Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe question

matei

One Too Many
I was in the need of a new pair of shoes in a hurry. I stopped by Marks 'n Sparks and I picked up these:
http://www.marksandspencer.com/IWCa...chant_Id=1&Section_Id=6059&Product_Id=1344099

I never seem to have good luck with shoes, as I have rather wide feet. I like these shoes though. It is getting hard to find durable leather soled shoes at a reasonable price...

Here is the question - does anyone know when this particular style of shoe became popular?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Matei:
Alan Flussser has a lot of good background/historical information on mens footwear in his books Clothes and the Man and Dressing the Man.
Mens shoes were generally 'hightops' around the turn of the century and gradually got lower as time went on. The captoe oxford model in you picture was pretty popular all through the Twenties and Thirties, but some men still wore high-topped shoes and slip-ons were also prevalent, especially among the wealthier 'Blade' types.

Try Flusser's book as a starting point. He has a lot of useful information and he is one of the few custom tailors who is an avid devotee of the 'Golden Age' of mens fashion.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Nice classic captoe style. Everybody needs captoes.

I know they can be on the expensive side, though you can get pretty good deals from the outlets. If you do decide to get a pair and order from the outlets be sure to try on the version of the pair you want before you order.

They may be expensive, though you will notice the difference in comfort and they will last you many years.

Brownargyles-vi.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm going to side with Matt on this one. Over the past year and a half I've significantly upgraded my shoes, and it's a beautiful thing. Once you 'get' good shoes, you'll not go back. In the US, take a look at Allen Edmonds and Alden (I know Matt is a big Alden guy). They're really the only USA made dress shoes worth spending the money on. The Brits, by the way, make probably the best shoes in the world in Northhampton--Edward Green (out of my league!), Crockett & Jones, Grenson, Alfred Sargent.

For discounted Allen Edmonds, try ebay (especially the Allen Edmonds store actually run by AE), AE outlets and Nordstrom Racks. You can turn up new pairs for $90-$140 or so for $300 shoes retail. Remember, these will last for years (use shoe trees!), far longer than lesser brands, and they'll look better after wear and use, not quickly deteriorate.

matei

One Too Many
Update on an old post...

I picked up a pair of Tricker's shoes (www.trickers.com) last weekend. The wife and I were walking along Jermyn Street just window shopping, when she suggested that I duck in to Tricker's to find out exactly what size I am...

I had no intention of buying anything, but once I tried on a pair of "Kensington" semi- (http://www.trickers.com/Collections/1829/1829.html) in my size (apparently 9.5 UK in this shoe, but 10 to 10.5 in anything else) I couldn't refuse. I got them at a good price as well, as there was a big sale going on (£145 I believe - they usually go for much more).

The shoes are very comfortable, no painful break-in period and no aching arches/toes at the end of the day. You get what you pay for!

Not only are the shoes class, but the service was exemplary. Good service makes a difference. If anyone is in London I would recommend these shoes.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Now that Church's is going the way of Borsalino and it's been reported that many of the Church's salesmen don't wear Church's since the company was bought out, I guess Trickers is turning into the new Church's.

I bought a pair of Church's about a year ago and the leather was dry feeling and they only had one last shape to choose from... I'll have to test drive some Trickers. Show us some pics when you get the chance.

matei

One Too Many
Those are some swell looking boots...

The salesman was giving out about the fact that several of the big RTW shoe names have been bought out and their products have slipped. Apparently this crowd (Trickers) is still privately owned. He did say that there is a Trickers Int'l, but they parted with the parent company several years ago and do not have any more to do with the same products.

As soon as I get a digital camera I'll post some picks. They are similar to the shoes that Matt posted a picture of earlier in the thread - they are almost identical!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
English half brogues by Loakes...

I got these for my 21st birthday, nearly 20 years ago now!! yikes..!! and they just get better looking as the years go by! Loakes are a wee bit more affordable than the likes of Crockett, Trickers, Churches..et al.

SHOES001.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BT..those vintage style boots...

I have been after an affordable pair of those in black for ages!! Even posted the fact somewhere in the distant past. I'm going to follow those links of yours up as they are exactly what I am after for a dress boot. Otherwise I'm going to fall back on my old favourite, RM WILLIAMS, with the elasticated sided work boots (dressy enough for me with a suit!). Thanks for those BT..!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk