Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Polish That Won't Darken Leather

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I did a search and found some old threads with related information but I wanted to specifically ask about polish or cream that won't darken brown, tobacco colored leather. Beeswax was suggested to me, but no particular brand.

The leather I have has developed a nice two tone effect where the darker color has worn off. I love the look and would hate to lose it.

Thanks.

kronos77, a neutral cream polish is probably your best bet. I use a Scout product labeled "Delicate" and it goes on clear and produces a nice shine without darkening. If you reach a point where you need to add color to the leather use cream polish several shades lighter than the leather you're polishing. Even this will darken the leather over time.

I don't use wax based products unless it's a "spit" shine I'm looking for. Even then I only use a very small amount as wax will build up and doesn't do a lot for conditioning the leather.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Bamaboots,

Thanks.

Does the polish give any sort of waterproofing or is a wax polish necessary for that?

Sorry, but I am new to this shoe and boot care stuff. It seems different than caring for a leather jacket which really involves doing nothing.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies. I just came across a Lexol product i was not familiar with. It is the 3-in-1 non darkening formula. Cleans, conditions, protects...supposedly without darkening the leather. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone have opinions about Lexol generally?

kronos77, I've used a lot of Lexol over the years but mostly on harness leathers and saddles. It's been a few years since I've used any but I seem to remember it darkening the leather a bit, not a lot but some. Lexol is a good product. I collect cowboy boots, both vintage and custom made and the product I use just for cleaning and conditioning is Bickmore 4. I really like the product and it has never darkened any of the leather I've used it on.

Thanks for the replies. I just came across a Lexol product i was not familiar with. It is the 3-in-1 non darkening formula. Cleans, conditions, protects...supposedly without darkening the leather. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone have opinions about Lexol generally?

I mainly use Lexol conditioning wipes on boots, saddles, belts, hat sweatbands, you name it...even my wife's leather living room furniture.
Nothing but good results so far.
I've used the Urad Leather Mate stuff to restore old leather items, sheaths, holsters, reins, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto