Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Several Interesting Vintage Suits via Ebay

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
AHHH THERE IS STILL NO EDIT IN HERE. Was going to say, that gray Burton 3 piece - how bad does the fading look to you guys? Also, is that the result of too much direct sunlight for too long?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This seller perplexes me. First he says: "I have been collecting vintage mens clothing for almost 30 years ."

Then he says: "As is typical of almost all suits of the era the measurement on the trouser is done by outseam alone due to the fact that typically they are a high waisted cut known as "true waist" and generally sit just at or below the belly button rather than on the hips as is the case with modern cut trousers .The inseam measurement thus becomes somewhat irrelevant. I'm able to to provide this measurement if your curiosity persists although as I say it is rather pointless."

Utter nonsense. Everyone knows it is the inside leg measurement that matters. No point buying a trousers that isn't long enough for your legs regardless of the overall length. He seems to be making the assumption that all vintage suits have the same rise. It's a staggering statement.

I believe the same seller wa advertising suits as 'Size 44' a couple of weeks ago. Then when you look at the measurements the waistcoat would be a 38. It's clear to anyone that the true measurement of a suit is best worked out from the waistcoat since that's the nearest to the actual chest measurement. Might be different for a two piece, but not for a three piece.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
He also states that vintage trousers sit just at or below the belly button. Maybe in his world, certainly not in my experience. I prefer 'between the ribs and the belly button'.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
imagine fitting into a 32 inch waist, and having a 32 inch chest but wearing a jacket with 19 inch shoulders and a 39 inch chest. the owner of this suit must have looked rather odd!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto