Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scramble the Toy Soldiers

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Just a few shots of my very small collection of Corgi Aeroplanes and different figures. All 1:32.
It was fun playing with my new camera and the editing afterwards - enjoy a trip down memory lane.

DSCF0767-2.jpg

DSCF0788.jpg

Recreation of a famous Life Magazine photo from 1940 - Pilot Officer Albert Lewis - scramble!

DSCF0779-2.jpg

DSCF0794.jpg

Air Marshall Sir Keith Park and his Hurricane

DSCF0795.jpg

Flying Officer "Jumbo" - because of his small figure!

DSCF0800.jpg

Jumbo flirting with Vera - The WAAF driving the stations tractor. No luck, mate!

DSCF0802.jpg

Sir Keith Park has arrived

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Brilliant fun, I was an Airfix kid myself. I dont remember Corgi making model aeroplanes, thought they were all Dinky, Spitfire and Stuka.
I see Jumbo is wearing an Irvin, did any Battle of Britain pilots wear them during that summer of 1940? Most of the air combat was short duration at low altitude, I think.(We had a big argument about this at work with no real conclusion)
Sorry I'm no expert on WWII
Johnny Tee

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
As to what I've read, the Irvins were mostly used on the ground. Hanging around at dispersal. Sleeping in the early hours at dawn. And going to the pub - of course. I read somewhere that pilots used to "smuggle out" their flying boots and Irvins. Wearing them in London was a sure way to attract the ladies and get loads of free drinks. Mind you - the salary in RAF wasn't that big.
But the Irvin jacket was used a lot - while flying too - in France 39-40. Lots of patrols were carried out in winter and early spring.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Good idea!
Just one more - to set the mood: SCRAMBLE!!!!!

DSCF0816.jpg
(ps,I know these are not toys:) )
We used to play with Action Man, GI Joe to the US, these were 1/6 scale soldier dolls. My dad would never buy me one because they were dolls so I played round my mate Phill's house. He had an older brother in the British army and we were always at war.
if it was my turn to be the German then shouts of SURRENDER ENGLISH PIG were often given and DUMBKOPF in our best English German accents we copied off the TV. This would be retaliated with "Take THAT Swinehund"(making a machine gun noise).
Johnny Tee

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I will confess to having a bunch of G I Joes in my mancave! I started collecting them to match the uniforms and firearms of my surplus/vintage collection.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Haha! Love the scramble shots Soren!

Actually keep an eye on the model thread in the WWII section as I have just about finished something which I think you'll enjoy, and which I'll post pictures of in there ;)

Nice figures too VC, the German fella carrying the MP43/44 being particularly realistic.

Toisach

New in Town
My little "hommage" to the Black Watch at Quatre Bras (mixed Britains and Collectors Showcase figures). This used to grace to the top of bookcase in front of my framed first edition Waterloo Dispatch. Now, sadly, it all resides in carefully packed boxes.
IMG_3370.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav