Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scrap Scarves like Johnny Depp

mooglesrcute

New in Town
I really like the scarves that Johnny Depp wears, looks mostly like cool pieces of scrap material. Haven't been able to find anything around where I live, wondering if anyone had any online sites or advice on where to look.

He also seems to usually have a bandana variant hanging from his pocket or pants or something, something more unique than what you just get at your local store, so if you have any links to a good place to buy some unique bandanas, I also can't find anything but the generic typical ones locally.

61a2a4572339053acca2cb1a02c27145.jpg johnny-depp-UK-Vanity-Fair-2011-Jan-johnny-depp-18182808-1149-1495.jpg Johnny+Depp+Tourist+Berlin+Premiere+Arrivals+1elRLsD5Ptkl.jpg the_tourist_world_premiere_07_wenn5581428.jpg johnny-depp-park-hyatt-tokyo-04.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Johnny Depp is a fan of Mister Freedom stuff so I guess it could be the "Boro" scarfs/ties:
http://www.misterfreedom.com/?p=2210
Mister Freedom may be overpriced but I think he really cares for vintage clothes. That makes him likable for me.

The DIY way would be to search thrifts stores and yard sales for stuff. Cut up old shirts that have been become unwearable.
But I think even H&M sells wrinkly chambray scarfs if you just want the looks.

mooglesrcute

New in Town
Thank you flat foot floey, I'm new to misterfreedom these are awesome, any other styling Johnny Depp gems you have up your sleeves?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Does someone keep deleting my Reply to this thread?
Bartenders will usually let you know if they don't like what you're posting, either by a comment in your post if they have edited it or by PM if they have deleted it.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think a person could make a scarf like what Depp is wearing fairly easy. Let me see now, go to obtain some old but colorful shirts from Goodwill or any resale shop. Cut the back of the shirts into a large rectangle. Cut the rectangle in half. Place a few layers of shirt material on top of another, roll it, use a scrap you cut from one shirt to make the "tie" part, sew it up to be a "slide" onto the scarf (if you want to "close" it around your neck) and there you have it, a scarf that looks like Depps and for a whole lot cheaper that the one website that wants you to go get a second mortgage on your home to purchase one from them! lol!

mooglesrcute

New in Town
I think a person could make a scarf like what Depp is wearing fairly easy. Let me see now, go to obtain some old but colorful shirts from Goodwill or any resale shop. Cut the back of the shirts into a large rectangle. Cut the rectangle in half. Place a few layers of shirt material on top of another, roll it, use a scrap you cut from one shirt to make the "tie" part, sew it up to be a "slide" onto the scarf (if you want to "close" it around your neck) and there you have it, a scarf that looks like Depps and for a whole lot cheaper that the one website that wants you to go get a second mortgage on your home to purchase one from them! lol!

I've hit up the vintage thrift stores, and various other goodwill stores round my parts, even fabric stores, but can't seem to find any good 'source' material =*(

tropicalbob

The scarves that Depp's wearing in the pictures look like the ones you see everywhere in France, where he lives. The best place to get them is at the big street fairs that they have every week in many of Provence's towns and cities. I was in Aix-en-Provence last spring and saw lots of them, some from North Africa with really nice colors and patterns. Relatively cheap, too.

ardijan

New in Town
hello

the first scarf is from Laos northern vietnam

2vk15ds.jpg

the second scarf is Alexander Mqueen skull head scarf

pm if you are interested on trading or buying them, the alexander mqueen scarf was rare made .

1o5269.jpg

2wda4a0.jpg

Last edited:

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
Methinks, Johnny (he's one of my favorite actors and I DO like his style) could wear a brown paper bag on his head and reproductions would soon be available at a premium price.

(Of course, the bag would be ripped and scrunched a bit, in just the right places.)

Locrian

New in Town
I've been wondering for a while now whether you could make such a scarf out of a deconstructed tie. I bought a Versace from an op-shop for just this purpose ($3.00) but haven't gotten around to cutting it up yet.

My intention was to make more of a Mod-style cravat-scarf, but the difference is really just in the patterns and cloth.

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
I have several Arabian shemaghs (in different color combinations) that I purchased from a military surplus site. I wear them as scarves in the winter and occasionally when wandering around downtown.

They are both ratty AND natty enough that Johnny might approve.

Flat Foot Floey

Shemaghs are seen as a political statement in some parts of the world. There is no place for a discussion here, just saying it is not neutral.

I would rather go for some chambray / indigo stuff to stay with the Boro-theme Johnny Depp was aiming at.

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
Shemaghs are seen as a political statement in some parts of the world.

Once again, I have learned from this site. I knew there was cultural significance. I did some internet research and now understand some of the social implications. There are places I would NEVER wear them as scarves. (I would NEVER wear them about my head and face, anyway. Ever.)

However, being as my politically-incorrectness is unrestricted, I will still wear them in cold weather, occasionally.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ