Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shapeable homburg other than Akubra's?

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I love the idea behind the Akubra homburg but, its brim curls on the sides more than what I'm looking for. Are there any companies offering an open-crown (shapeable) homburg with a flatter brim than the Akubra's? I don't think I want a totally flat brim either. Something like the brim on Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes's homburg would be nice:
Sherlock-Holmes-jeremy-brett-as-sherlock-holmes-32695186-590-757.jpg

160714889_photo-c3431-sherlock-holmes-jeremy-brett.jpg

tumblr_m6awxrSjyq1r94uxk.jpg

Jeremy-Brett-as-Sherlock-Holmes-sherlock-holmes-14711344-304-380.jpg

Nyah

One of the Regulars
One of the major characteristics of a Homburg is the curled brim.

I'm not talking about the 'pencil curl' treatment on the edge of the brim, of which I would agree is the defining part of all homburgs (take that away and it pretty much becomes a fedora). I'm talking about the shape of the brim overall. When viewed from the front, the brim I want shouldn't look as 'smiley' as the one on the Akubra does. My post originally had a photo showing what the brim I want looks like, when viewed from the front. Since that photo is no longer showing up here, the URL of it is:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/pho...brett-as-sherlock-holmes-32695186-590-757.jpg

Of the hats suggested here, the Christy's is probably the only one within my spending means (I'm not going over $220, nor with felt other than rabbit). A hat store that I occasionally visit sells Christy'ses so, if I like what I see there, maybe I'll go for it. Another possibility is a custom maker. Buckaroo will do a homburg brim but, I'll have to find out if they'll do an open, shapeable crown.

Last edited:
What you describe is a Homburg brim flange. It's a major characteristic of a Homburg. Historically there was very little if not any difference between a Fedora and Homburg.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
What you describe is a Homburg brim flange. It's a major characteristic of a Homburg. Historically there was very little if not any difference between a Fedora and Homburg.

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me. I've seen homburgs with a brim that curls a lot on the sides and others, which have an almost flat brim (flat except for the vertical edge binding that all homburgs have). The premise of this thread is to find a shapeable-crown homburg that has a specific amount of brim curl (as seen in the photos I linked to).

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me. I've seen homburgs with a brim that curls a lot on the sides and others, which have an almost flat brim (flat except for the vertical edge binding that all homburgs have). The premise of this thread is to find a shapeable-crown homburg that has a specific amount of brim curl (as seen in the photos I linked to).
My point is once you take that characteristic (German Brim Curl) out it's no longer a Homburg. I believe I have some experience in this department. :)

Last edited:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can probably reshape the brim to a degree with a little steam if you wanted a slightly flatter profile from the front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk