Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sharpening eye pencils

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
I have several eye liner pencils and have tried several sharpeners on them to no avail. Does anyone have any tricks for getting a point on pencils again?

Thanks!
Mary

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure I understand how to answer this, but I will try. It depends on the pencil and the sharpener, as far as my experience has shown me. Softer pencils being harder to get a sharp point on, of course. And you'll always shred a good bit of product, more than I ever want to admit, to get something sharp enough to draw a very thin line with when dealing with the softer eyeliners. The harder liners - they sharpen pretty easily I've found. If you're talking about fat eyeliners that don't fit into a regular sharpener, I found this one at Sally Beauty Supply that has spots for fat and thin pencils, and even has a collar around the fat end that's removable so that I can even sharpen my NYX pencils without problems.

ongsar

New in Town
I'm not sure I understand how to answer this, but I will try. It depends on the pencil and the sharpener, as far as my experience has shown me. Softer pencils being harder to get a sharp point on, of course. And you'll always shred a good bit of product, more than I ever want to admit, to get something sharp enough to draw a very thin line with when dealing with the softer eyeliners. The harder liners - they sharpen pretty easily I've found. If you're talking about fat eyeliners that don't fit into a regular sharpener, I found this one at Sally Beauty Supply that has spots for fat and thin pencils, and even has a collar around the fat end that's removable so that I can even sharpen my NYX pencils without problems.

I second all of that. Also, you can stick the pencils in the freezer for 5 minutes or so and it will firm them up to that they take a sharper point. Just make sure to let them thaw again before you use them :)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Putting them in the fridge is a great idea.

There is usually a tiny piece of plastic at the end of the blade in the sharpener which is there to keep a more blunt end on the pencil - I break the little piece of plastic off and that way I get a great point on all my pencils.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112