what you mean. The one in the OP is clearly closer to an A2 than a G1, save for the yoke along the pack of the shoulders.

Interesting... I just compared the back of my jacket with Normans... mine doesn't have the horizonal shoulder blade seam back that you mentioned. Mine has a small bi-swing back as well as the belted back you mentioned. Yeah, when I post up pics later today the first thing I'm going to ask is what type of jacket do I have (A-2 or G-1) since I'm not sure. :)

It'll be neither an A2 nor a G1, but a sort of "composite" design taking nods from the two. These were civilian "inspired by the military" jackets rather than being made as reproductions of specific military jackets. They were aimed at a mainstream market, not the sort of folks who want to buy a reproduction of a specific model.

You mean the ANJ4? That's the last sheepskin jacket produced during World War II, the Navy's answer to the heavier B-3 worn by Army Air Forces crews.

No, the ANJ3.... The ANJ-3 was a short-lived attempt to create a lighter flying jacket that could be a single design option for both USN and AAF pilots, a rationalisation of flying jacket production. It was basically a G1-style jacket with a leather-face collar (no mouton), something of a cross between an A2 and a G1-family jacket. I have a suspicion I read somewhere that it never quite worked its way into service, as the AAF went over to the B10, rapidly followed by the B15 and away from leather. The ANJ4 was a similar concept - a shearling jacket that could be issued to both USN and AAF flyers.

Neither... it's a smooth olive satin lining

By any chance are there studs, buttons or a small zipper where a removable fleece lining could be attached?

This looks similar to one I picked up earlier this year...Schott 184SML
Mine is also known as a "4-in-1" due to the removable liner/collar.
It's steer hide, heavy, and well-made. I have yet to wear it as it's just now getting cool enough. Still has the tags on it.

normanf

One of the Regulars
This looks similar to one I picked up earlier this year...Schott 184SML
Mine is also known as a "4-in-1" due to the removable liner/collar.
It's steer hide, heavy, and well-made. I have yet to wear it as it's just now getting cool enough. Still has the tags on it.

I believe that could be my jacket... it has a fur pile liner and as Schott says, you can wear it any one of four ways. That's what makes it so versatile. You can wear it as a winter jacket or a three season jacket if you remove the collar and the liner.

normanf

One of the Regulars
Neither... it's a smooth olive satin lining

Hmmm... I thought yours would have a warm pile lining. Mine is described as having a soft fur. I'll see when it comes in if the description offered is true.

Described on Vintage Trends as:

"Beautifully broken in 70's vintage Schott bomber jacket, excellent condition with classic distressed detail, nice and soft with a fur lining, Talon zipper."

normanf

One of the Regulars
By any chance are there studs, buttons or a small zipper where a removable fleece lining could be attached?[/QUOTE]

If its missing, our friend could contact Schott and see about getting the fleece liner. They still make that jacket, so he should be able to get it shipped to him for a nominal charge to have the complete jacket.

Faisalha9159

New in Town
I have bought in total, three of these jackets, complete with the I-S-674 MS marking. The fur inside isn`t real but the jacket is still warm enough. Two of the jackets I gave to friends who really liked them, and the last one I have kept for myself. These are gorgeous jackets, and you will find that Schott still makes a similar style of jacket today, but I feel these older ones are better quality and have a much nicer fit. The newer ones have a fit which is a little more baggy but these are something else if you get the right size. I am over the moon with the last one I bought which was approximately two months ago.

There is another version of this jacket (from the same time period) where the collar and the inside do not have fur but instead the lining is of a khaki/green colour. Also the lining and collar are not detachable. I think if you were to sell one of these jackets you would get a fair price (I believe I have posted some pics of one of my jackets somewhere on this forum in the past)

Great jackets.

normanf

One of the Regulars
I got the jacket today. Its very tight-fitting even in large so I could have gone a size up.

My Schott MS 674 has a fur lining in the body but unlike in sheepskin flying jackets, the sleeves are not lined with the body.

It reminds me of a B-6, its a plenty warm jacket and when I went out in the cold, I felt comfortable. This is a good cold weather jacket.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points