Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for good tailor for leather jacket in West Europe

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
Dear friends in Fedoralounge,

Does anyone know any reliable leather jacket tailor that located in West Europe? I would like to have my jacket's sleeves shortened and tapered and I am currently live in the Netherlands.

Looking forward to your suggestions and thanks in advance.

Z

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Dear friends in Fedoralounge,

Does anyone know any reliable leather jacket tailor that located in West Europe? I would like to have my jacket's sleeves shortened and tapered and I am currently live in the Netherlands.

Looking forward to your suggestions and thanks in advance.

Z
Welcome to the Lounge,
many local tailors in the NL claim they can shorten leather jacket sleeves; I have used a tailor in Delft many times for shortening my wool jacket sleeves with excellent results; however the only time I had to shorten the sleeves of a leather jacket I sent it back to the original manufacturer in Scotland; the same for a repair when a button snapped.
If possible send back to its manufacturer; getting the sleeves of a leather jacket shortened and tapered is not as easy as it sounds.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge,
If possible send back to its manufacturer; getting the sleeves of a leather jacket shortened and tapered is not as easy as it sounds.
Welcome to The Lounge indeed. Altering a leather garment is always fraught with difficulties. As you are probably more than aware, leather is a hide, it's not woven like fabric. A manufacturer, as suggested, might be your best bet. You see a tailor will know that if he/she makes the slightest mistake, it's irredeemable. Who would accept an alteration knowing that they were liable if it went wrong? Furthermore, the cost would probably exceed that of a replacement. See here to see what I mean. https://www.customjackets.co.uk/menswear/

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the Lounge,
many local tailors in the NL claim they can shorten leather jacket sleeves; I have used a tailor in Delft many times for shortening my wool jacket sleeves with excellent results; however the only time I had to shorten the sleeves of a leather jacket I sent it back to the original manufacturer in Scotland; the same for a repair when a button snapped.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the same concern so I was not bold enough to send it to my local tailor. I will contact the manufacturer in this case. On the other hand, would you please share the name of the Delft tailor? If it is not appropriate due to advertisement please send a private message to me. Thanks in advance.

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
Welcome to The Lounge indeed. Altering a leather garment is always fraught with difficulties. As you are probably more than aware, leather is a hide, it's not woven like fabric. A manufacturer, as suggested, might be your best bet. You see a tailor will know that if he/she makes the slightest mistake, it's irredeemable. Who would accept an alteration knowing that they were liable if it went wrong? Furthermore, the cost would probably exceed that of a replacement. See here to see what I mean. https://www.customjackets.co.uk/menswear/
Thanks! I will indeed contact the original manufacturer.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Thanks for the suggestions. I have the same concern so I was not bold enough to send it to my local tailor. I will contact the manufacturer in this case. On the other hand, would you please share the name of the Delft tailor? If it is not appropriate due to advertisement please send a private message to me. Thanks in advance.
PM sent.
Contact the manufacturer, I think you will end up with a better - and safer - result, especially if we're talking heavy thick leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112