Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe trees

Milu

Familiar Face
What is the correct way to use shoe trees?

I had always understood that one put them in the shoes when the shoe was removed and the shoe was "hot" and damp so the shoe would dry around them.

I read on the Alden site (I think) that shoe trees should be fitted after the shoes had cooled. Is this correct or does it only apply to shell cordovan which is what I was reading about?

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
I use cedar shoe trees and always put them in when I take the shoes off. I was told the reason being that the cedar helps to deodorize and helps the drying processs. Also helps to keep the toe from curling up.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Milu said:
I read on the Alden site (I think) that shoe trees should be fitted after the shoes had cooled. Is this correct or does it only apply to shell cordovan which is what I was reading about?
I've discussed this with an Alden rep and they do recommend this for all of their shoes. The rational is that the absence of trees, for a half hour or so, will allow for greater evaporation of moisture. It makes sense but there is a downside; you may forget or be unavailable to put the trees in after this cool-down period.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Welcome Milu. I try to always put trees in my shoes after taking them off. I usually take them off just before going to bed, therefore the trees go in right away. If not they wouldn't make it in until morning.....which is too late.

P.S.

You might want to put something in your location field of your profile that gives people some idea where on the planet you are. It helps members to understand you better.

moustache

Practically Family
MK said:
Welcome Milu. I try to always put trees in my shoes after taking them off. I usually take them off just before going to bed, therefore the trees go in right away. If not they wouldn't make it in until morning.....which is too late.

I agree here.I do the same thing.

JD

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
I'll confess to taking off my good shoes before getting in the car when leaving the office, and putting on a pair of top-siders for the drive home. I put the shoe trees in when I get home.

I have to admit to a little bit of embarrassment at this finickiness, but I hate the way the back of the heels get messed up by the floor mats.

Marty M.

Vendor
Cedar Aroma, the sole to a shoe.

I also put my cedar shoe tree's in right after I take off my shoes. I have different size shoe trees depending on the the size of the last that the shoe was made on. I've always heard that you can bring back the cedar aroma of an old shoe tree by lightly sanding it with very fine sand paper or steel wool. I've never tried doing that. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has.
Marty

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
Sanding the shoe trees definitely works. I can't say how often I do it, not as often as I should most likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats