Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:
I was just wondering what everyone uses to make copies of their patterns. I use trace-a-pattern which I like because it's sheer and durable but it's getting expensive since I copy all of my patterns. What else is there?

Butcher paper is another popular choice for tracing. Personally, I use plain tissue paper for tracing. I stock up after Christmas on plain white tissue and use that. I've had to tape pieces together for larger pieces, but it's seemed to work out ok.

Sunny

One Too Many
I've said it multiple times... :) My mother and I always use Do-Sew from Clotilde. It's very similar to what Rachael describes; think of it as another step up. It's see-through-able, ball-point pens mark on it like a dream, it's very sturdy, and it's both ironable (low heat - don't need more) and sewable (on the machine), great for adding extra for pattern drafting or big pieces. Also, it's 36" wide, so I've rarely had to piece it anyway. We usually order it in 4-roll increments. It's amazing how fast we go through it!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
MarieAnne said:
I was just wondering what everyone uses to make copies of their patterns. I use trace-a-pattern which I like because it's sheer and durable but it's getting expensive since I copy all of my patterns. What else is there?

Butcher paper for me. Under $8 for a *huge* roll, when purchased at a warehouse-type store. Tissue paper is just too flimsy, and prone to being inaccurate because it wrinkles and crinkles.

I'll also mention a *great* tool for patternmaking, especially when you're starting out: 3M's Scotch Removable Tape, in the blue box. If you make a mistake, you can just remove it and reposition it. You'll want something more permanent as you move along, of course, and it won't last forever. But I still find it useful when I'm playing with a new pattern, or temporarily closing darts.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
ShoreRoadLady said:
Butcher paper for me. Under $8 for a *huge* roll, when purchased at a warehouse-type store. Tissue paper is just too flimsy, and prone to being inaccurate because it wrinkles and crinkles.

I'll also mention a *great* tool for patternmaking, especially when you're starting out: 3M's Scotch Removable Tape, in the blue box. If you make a mistake, you can just remove it and reposition it. You'll want something more permanent as you move along, of course, and it won't last forever. But I still find it useful when I'm playing with a new pattern, or temporarily closing darts.

Tissue does have the drawback of being flimsy just like the originals, but straight out of the package it is smooth and not wrinkled at all, so I've never had any more trouble with inaccuracy using it than with using an original. Just like standard patterns, you have to be gentle folding and storing copies to avoid wrinkling etc, but you can also iron tissue on a very low heat if you need to.
One advantage the sheerness offers however, is ease in transferring markings. I like to use that 3M removable scotch-tape you mention to hold the tissue to a sliding glass door for tracing. I use sticky notes to hold the originals as there is less tackiness on the notes, and I found those were easier to remove from the original. If your original is brittle, this may not be the best method. (Do note that some librarians feel that the residue of the glues on sticky notes and removable tapes over time can deteriorate papers. For the limited amount I use it, I'm willing to take the risk, but thought it best to put it out there.) Oh, and thank you for the link, I haven't been able to find that tape lately. Great to know it's still out there.
Just out of curiosity, how does butcher paper work for transferring markings? I am looking for something for a little more durable for my better loved patterns....

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
The best thing I use for pattern tracing is clear plastic sheeting - I buy it at hardware stores. Sometimes it's with windows, or with garden supplies. I usually just ask the service desk for it. Super cheap and you can get big rolls that last forever. It's also more durable than tissue or paper and can be used to do a rough mock-up of the garment.

It looks something like this:
http://www.plasticsheetingsupply.com/plastic-sheeting-c-32.html

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Joie DeVive said:
I like to use that 3M removable scotch-tape you mention to hold the tissue to a sliding glass door for tracing. I use sticky notes to hold the originals as there is less tackiness on the notes, and I found those were easier to remove from the original. If your original is brittle, this may not be the best method. (Do note that some librarians feel that the residue of the glues on sticky notes and removable tapes over time can deteriorate papers. For the limited amount I use it, I'm willing to take the risk, but thought it best to put it out there.)

Just out of curiosity, how does butcher paper work for transferring markings? I am looking for something for a little more durable for my better loved patterns....

I trace my patterns flat (lacking a non-paned glass door), so I don't tape the originals in any way. That reminds me, I should probably get some archival tape, if they have such a thing, for making minor repairs to original patterns.

For unprinted patterns (like the one I just finished transferring & cutting out! :)), I just lay the pattern on top and trace lightly around with a mechanical pencil. For printed patterns, I put the original on my cutting board (white with blue squares - so I have a light background), lay the butcher paper on top, and trace on that. So far I haven't had any trouble, although I'm sure you can see *much* more clearly with your sliding glass door method. :)

Lorena B

Practically Family
Hey, i am a mess right now.

I just found a book about 40's and 50's sewing patterns in Camden.

The lady asked me for £25, wow, i think that is sooo expensive, specially at this moment that i left work to move this weekend abroad.

But i stil keep thinking about it!!, i think it was good if you need a ref number for the pattern, ( it was basically that, pics of the stiles and the name of the publisher and ref number)

I know it sounds lame to ask for opinion but... do you think i should let it go?
I havent seen one of this around in here but something tells me that in ebay or USA i can find something similar cheaper!!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Lorena B said:
The lady asked me for £25, wow, i think that is sooo expensive, specially at this moment that i left work to move this weekend abroad.

I havent seen one of this around in here but something tells me that in ebay or USA i can find something similar cheaper!!

£25 is about $44 US dollars, which does seem quite steep for a book.

You might be able to find it on ebay for cheaper, but I have a feeling that the price would eventually get pretty steep-- I've seen just patterns go from $2.99 to $25 in a matter of hours.

I'd definitely shop around and look before I decided to buy.

Speaking of ebay, I just won this fabulous pattern today!
pattern.jpg

I'm thinking pale yellow, maybe...

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lorena B said:
Hey, i am a mess right now.

I just found a book about 40's and 50's sewing patterns in Camden.

But i stil keep thinking about it!!, i think it was good if you need a ref number for the pattern, ( it was basically that, pics of the stiles and the name of the publisher and ref number)

I know it sounds lame to ask for opinion but... do you think i should let it go?

Lorena B, I've collected books for close to 30 years, and worked in 3 bookshops. Perhaps I can help with your dilemma?

1) What is the book worth to you? Are you going to get £25 enjoyment or usage out of the book? Will you kick yourself for more than a couple days if you don't purchase it? Will you look for it again when you miss this opportunity, and be willing to pay more? The price isn't an issue. The value of the book to you is the issue.

2) What is the condition of the book? If it's in superb condition, can you sell it and get your money back? Does it have mold? Moldy books are near worthless.

3) What's the value of the book? If you call the shop and get the name (and a 48 hour hold on the book) you can cross reference other prices from other booksellers. Simply use Amazon, as it's the default for most booksellers these days.

To give you an idea, I purchased a book at a Library Book Sale a couple weeks ago that I REALLY liked and it ended up costing me a whopping .50. When I got home, I found it was really rare and was worth $500. :D While that's really great, I plan on keeping the book regardless of value, because it's of interest to me.

Another book in my collection, I remember purchasing at least 20 years ago for $25 or less, (which I considered high for the book at the time); I might have even paid $10 or less as I don't remember. I recommended it to someone 2 nights ago for research for their Master's degree, and found out it was very rare and now selling at $500 a copy. I referred her to a free copy on Google Books. ;)

Another rare book I tried to find for two years and it ended up costing me $200 in poor condition. The book has become more common, and there are now copies in Good Condition available for $100, which means my copy is probably worth $50 or less.

Try and figure out what the book is worth to you. That is much more important unless you are purchasing for resale or as an investment.

Good luck-

Vintage Betty

Lorena B

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
Lorena B, I've collected books for close to 30 years, and worked in 3 bookshops. Perhaps I can help with your dilemma?

1) What is the book worth to you? Are you going to get £25 enjoyment or usage out of the book? Will you kick yourself for more than a couple days if you don't purchase it? Will you look for it again when you miss this opportunity, and be willing to pay more? The price isn't an issue. The value of the book to you is the issue.

2) What is the condition of the book? If it's in superb condition, can you sell it and get your money back? Does it have mold? Moldy books are near worthless.

3) What's the value of the book? If you call the shop and get the name (and a 48 hour hold on the book) you can cross reference other prices from other booksellers. Simply use Amazon, as it's the default for most booksellers these days.

To give you an idea, I purchased a book at a Library Book Sale a couple weeks ago that I REALLY liked and it ended up costing me a whopping .50. When I got home, I found it was really rare and was worth $500. :D While that's really great, I plan on keeping the book regardless of value, because it's of interest to me.

Another book in my collection, I remember purchasing at least 20 years ago for $25 or less, (which I considered high for the book at the time); I might have even paid $10 or less as I don't remember. I recommended it to someone 2 nights ago for research for their Master's degree, and found out it was very rare and now selling at $500 a copy. I referred her to a free copy on Google Books. ;)

Another rare book I tried to find for two years and it ended up costing me $200 in poor condition. The book has become more common, and there are now copies in Good Condition available for $100, which means my copy is probably worth $50 or less.

Try and figure out what the book is worth to you. That is much more important unless you are purchasing for resale or as an investment.

Good luck-

Vintage Betty

Thank you for the imput VB

I will give it a go as what i got in mind is perhaps take ideas of the patters and make myself (try better said) to make myself some of its desings.

I guess it will work very well as a pattern locator.

And i guess... if li have been thinking about it soo much it means i really want it.

Thank you again ;)

Lorena B

Practically Family
Hey guys, i know is not the purchase thread but i wanted to show you the book i was asking your opinion about.
Yes, at the end i got it and it will be great to locate some nice patters to sew at home.

Once again, Thank you to you VintageBetty and Maggiethespy for putting me out of my miserylol

Here it is.

HPIM2186-1.jpg

and the inside

HPIM2187.jpg

HPIM2188.jpg

Apple Annie

New in Town
For the would-be seamstress...

I've just found this for all of us out there who want to learn to sew but have no idea where to start -

1926—The New-Way Course in Fashionable Clothes-Making

From 1926 - A bit early for the FL, but it's interesting all the same.

And with lesson titles going from "A Lesson on Seams" to "The Etiquette of the Afternoon Gown", as well as instructions on how to open a dress shop, it has pretty much everything. Of course a lot of it is outdated, but it gives a really good foundation and it assumes that you have never picked up a needle before.

And it's free!

Just thought there might be some people here who were interested :)

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Soo...I finally talked my mom into teaching me how to sew and I believe I may have even gotten her excited to start sewing again ;)

We went through the patterns at Jo-Ann's (I was so happy to use my coupon on top of their 50% off Vogue patterns!) and this is what I am starting out with. Thanks to all the tips from you ladies, I hope to take in all the advice and whip up something wearable lol

http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V2960.htm??tab=vintage_vogue&page=1

http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V2961.htm??tab=vintage_vogue&page=1

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Fabric Woes....

I am having a heck of a time finding decent fabric.....i have been to Joann's time and time again and besides their corduroy section, it is very difficult to find the types of fabric I want to use for my dresses and shirts. I like the pinwale cord for skirts and pants, but I need to move on to something besides corduroy. :) Or maybe I don't...
Anywhoo....they don't even have any shirting there right now and I have very little in "blousewear" to pair with my new skirts and jumpers (that's the american jumper, not british) :). And I want to make blouses like this out of some kind of soft cotton:

shirt.jpg

Where, oh where do you ladies go? Online? Local quilting shops? Any and all advice would be loverly!!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I purchsed some from trendyfabrics.com recently and was very impressed! If you decide to join, pm me so you can reference me! You earn points, which equate to 1 cent, and over time they build up on your account and you can save quite a bit. Almost all of their fabrics are in 60" width, too.

I'm also a fan of JoAnn's, but I'll go to Walmart in a pinch.

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
Fabric sources

Miss Amelina: For fun prints I usually go to my local quilting store. For work wear and more fancy fabrics, I really like gorgeousfabrics.com. They are super nice and the fabrics really are gorgeous. I am very spoiled though because I can dash off to the NYC garment district on the weekends. The only drawback to online is that you can't touch the fabric. However, a lot of sites will send swatches. Vogue Fabrics is another good source. They called me when one of my items was going to ship later. Great customer service and fabric! Hope that helps a little.

Rachael

A-List Customer
I hear that about the selection at JoAnn. It seems more like a craft store than a fabric store some days, but then there are the days when you get lucky and find silk dupioni for $10/yd or wool suitings.

For online shopping, I would recommend http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/. They have a large selection, and list what garments each fabric is suitable for. If you just do a search for shirting you should find plenty to inspire you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay