Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sensative Eyes

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
I have tragically sensative eyes. In fact, in all my 21 years, over half of which I've spent in make-up, the only eye products i've found that don't irratate my eyes are Bare Minerals. Price and color selections, however, can be a bit prohibative.

As a general rule, I end up applying their dark java tones using a dampened lip brush in place of crayon or liquid liner because the liner eventually bleeds into my eyes and they itch, turn red, swell up and eventually I either rub all of my make-up off and start crying from the incessent inching/burning or i end up crying from the incessent itching and my inability to sate the beastie :p

Shadow is an even bigger nightmare. I am the bubble girl, I swear, so when I come within 10 feet of my eyes with a non-approved cosmetic, I know i'm asking for disaster, but eyeshadow is awful because, as it comes loose from the brush, it gets in my eyelashes and then falls in my eyes and by the time i've got my eye make-up on my eyes are watering so badly my eyeliner has come loose and it's streaming in rivers down my cheeks.

Is there anyone else out there with sensative eyes who have had luck with anything I may not have tried yet?

Elaina

One Too Many
Well, are you lining the inside of the lid?

I have sensitive eyes, and I wear a TON of eye makeup, but I don't get anything too near my eye. I wear liquid linier on the top lid, and shadow and mascara/fake lashes. I also wear contacts sometimes.

I wear dollar store mascara and liner and Arden shadows. (I wear Arden for the most part because it's the only makeup that doesn't break me out.) If I don't touch my face, I'm usually fine, or if I don't get too tired.

I apply eyeshadow with a q-tip or my finger in layers. If I want a heavier color, I apply a second coat. I don't get so much it powders and falls everywhere, sounds like you may need to use less to stop that. If you're lining the inside of the lid, then don't. Apply it to the top of the lashes only and it will also help. Don't put mascara to the base of the lashes; go halfway and see if that will help, same with the bottom ones. Anything to give the look without getting ontop of the eye is a good idea.

If all of this fails, try creme eyeshadows, forgo the liner and get mascara that plumps with the white basecoat, that's not waterproof to stop the flaking, or get a flakeproof mascara. If you're using powder on your brows, get a pencil and run you finger over a tube of chapstic and set it, which will also stop flaking from that product.

Hope this helps.

G

GoldLeaf

Yikes :eek: Sounds like your eyes are super sensative. Any advice I had I will toss out the window, cause it sounds like you have tried it all! Get the permenant tattoo makeup? lol

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
You say that like I haven't considered it! (The eyeliner anyway) but, alas, it all seems to fad to purple over time on anyone I've ever known who has had it done.

In my eary teens, I did line inside the lower lid. Oh man was that dumb. I Haven't done it since I was about thirteen, naturally.

I will have to give a try to using a q-tip as an applicator, though.

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
Have you tried Vegan friendly makeup?

I wear Bare Escentuals (sp?) for foundation because I too have sensitive skin.But then I wear Urban Decay,everything practically.I bought the Dior Show Mascara (its 23 bucks or something),and I got a HUGE eye infection...every day it got worse til finally one morning I couldnt open my eyes.

For awhile I wore Prescriptives mascara,and got their base white coat (which really is never worth the money.)

My eye doctor suggested I wash my eyes night/morning with basic baby shampoo,and esp. when I wear makeup.Sure enough,havent had an eye infection since.

G

GoldLeaf

My doctor made the same recommendation about baby shampoo when I had several cysts. I never tried it because they cleared up and I haven't had another one, which was about a year ago. Good to know it works in case I get more!

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
I have tried Urban Decay shadows before but I had a simmilar allergic reaction. The problem is that, as I mentioned, I am the bubble girl. It's not only a matter of finicky eyes, it's also a matter of severe allergies (dust, pollen, dander, pears, cherries, several varieties of soap, most household cleaners, albuterol, peaches, vodka....and those are only the things i can think of right now) So, in short, I have all of that plus finicky eyes. The urban decay I think i was just allergic to. my eyelids had a pretty nasty reaction to it.

I am psyched about trying the Everyday Minerals. Thank you for the link! I'll get back to you on how they work. I'm going to have to put an order in tomorrow.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Mom has a very similar situation with her eyes.

She has found that out of all the hypo-allergenic make-up's Almay has been the best for her. She has tried dozens of different brands, and this is one of 2 brands that she found didn't irritate her eyes. The other brand is Trish McEvoy. This can be on the pricier side, so you might want to try Almay first, if you haven't already.
I use Trish McEvoy too. I love her palette. Her brushes are incredibly soft. My eyes are a bit sensitive too, although it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as what you've been going through. Her shadow's and liners seem to be the only brand that doesn't cause my eyes to get itchy and goopy after a few hours of wear. I have also used Clinique. My eye doctor recommended that I use their liners and shadows since I wear contacts. She said that she thinks they are the least irritating out of all the brands, but I found McEvoy products to be a little better.

I just got over a cyst and used baby shampoo to clean my eyes. My mom uses it to take off her make-up every night. It really helped clear up the cyst I had, much faster than those over the counter remedies that can be really expensive.

Also, I'm sure you've done this before, but just in case you haven't, you should try using disposable mascara wands. I was told by a make-up artist (a man named MK:)) that you can get them at make up supply stores. It's really made a difference in decreasing the amount of eye infections I've gotten over the past year. But, I'm on immuno-suppresants, so I'm susceptible to infection, so I'm supposed to use disposable applicators.
Good Luck!
Daisy

Brooksie

One Too Many
I have very sensitive eye lids, I thought i was going to have to stop wearing shadow all together. My eye lids got so bad the skin literally peeled off and started to bleed. My doctor told me it was an alergy to shadow.

It is really hard for me to not wear shadow sometimes because I am a parttime make-up artist. I used to use Aveda shadow for a long time after I found out about my allergy but then after a while that started causing problems even. I found out I was allergic to talc which is in aveda and many other product lines and it is a common allergen-I too am allergic to many things... chemicals, sulfites, dust, dust mites I could go on but I wont.

I found a product line by the name of: Von Natur

www.vonnatur.com

they have a pure mineral makeup line with no talc or sodium bismuth (another common allergen that is found in a lot of the mineral makeup lines out there).
Since using these products for about 3 years now I have never had a problem. Mineral makeup lines are considered inorganic which means because of the minerals they are made up of will never go bad, they do not spoil, grow mold or get bacteria in them- you never have to throw them out, they can be kept forever or until they are used up, this is one reason why they cost more. Check out VonNatur because their prices are probably better than Bare Minerals.

Brooksie

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
You guys are the best resource ever! Thank you!

And, yeah, disposable wands are a must have around here. If I'm going out for an evening or a weekend and i dont want ot cary the replacements, i will soap and water the included product wand and let it air dry before putting it back in. The notion that I could lose my vision to mascara...well, no way.

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
Ouch, I really sympathise with you, BitterEpiphany. Over the last year my eyes have been getting much drier and more sensitive, and I've had a few bouts of conjunctivitis. I haven't worn any mascara or eye makeup at all since then. :( Peculiarly enough, the mascara I had been using was Diorshow... Maybe I should give another brand a try, as well as disposable mascara wands.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff