Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seabiscuit jacket

Mike1973

A-List Customer
It's here!

And better than I expected! A few minor issues with the liner, that were in the description, but are easy fixes. Just need to restitch the armholes and find a couple of buttons. Leather is fantastic, great colour, grain and condition. And the fit is good. No time for decent photos at the minute, and an engine swap on the kombi means my evenings will be busy this week, but here is a quick snap of that main zip. Looks to be original to the jacket, there are no extra stitch holes.

PA200014.jpg

I'm guessing it's a '50's Zip?? Just because it's similar to ones on G-1's... Although the jacket feels '40's? Any help from the zip experts out there appreciated, be fantastic to date it.

I will take some better reference shots when I can. But for now, any tips for removing the green gunk from the brass zips??

Verdegris?

Because the leather is so close to the zip if you use a liquid or paste brass cleaners be really careful.

You could try a Scotch Brite pad to clean it first.

Once they are clean it is good to put something on the brass that will seal out the air so it won't green up again very quicky. Some of the polishes for brass will have a sealing agent in them. I recall something about a specific polish the military used for the brass on their uniforms. Some even used clear nail polish to try to seal the air away from the brass insignia.

I think that some camping supply places have a lube for zippers but i don't know if you can use it on a leather jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany