Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing a man's shirt, opinions of fabric options...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hi gents.
On my blog I've been doing a whole month of vintage man stuff and man related sewing projects. I'm at my final project, a man's shirt but I could use some opinions on fabric.

Im just making the shirt straight from the pattern a 16 1/2" neck and 44" chest. The pattern is from 1930.

6255.jpg

I went and looked at men's shirting in the store and all I can say is I'm not paying that much for polly/cotton. With finances low, and this being my first time making this shirt I decided to look at what I had in my stash because the shirt takes up quite a bit of fabric.

These are the choices:

P1010005copy.jpg

The first is a coral cotton, pretty lightweight. The second is a pale pink handkerchief linen, and the third, which Im leaning toward is a rust colored cotton chambray, almost a workwear weight.

P1010009copy.jpg

(Pay no attention to the fact the fabrics laid out like this look like Neapolitan ice cream :) ).

The thread I'm using is 100% cotton, I'm going to finish it off with MOP buttons, and I've got all the other odds and ends ready.

Of these three which one would you choose? I'm hoping to get started tomorrow. I'm pretty excited about the project!
Thanks for your time :)

LD

Feraud

Bartender
Nice job on your blog. I enjoyed reading the March Man month posts.
Back to business, I like the coral cotton and the rust chambray (#1,3). I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Last edited:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I like the coral and the rust. I might lean more towards the coral.

That parttern is fantastic, I've never found a good 1930s shirt pattern for a dress shirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana