Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scotch Plaid / Tartan ..?

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Help me out here folks.
A while back, somebody posted a site of the mfr who makes
Traditional Wool Scotch Plaid fabrics.
I know that Aero some times keeps stock of these on hand, or can get
some on special request.
Could somebody please post that site again.
Thanks,
Lenny

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Racing

I was a little disappointed with the second sight. They did not have one of the most famous Scotts of them all listed in their Tartans, Jackie Stewart Racing! Also, couldn't find Triumph Tartan. I know they were not Scottish, but a lot of Scotts rode them, with Kilts!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Stewart

Thanks for the reply, it did answer my questions! Triumph is a what, not a who, so it can not be a clan. Their Tartan pattern is unofficially recognised in that no one will use their pattern. As for Sir Jackie Stewart, there is a Hunter Stewart that is apparently ancestral in nature, his son has his owen registered version. As for the famous Racing Stewart Tartan, that officially belongs to the Royal House of Stewart, and is also the personal tartan of Queen Elizabeth II. However, there is a Catch 22, all her subjects are considered part of her Clan, and are technically intitled to wear the Royal Stewart Tartan! I had no idea how much a quality Kilt cost! To put it in terms my fellow Yanks can understand, thats a lot of bread just to let the rest of the world see my knobby knees!

L'Onset

Familiar Face
Triumph is a what, not a who, so it can not be a clan
Yes, but it doesn't matter to register a design. You can have your own, as corporations, government branches, armies or police forces have, and even trade marks or airlines.
There is a wizard at www.scotweb.co.uk/ (and I think also at www.tartansauthority.com) for that purpose. You can try and have some fun. The next steps as an experts advise and registration fees have to be paid for, and they are not cheap!, then you can find a recomended weaver to make it a reality and then have your kilt tailored, for just a nice bunch of sterling :cool2: .
Some of the registered designs are of restricted use, but most of them not, both traditional and newly designed by individuals

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Racing

That is interesting! Never thought that Kilts would be so fascinating. I have learned a lot, before this, all I new was The Ladies From Hell!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav