Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Selvedge vs non denim

MattieXMoto

One of the Regulars
I have no doubt Selvedge is better than non. But I also enjoy many of my non selvedge denim. One example is my Won Hundred plain jane jacket. Worn over 15 yrs. got it at a Brooklyn sample sale for $80. Its soft like a favorite t-shirt.

Curious is it all selvedge or bust???

20231205_133010.jpg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used to be more of a "what? Not 100% cotton? Must be crap", I really like today's "normal" denim fabrics. I also no longer have a problem with them being a bit stretchy. Especially when it's warmer, they allow more movement.
If I remember correctly, I only had one pair of selvedge denim and that was ages ago. I think it was an Edwin. For me it makes no difference up to 12, 13 oz.

Not for me. I like it all. Don’t really look for one over the other. If it looks interesting I go for it.

But I transitioned to only denim up top- some jackets but mostly vests. Love it. Down low I’ll wear pants made of cotton, canvas, moleskin, but no denim. Not sure why. I just don’t like jeans at the moment and I doubt that will change.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
when it is about 100% cotton jeans I never care about selvedge, even if there is, I won't cuff the pants to show it, but I care about how thick and heavy the denim is, I rather go non selvedge local or thai or chinese denim 18oz and heavier rather than selvedge japanese denim but under 16oz, however I also wear skinny denim jeans that doesn't need to meet that criterium if there is some spandex in it, same with jacket when it is 100% cotton and shaped like type2 or 3 then it better be thick, but if its shaped contemporarily then it can be whatever denim. I think I even care more about its hardware material and stitching color before I care if its selvedge or not, as I love copper or brass button over steel and stealth tonal stitching over yellow or orange.

Last edited:

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I remember someone saying that the selvedge attribute by itself does not make the item better or worse, but it is an INDICATOR that the fabric/denim itself is likely to be of much higher quality. Does not guarantee it, but greatly increases the chances.

But I do have to say that in some cases I absolutely love the Selvedge detail.
The best example is my recently acquired pair of Strike Gold denim (my first pair of Japanese denim):
1701855430897.png

1701855417161.png

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
One variable for me in terms of selvedge vs non is that it tends to be easier to find selvedge in heavier weights. 6 months out of the year i enjoy a 13-21 oz pant. You cannot typically achieve that with Levis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner