Sheeley Parachute Co G1 and BR B-10/B-15 Jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dudewuttheheck, Dec 11, 2019.

1. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

I had a couple of questions about some military jackets and I figured I would put them in one thread instead of starting two at the same time.

As some of you know, I am currently having the sleeves on two of my jackets shortened by Dave Sheeley. As I do I searched around for his work before and after I chose him. While searching his ebay I noticed that he had a G-1 jacket that I had never heard of before. Has anyone heard of the Sheeley Parachute Co. G-1? The most interesting detail is the fact that the stitching is done with silk thread. I had not heard of that on a jacket before. Does anyone know of other jackets like this and jackets sewn with silk thread?

I'll have a new thread up to discuss the results of the sleeve shortening as well. Should be done this week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second topic/question is about the wool/alpaca lining on the Buzz Rickson B-10 and B-15 jackets. I've been needing a warmer jacket in the morning for work, but I want something that I actually like the look of and these are my two top choices. The only issue is that I'm worried about the lining being itchy or uncomfortable. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm sure @HPA Rep has some insight too, but I'd also love some experience from other owners.

HPA Rep, Maverickson and thor like this.
  2. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Switlik M-422as used silk thread IIRC. I think they were primarily a parachute maker during the war. This was discussed here or on VLJ recently.

dudewuttheheck and thor like this.
  3. thor

thor One Too Many

I chatted with Dave afew days ago via e-mail; apparently he was the one who outbid me on eBay on a very, very rare Switlik Parachute Co. M-422 (they were one of only 3 companies that received a contract for the first model M-422, along with Monarch and Willis & Geiger).
    He’s replicated the Switlik jacket but changed the company name on the label since the Switlik company still exists (now making primarily shipboard lifesaving gear like inflatable life rafts, survival suits, etc).
    I am actually relieved that I was outbid by Dave; a jacket artisan now owns the Switlik M-422 and I’m sure he’ll do a great job reproducing it.

4. dudewuttheheck

Ah, that's why I saw the Switlik tag in one of the ebay photos. Makes sense to change it if they are indeed still around.

I'm not on VLJ so maybe I missed that thread. If anyone has a link I'd love to read about it.

nick123 likes this.
  5. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Just checked; and stand corrected. It was a comment from @Skyhawk rather than a thread. But there's a renewed interest in silk, having that SAT A-2 turn up.

dudewuttheheck likes this.
  6. Bobby Peru

Bobby Peru One of the Regulars

I recently discovered Dave and his work. Some of the civilian style examples he has on eBay look fantastic.

7. dudewuttheheck

Yeah that's very interesting. I honestly did not know about that.

nick123 likes this.
  8. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 Call Me a Cab

Dave is also working on a prototype for a civilian model in my size! I just ask Dave to remind me what that jacket was going to look like, I've lost track. We exchanged a lot of pictures and he exchanged a lot of knowledge.

Maverickson and dudewuttheheck like this.
  9. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

The only itchiness I've experienced with B-10s was on an Aero, who use pure alpaca. No itchiness on another alpaca-lined Aero though (even over just a t-shirt), so I guess it was a batch thing. Not sure if any other maker uses pure alpaca rather than a wool-alpaca blend?

Assuming it is a batch thing, the risk might still be there even with a blend. I would ask @HPA Rep in any event since he might be able to tell you more about the current batch of BR's.

HPA Rep likes this.
  10. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

No experience with BR alpaca, but my Aero alpaca on my LHB bothered me enough that I had it relined in wool herringbone.

11. HPA Rep

HPA Rep Sponsoring Affiliate

Every WWII-vintage jacket I have handled definitely has what I would describe as a prickly feel to the alpaca-and-wool linings. I am not the best guy to ask about sensitivity, though, because I am largely immune to being bothered by wool, but I can perceive the scratchiness that drives some people crazy.

The jackets from Buzz Rickson's and Eastman do indeed have the prickly feel to the linings, but I have noticed in the last couple of years that the linings from BR are sometimes much less prickly than older versions. I do not know if this is due to a new supplier of the fibers or just the randomness of the lots we get, but most of what I have experienced in the way of new stock coming in this year has not been as prickly as jackets from, say, 3 years ago.

If you let us know you want one that is the least prickly, I will make sure we send you what I can perceive is the least prickly, but my assessment will be subjective to my perception.

Thank you.

Rabbit and dudewuttheheck like this.
  12. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

Same as Charles I'm largely immune as well, been wearing originals vintage 20s-40s rough woolens and tweeds for years (trousers, jackets, overcoats) and never had an issue with it.
    This being said, that one single Aero B-10 I own is clearly an outlier in terms of prickly/itchy feeling of the pure alpaca liner compared to what I'm used to.