Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoes for bad feet?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
So, it seems that I've developed plantar fasciitis. Right now, the only shoes I can wear are an old pair of Birkenstocks. I've been given a couple brands of shoes to stick with, Mephisto, Naot, ect but most of the shoes are very unfashionable and the ones that aren't ugly are not even remotely vintage or retro inspired. Does anyone here have plantar fasciitis? Are there vintage-y shoes? Are there ways to make my Re-Mix wedges work?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So, it seems that I've developed plantar fasciitis. Right now, the only shoes I can wear are an old pair of Birkenstocks. I've been given a couple brands of shoes to stick with, Mephisto, Naot, ect but most of the shoes are very unfashionable and the ones that aren't ugly are not even remotely vintage or retro inspired. Does anyone here have plantar fasciitis? Are there vintage-y shoes? Are there ways to make my Re-Mix wedges work?

Can your podatrist make you an orthotic insert that helps? I have numerous foot problems, and I have a "dress shoe insert" (3/4 length) that goes into any closed back shoe. They are expensive, but they really help my feet and my health insurance covers part of them. (I get a "new set" every two years).

Wedges and such I just tolerate, but try to rotate days. I do have to buy my shoes a half a size larger, and accomodating the insert into some shoe styles can be tricky.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I feel your pain. I had plantar fascitis pretty bad for a good part of last year, and it comes back from time to time. I found the only shoes I could wear without agony were Clinics -- nurse-style oxfords with substantial arch support. They aren't very stylish, but neither do they look like modern Minnie Mouse-style orthopedic shoes --they're basically the sort of thing a waitress/housewife would have worn in the Era.

If its any consolation, in my case the plantar f. resolved itself over a period of several months, and now it's pretty much gone. So it isn't always permanent.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the Clinic recommendation! A friend took me to a specialty shop and I found a pair of wedges that feel good and look good. I also put a pair of loafers on layaway and got some running shoes. The only thing missing in my new shoe wardrobe is a pair of oxfords. My feet are messed up from 20 years of ballet and extremely high arches.

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Thanks for the Clinic recommendation! A friend took me to a specialty shop and I found a pair of wedges that feel good and look good. I also put a pair of loafers on layaway and got some running shoes. The only thing missing in my new shoe wardrobe is a pair of oxfords. My feet are messed up from 20 years of ballet and extremely high arches.
Maybe I have been lucky, but the Remix Spectators work for me. The heel is the right height and I like the closed back Aris Allen has a similar shoe even more comfortable. They are really vintage copies. Check out the Trinket by P.W. Minor.The down side is that they only come in black and even more expensive then Remix. They are oxfords. I am not sure what era they represent. Lizzie Maine may be able to us.

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Kamikat, find yourself a good physiotherapist or massage therapist who's well versed in treatment of myofascial triggerpoints and/or a Rolfer. Your feet need some hands-on therapy. I also recommend obtaining a copy of Clair Davies' The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook and start treating yourself. If done right this condition is very easy to treat successfully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points