Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing machine used to make flight jackets during WW2...

BobJ

Practically Family
I stumbled upon this photo and caption on the website of a veteran who makes leather wallets and such. I found it interesting to envision A-2's being churned out at wartime speed on these simple little machines:

$(KGrHqRHJEsE-lTe,G8OBPqc9j!4-g~~60_1.JPG

The old sewing machine I use came from a factory that manufactured leather flight jackets during World War II.

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBay...descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
my mom still personally use that kind of sewing machine with pedal made by singer too, with wooden desk and the unit can be flipped down inside the desk and the hinged extension can fold on top as its lid.

she only uses it to sew dress or other fabrics stuff tho, not leather.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
What does she use it for?
she is a dress maker, but if I come visit with a pair of pants need some alteration :D then she use it for that too free of charge.

btw I think that machine was black with golden filigree striping when new, at least what my mom and grandma own were black with golden decoration

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
she is a dress maker, but if I come visit with a pair of pants need some alteration :D then she use it for that too free of charge.

btw I think that machine was black with golden filigree striping when new, at least what my mom and grandma own were black with golden decoration

You could probably sell to someone in Japan for a pretty penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
That looks to be an industrial Singer. It's a beefier version than one would likely be used by a dress maker. They weigh a ton and can sew through just about anything. My friend shot a wooden yardstick across the room by "flooring it" just for laughs.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@navetsea, yeah, my mother also used to have a black and gold Singer back when I was a kid. Maybe this is the same kind of thing, but on steroids!

IIRC Singer also made the little electronic gizmo that USN planes used to jam the SAM guidance signal in Vietnam.

Anyway, BobJ, you say this is good for sewing leather, so I guess it'd be ok for sewing skin too, right?

BobJ

Practically Family
@navetsea, yeah, my mother also used to have a black and gold Singer back when I was a kid. Maybe this is the same kind of thing, but on steroids!

IIRC Singer also made the little electronic gizmo that USN planes used to jam the SAM guidance signal in Vietnam.

Anyway, BobJ, you say this is good for sewing leather, so I guess it'd be ok for sewing skin too, right?

As in: "It puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the hose again"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto