Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott leather jacket sizing / Thurston Brothers Aero Seven

walds11

New in Town
Hello all! Newbie here that’s been lurking for a little while. I’m in the market for my first nice light to medium weight leather jacket. I stumbled upon Schott. They seem very well made (in the USA!) and reasonably priced for off the rack, stock jacket.

Can you guys help me with sizing? I’m 6’0”, 165 lbs, ~40” chest, wear 31-32” denim jeans and 34” dress pants. I tried this Vintaged Cowhide Café Racer Leather Jacket (654VN) on at a local retailer:

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/vintaged-cowhide-cafe-racer-leather.htm?catID=5

My first impressions: Very nice jacket. Much heavier and more substantial than any jacket I’ve ever handled, but in a good way! They only had large size though. I felt that it was quite roomy in the shoulders, chest and stomach area (Long sleeve tee and short sleeve tee layered underneath. I wouldn’t layer too much more than this under the leather jacket). They did have this Vintaged Cowhide Cafe Racer Leather Jacket (626VN) in medium:

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/cowhide-leather-motorcycle-jacket.htm?color=1&catID=5

It fit comfortably slim and snug. Is the cafe racer jacket size medium going to have a similar fit as the motorcycle jacket in size medium? You think I’d be safe with the cafe racer jacket in size medium? I prefer slim fitting jackets and clothing.

This cafe racer is a functional riding jacket. I’m also looking for a more formal jacket to wear at the office or in normal formal setting. I’ve got my eye on the James Retro Style Naked Cowhide jacket (165):

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/james-mens-retro-style-naked-cowhide-jacket.htm?color=1&catID=5

I really like the traditional shirt collar front. This jacket is considered heavy weight. The heavy weight could be a deal breaker for me. Is it really going to feel and wear much heavier than the cafe racer above? Will it break in and patina nicely over time?

To take this further, I also discovered Thurston Brothers and the Aero Seven. It fits the bill for me as I’m looking for a fitted casual lifestyle jacket, with some biker characteristics. It’s sort of a combo of the two jackets above. Definitely in a higher price range, but highly customizable (~$300-400 more than the Schotts with up-charges). Here is what I brainstormed last night and very early this morning:

-Aero Seven
-Highwayman or August collar (what’s the difference?)
-Vicenza Horsehide - Dark Seal, Darkened Black or Black
-Buco J-100 back (straight yoke with no kidney panel) - seems like a popular customization for the Aero Seven OR
“V” back yoke (big fan the this western look, but is it a good look for the Aero Seven style jacket?)
-Slightly slanted chest pockets
-Nickel hardware
-Nickel diamond pulls on pockets
-Crail Check Tweed lightweight wool lining
-Left side interior pocket with no closure
The up-charges are: Vicenza Horsehide $125, custom Tartan wool $75 and interior pocket $40. What is the base price for the Aero Seven?
I’m definitely sliding down the slippery slope :)

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko