Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seen the new BMW horsehide jacket?

mattmiller1973

Familiar Face
i think it looks pretty amazing. i have a few problems with it myself, for example I am a ducati devotee, so the Rondel would be difficult for me to wear on my shoulder. also, i have quite long arms, and I doubt they would do it up custom. but still....
images
https://www.bmw-motorrad.de/de/wear/ride/lederjacke-pureboxer.html

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

mattmiller1973

Familiar Face
No. I don’t think I could pull off red leather. I love the Aero Sheene look, but I don’t think it works great for motorcycle riding, depending on your bike. The Sheene hasn’t got much give in the back, which is important when reaching for handlebars or clip-ons. The SimmonsBilt Tailgunner is a much better design, and I have one on order — god knows when that will come.

I may take a swing at the BMW jacket for one other important reason, other than the fact that I want it now and they’re already made — it has elbow and shoulder pads included. That’s not something you typically see on high-end, horsehide jackets from Aero or SB or RMC, etc. And the BMW jacket would likely work well with my airbag vest, as I’m sure it’s cut generously.

The question remains, who makes them and what is the quality like? Does it justify €1,200.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’ve owned BMW gear in the past and it has always been on the highest quality. In the cordura market they don’t have much competiton at that level. In the leather game I agree with the previous suggestion that Vanson at half the price is a much better buy.

mattmiller1973

Familiar Face
That Vanson page makes me worry that there is no god. I actually have a Vanson jacket that I love, the Union Garage collab, I think called the Robinson. But left to their own devices, Vanson gear — and especially their marketing/website — reminds me of really bad fashion design from the 70’s that I’d hoped no longer exists.

GHT

I'll Lock Up

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Shoulder seam always have a cup rising up as you lift your arm, or if made with lean angle for mobility it will leave excess material under the arm when your arm down. While raglan just have continuous round slope like hoodies or sweatshirt, or cycling, diving suit for a tight fitting example

Corky Corcovado

Practically Family
Shoulder seam always have a cup rising up as you lift your arm, or if made with lean angle for mobility it will leave excess material under the arm when your arm down. While raglan just have continuous round slope like hoodies or sweatshirt, or cycling, diving suit for a tight fitting example
Here is a raglan sleeve half belt on Bill Kelso's archive line.
vintageleatherjackets000330000.jpg

mattmiller1973

Familiar Face
That looks amazing, but I have never understood the point of a “half belt.” Is it just for decoration? Does it somehow strengthen the back? Does anyone actually split the back of a single-panel jacket? I don’t get it.

by the way, I tried on that BMW jacket today at a dealer. *horrible* the leather looked and felt like a heavy vinyl. Just awful.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I'm actually kind of surprised that it doesn't cost even more. I'm obviously not the market for it, but I would have expected something like this to be more. Too bad the leather is awful. I still wonder who makes it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points