Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott leather care

oruaM89

New in Town
Hi everyone, I have a Schott 641 used from Japan, it's quite new apart from some signs of wear on the sleeves and near the zip, what products can be used to care for this leather? Thank you

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
The advice from the experts (Aero) is that a new leather jacket in normal use shouldn't need any conditioner for maybe 20 years. It is a common misconception that leather jackets need a conditioner. They don't.
The misconception is perpetuated by conditioner brands. You'd think most of them would be out of business if all new jacket owners knew they don't need conditioners for the first 20 years, lol. Different story with boots and perhaps with jackets heavily exposed to elements, like riding jackets. They may need some conditioner sooner. Perhaps some riders can chime in here.

oruaM89

New in Town
my jacket is vintage, so I think that almost 20 year old. Is in very good condition, only have some scratch of use

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I have a 641 in steer. I don't think it will need any conditioner for a long time. Got it in 2014.
Got a pic of your jacket ?

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
The advice from the experts (Aero) is that a new leather jacket in normal use shouldn't need any conditioner for maybe 20 years. It is a common misconception that leather jackets need a conditioner. They don't
Depends on which hide and what topcoat was used.

Peacoat

Bartender
The misconception is perpetuated by conditioner brands. You'd think most of them would be out of business if all new jacket owners knew they don't need conditioners for the first 20 years, lol. Different story with boots and perhaps with jackets heavily exposed to elements, like riding jackets. They may need some conditioner sooner. Perhaps some riders can chime in here.
Below is a picture of one of my riding jackets. It is my most lightweight jacket and the one that gets used the most. Been exposed to the sun and rain many times. It needs conditioner, but I think it can wait a little longer.

I like the patina that has developed over the years. A coat of conditioner will destroy the patina all of those years have developed. It is, however, only the second most salty jacket in my riding club. Club member Rodney has the most salty jacket. He puts about 40,000 miles a year on his jacket, and he has only one riding jacket; I have several.

IMG_0272.jpg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Below is a picture of one of my riding jackets. It is my most lightweight jacket and the one that gets used the most. Been exposed to the sun and rain many times. It needs conditioner, but I think it can wait a little longer.

I like the patina that has developed over the years. A coat of conditioner will destroy the patina all of those years have developed. It is, however, only the second most crusty jacket in my riding club. Club member Rodney has the most crusty jacket. He puts about 40,000 miles a year on his jacket.

View attachment 564380
Yes, Pecards will make it darker and more uniform. There are conditioners that preserve patina, though. URAD I think is one.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
That looks like top-coat peeling off...

If you really want it refinished correctly, and are in North America, look up Dena at Great Leather care in Illinois. She is also on here @iknowleather - Dena what do you think of this jacket/photo?

oruaM89

New in Town
unfortunately I don't live in North America, I live in Italy, do you have any advice on how I could improve the look of the jacket without ruining it?

oruaM89

New in Town
Hi guys, in the back panel of my jacket there are some wrinkles, I supposed they are caused by posture, is there any way to remove them or at least improve them? thanks

20231206-155221.jpg
[/url]
20231206-155229.jpg
[/url]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner