1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

ScotchGuard

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Richard, May 5, 2005.

1. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Are current Royal Deluxe hats a beaver blend? I thought they were all bunny.

As as to hatters telling you the hat is 100% beaver, why wouldn’t you believe them? I have Stetson Excellent quality hats with “Pure Beaver” on the sweats. I’m sure that my customs from various hatters made with 100% Winchester beaver felts are 100% beaver. I’m curious as to why you think hatters can’t tell you the beaver content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Winston Carter likes this.
  2. Winston Carter

Winston Carter Practically Family

Hatter's can tell you anything. It's like bottled water. There is no way of really knowing what is in it because there is no regulation. As far as Stetson Fedora's I don't know what kind of fur they use or quantity but when they get soaked it will change the brim making them curl. The western weight say they are beaver but does anyone really know the blend with other products?

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  3. Winston Carter

The only hat i'm sure is 100% beaver is the Stetson 100X. They are a reputable co. with no need to lie and the price is over $1000.

4. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I agree that we don’t know the blend contents. What “7X beaver” means is anyone’s guess.

As for believing the hatters, I guess if you’re a cynic and don’t believe anything you can’t personally verify you might not believe them. I do believe them. I also believe the world isn’t flat and that we did actually land on the moon so I’m the trusting sort. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Winston Carter

:):):):)

6. Winston Carter

All I know is for the price Stetson, Dobbs, Resistol, etc. Make good hats for the price.

7. Winston Carter

My Dad taught me to not believe anything I hear and only half of what I actually see with my eyes.;);)

8. IsaacRN

IsaacRN One of the Regulars

I agree with you on that. When I sold western hats, the 50-100x were top of the line at that time. Sadly, they were the ones that seem to go limp after one session. I’ve been lucky with my Fawcett and Northwest hats. Of course I haven’t worn them in a downpour, but minimal rain without issue

9. Winston Carter

Got out in the rain today with one of my Stetson fedora's and the brim is still flat with a little curl upwards just like before it got wet. So yes it works.

10. Winston Carter

Give me a good ole 4X stiff beaver Resistol or Stetson Western. They will hold up to anything and they don't break the bank.

11. Kevin M Winters

Kevin M Winters New in Town

I have a new SunDay Afternoons Havana hat. It is a 90/10 paper/polyester blend "straw" sun hat. 50+ UPF rating. Instructions are to avoid moisture/water. Does anyone have a suggestion on waterproofing? I've written to Scotchgard and they have no product they'd recommend, though their answer may be a CYA thing. Thanks!