Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for a HOMBURG, pearl gray or warm gray in LA

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
I've been keeping my eyes open trying to locate a decent quality fur felt pearl gray or warm gray homburg hat with silk taped edged rolled brim, broad gross-grain hat-band, and a very tall crown (so that I can shape it correctly!). I checked at Hollywood Hatters (who VANISHED my Dobbs when I took it in for a cleaning and blocking!!!), and they say that they don't carry homburg hats (they didn't have anything approaching what I was looking for anyway, the old D-Town LA haberdashery is looooong-gone, sadly, that other funny little hat shop off of Hollywood Blvd. is defunct as far as I can tell, the Venice store is a joke, and I like to stay as far as possible, away from Baron's since the little old fellow retired and sold it to his apprentice all those years ago (I asked him about a Dobbs that he had right there on the floor in front of me once, and he tried telling me that that particular hat had to be custom made by him, of course and would cost me some beyond exorbitant price (triple the current price of Dobbs hats at the time, so I left). Point being, where in the heck does a man get a decent quality fur felt homburg hat? My father before the last time that he ran off with some of my hats took ALL of my homburgs and I'm left with only this piece of junk Golden Gate wool felt black model that only vaguely resembles a true homburg!

HELP! Where in LA do they sell Homburg Hats?! I'm so desperate, that I'll even go to Baron's if someone can tell me if they carry homburgs that aren't made "in house" (I won't go there without a definitive YES on their stocking homburg hats though!)

So.....?

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I have the opposite problem... I have several homburgs in several colors in 7 1/8, and am searching for L.A. Can someone please help me? ;)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
BTW, When I was there 2 1/2 years ago, Baron Hats did not stock anything that they didn't make. I agree that their prices are insane. I happened to get in while they had a deal going and got a very beautiful custom western bowler in dark moss for $200. One of the most nicely pounced hats I own.

I have heard there is a shop at Hollywood and Highland, but I imagine it's mostly geared toward tourists. Since you already know your head size and presumably shape, why not just look online for new or vintage?

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Yeah, I haven't been in there in over 13 years....Oh well. The Hollyweird and Highland one....Hmm, don't think I've seen that one unless it's the same one that used to be at Hollywood and Vine I think it was? Anyway, yeah. Probably is touristy to the extreme. I hate looking at those websites. You have no feel for the real hat, can't even be absolutely sure of the colour as such....Very inconvenient. Vintage, I suppose would be fine. Though I am paranoid about bacteria which can cause dandruff...But, I suppose have it cleaned and what-not before a wearing, sanitized as it were. But that's still rather a tall order and I do so HATE ePay and the rest of those scurrilous bidding monstrosities. I must carry on my noble quest since my father absconded with most of my good hats and nearly all of my 3x fur felt ones....Bugger. Thanks for the advice fellow FLers.

howardeye

Practically Family
you are 4 days too late. There was a fabulous Portis Gray Homburg on ebay that I lost out on because I had to leave town just before the end of the auction. I think it belonged to a previous poster. There are a number of homburgs in your size on ebay right now. I don't have any problem with used hats. I just pray over them!

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well my friend, bacteria doesn't cause dandruff (its actually a fungus, and it's probably already on your head), and I don't think there's any particular "danger" as it is with vintage hats. If you're looking for a new hat, look for a Stetson St. Regis.

howardeye

Practically Family
It would be nice for 7 1/4 also! My 10 year old grandson wanted a fedora and I was thinking about all them 1000's of low priced high end 6 7/8's I was going to buy for him and guess what? He is size 7. I found out the prices go up at size 7. Bummer

howardeye

Practically Family
I got him a Champ Stingy he picked out for his first for 9.99 plus shipping on eBay. If he goes for it I will contact you. With your tast I cannot go wrong!

stmike

One of the Regulars
There's a hat shop on Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena near the corner of Los Robles that has lots of hats in stock. I know they have Stetsons and Dobbs, so you may want to have a look when you're in the area.

stmike

One of the Regulars
Yes, they have some homburgs. In fact, I bought a cheap Scala homburg there just to see how I liked the style on me. After having worn it on several occasions now, I do like the way it looks, and will search for some better ones. When you do decide to visit the store, be aware that they don't open until around 11:00 a.m.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112