Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shinki vs Langlitz Horsehide

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This deserves its own post.

Shinki Himel - awesome leather!!!! My favorite.

This is a sample of Langlitz Horsehide against the Himel Shinki.

What do you think?

It looks and feels the same to me.

Langlitz Horse is from Italy but tanned in Japan.

shinki vs langlitz.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
This deserves its own post.

Shinki Himel - awesome leather!!!! My favorite.

This is a sample of Langlitz Horsehide against the Himel Shinki.

What do you think?

It looks and feels the same to me.

Langlitz Horse is from Italy but tanned in Japan.

View attachment 206213

I agree with you, it looks exactly the same... Interesting...
What is the Langlitz upcharge for the horse? Curious as to how it compares with the price of an average Shinki made jacket.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
What is the Langlitz upcharge for the horse? Curious as to how it compares with the price of an average Shinki made jacket.

The langlitz upcharge for horsehide is obscene, like +$1800, and I keep hearing that they no longer offer it. Or maybe I'm confusing that with that they no longer offer their heaviest weight leather as an option anymore.

sweetfights

$1200 upcharge. But that charge makes Langlitz in Himel cost territory.

sweetfights

The langlitz upcharge for horsehide is obscene, like +$1800, and I keep hearing that they no longer offer it. Or maybe I'm confusing that with that they no longer offer their heaviest weight leather as an option anymore.

They no longer offer the heavy cowhide. $1200 upgrade.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
So that's around $2500 for a base model horse Langlitz, that's definitely up there...
That's more expensive than a CXL Vanson, which i would probably put on the same kind of level.

sweetfights

How does Langlitz compare to Himel in terms of construction?

Himel is simply outstanding. Design and construction. Edge to Himel in fine detailing. Dave Himel and John Chapman are in a league of their own.

Langlitz uses so many measurements to fine tune the fit.

Nothing I have had custom made can beat Langlitz fit.

red devil

Himel is simply outstanding. Design and construction. Edge to Himel in fine detailing. Dave Himel and John Chapman are in a league of their own.

Langlitz uses so many measurements to fine tune the fit.

Nothing I have had custom made can beat Langlitz fit.

Langlitz are sounding pretty similar to BKS, or the other way around. It took me over half an hour and I wouldn't be able to count the number of measurements (got measured at their workshop), for the riding suit (2 piece).

red devil

Yeah it's a fine line...to dull isn't good either. I think the best is something like Vanson's old comp weight that kind of displays both. I've seen it in some CXL too. Although I felt my third cordo Bootlegger was exceedingly dull.

Best to have a mix, you never know what you feel like on the day :D

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
I'm not too keen on either hide TBH. I'd rather have mid weight or heavy cow. Looks too shiny and crispy for my taste.
Ton, do I understand correct you like most that kind of grainy CXL your final Aero HB was made of? I mean that your impressive Aero "Dreadnought" HB which I liked most from all your jackets diversity. When anybody's speaking of good heavy&grainy leather, I usually think of that jacket's photos.
Though, I also very like Shinki, it's kind of special beast.

Last edited:

Colin G

One Too Many
$1200 upcharge. But that charge makes Langlitz in Himel cost territory.

Langlitz will guarantee the fit. I don't think Himel will do that (maybe they do?) so right there my biz would go to Langlitz. For that kind of an upcharge I'd want a fit guarantee which you do get from Langlitz.

I have a sample of the Langlitz horse and it is darn nice. Probably the nicest horse hide I have seen in person. (I've owned Schott horse, currently own Rainbow Country and Colimbo in horse).

With Langlitz it was not worth $1200 to me since I am not wealthy but if I had the extra cash to spend, I'd do it and pony up no questions asked.

I am no fan of Horween CXL horsehide or steer for jackets. For boots it is ok but still I prefer other leathers. I think I am the only guy here who dislikes Horween CXL.

The shine on the horsehide goes away after a couple weeks of wear.

Last edited:

Colin G

One Too Many

Guppy, it is $1200 and very much available in their mid weight which is heavy compared to everyone else's.

Last edited:
I think I am the only guy here who dislikes Horween CXL.
No, there's plenty of folks who don't like CXL. Which I understand, it's heavy and stiff, easily scratched, prone to strange creasing. I'm personally not a fan of lighter leathers. I've tried. It's just not for me. For whatever reason when I pick up a leather jacket that weighs under 5 lbs...
giphy.gif

That said I've also changed my stance on CXL as my favorite leather ever...not sure that's still true.

sweetfights

Langlitz will guarantee the fit. I don't think Himel will do that (maybe they do?) so right there my biz would go to Langlitz. For that kind of an upcharge I'd want a fit guarantee which you do get from Langlitz.

I have a sample of the Langlitz horse and it is darn nice. Probably the nicest horse hide I have seen in person. (I've owned Schott horse, currently own Rainbow Country and Colimbo in horse).

With Langlitz it was not worth $1200 to me since I am not wealthy but if I had the extra cash to spend, I'd do it and pony up no questions asked.

I am no fan of Horween CXL horsehide or steer for jackets. For boots it is ok but still I prefer other leathers. I think I am the only guy here who dislikes Horween CXL.

The shine on the horsehide goes away after a couple weeks of wear.

I am with you on that- With the Langlitz Guarantee, how could you go wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot