Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share your jacket patina/scar story

Roll2me

Familiar Face
Let me start

This little guy is chewing my jacket and left a little mark in very short while

f9981399ba35305316ce03864b12b5a1.jpg
75accf8592a85883bcd8ab4196672657.jpg
f5d13ddfc376cf7455ebc9bf8b7eb664.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roll2me

Familiar Face
I'm laughing...who knew a bee could unleash such carnage?!

Yeah. I thought it’s just resting there. So I let it and took a picture of it.

But then when I check closely it’s chewing the jacket and left a scar!

Roll2me

Familiar Face
This thread could be good.
Provided people keep jackets long enough to tell a story. Seems lots leave home early and live orphaned!
B

I agree.

Leather jacket is glorified as “heirloom” , “exceed my lifetime”, “love the patina and creases” , etc. but sadly, as you said, the owner may not use it long enough to make stories together with the jacket.

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
Wore my Eastman Leather Co. Star Sportswear A-2 repro aboard the Madras Maiden (now Ye Olde Pub) September 2017 for my first B-17 flight! Had a great time... got a mild scratch on it from climbing all over the Fortress like the monkey... some would say I added a bit of authenticity to my A-2 and added a 2% increase in its value! lol! a real bonafide B-17 mark on my jacket! :D
IMG_7820.JPG

IMG_7709.JPG

Last edited:

Roll2me

Familiar Face
Wore my Eastman Leather Co. Star Sportswear A-2 repro aboard the Madras Maiden (now Ye Olde Pub) September 2017 for my first B-17 flight! Had a great time... got a mild scratch on it from climbing all over the Fortress like the monkey... some would say I added a bit of authenticity to my A-2 and added a 2% increase in its value! lol! a real bonafide B-17 mark on my jacket! :D
View attachment 181278
View attachment 181279

Nice!

Dav

One Too Many
This is my little unwanted patina woe, I got bitten by a rather large mastiff cross while trying to break up a fight, it's only a small hole but the tooth went right into my arm, I can tell you being on the ground with your arm in a mastiffs mouth is to say the least concerning. Still all was good in the end, it wasn't intentional, just the heat of battle.
Anyway the hole doesn't concern me, just means I can't sell it on, not that that's my thing anyway.
IMG_20190822_075102-1641x2188.jpg
IMG_20190822_075129-2188x1641.jpg
IMG_20190822_075208-1641x2188.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Everyone wants a jacket that looks 30 years old, from my own experience the only way to get it looking like that is to wear it for 30 years ;)

Ps,I think thats a wasp rather than a bee

The only way I've seen is to buy one someone else has worn for 30 years. Or 6 people have worn for 5 years.:D Very few people hang onto a jacket. I do have one I bought in 1984 and it still fits beautifully. Problem is I only wore it a total of 2 years over the decades. The thing looks newish. :eek:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The only way I've seen is to buy one someone else has worn for 30 years. Or 6 people have worn for 5 years.:D Very few people hang onto a jacket. I do have one I bought in 1984 and it still fits beautifully. Problem is I only wore it a total of 2 years over the decades. The thing looks newish. :eek:
Hi Seb, yes the for sales page on here, eBay and Etsy etc account for a lot of jackets described as hardly worn, as new, perfect etc, and that can account for anything so as not to loose resale value which I personally see as not getting the full enjoyment from something. It looks as though resale value has almost been part of the original purchase plan. I remember a guy with a new Kawasaki street fighter style bike not wanting to take it over so many miles as his plan to sell it and get another bike. Also of a friend who buys books and gets rid of them as soon as they are read. I wished to look at one of his books but he took the dust jacket off and asked me not to open it too much as it may crease the spine, I declined to bother with it then.
As to jackets I rarely get rid of any, overall I tend to hang on to things until they have out lived their usefulness. In fact the only Aero Jacket I have sold/swapped was my Battersea Contract A2 that Aero now have back after 30+ years. A few other makes have come and gone but generally I keep them. My Eastman Roughwear is now wearing the cuffs and other wear points right through it looks like an original(so I have been told) except cleaner and that is around 18 years old also. I do try to spread my using of each item though I do use certain jackets for certain events be it sunny or rainy days.
As a lot of Aero advertising claims that these items are made to last a lifetime, I doubt I have enough life left to wear even one of them out.
Cheers seeya, J

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
In the first "bee" photo that sucker is indeed a EUROPEAN WASP ! They are a notifiable pest here in Western Australia and an established long term feral invader in the eastern states of Australia. Underground (sandy soil) nests of up to a MILLION individuals have been found here in metro Perth. They dig 'em up with sting protected JCB/CAT diggers and spray them with Diesel and other accelerants and BURN the bastards. Mostly because there is "no winter" here as far as European wasp biology knows , and they damage emerging fruit/grapes/peaches etc etc.

Unlike a bee they have a multiple sting capability and I once had one down the front of my (now 30 year old) first Eastman Luftwaffe at 100 Km/H ( 65 MPH!) and it had 6 stings from neck to belly button as I PUNCHED myself in the chest while trying to safely slow down one handed on the bars. SCARY ride that. My first intro to European wasps in Australia that was.

Local residents have NO sympathy when Government departments hunt them down to local extinction.

On the aged leather items I still have my "made to measure" bespoke black steerhide motorcycle racing trousers , by TT Leathers in the Isle of Man. Excellnt patina now , including a "scraped arse" , trouble is they are for some "skinny ba***rd" haha...

Clifton

New in Town
Hi Dav, an honourable wound that reminded me of the time I playfully grabbed my first wife causing her to squeal. Bridie, our Deerhound, tugged at my right forearm and her canine teeth went through my heavy duty bike leather and the flying jacket I was wearing on top. It was very cold, I'd just ridden home and Bridie was taking care of the ex, what a good girl. I refer to the dog, of course.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I had an old dog, Buddy, who was on a monthly regimen of steroids to stay alive. Well, one morning, stupid me goes in for a kiss, and I'm left with my nose virtually hanging off my face. Over 100 stitches and plastic surgery. Still kiss my pets, haven't learned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB