Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for work

Tatum

Practically Family
Hi ladies, I have a question for you. I have a part-time gig as a bartender and cocktail waitress, and I am having issues with my shoes. Our work attire is supposed to be black pants/black shirt, but the owner approves of my vintage/repro style, so now us girls are allowed to wear dresses or skirts. I usually go with a cute blouse, pencil skirt and knee-high stockings, with which I have been wearing Doc Martens Mary Janes, as they have always done me well in the past. Maybe not the cutest things, but pretty comfy.

Unfortunately, the last few nights my feet have been killing me. I did take a big fall about 8 weeks ago, during some time off, that might be a factor. I got up this morning and could barely put weight on the one that took the brunt of my fall.

I am hoping that some of you have suggestions on what might be some shoes I would want to look into purchasing, if nothing else to give my feet (and my Docs) a break? Anything that would look good with a pencil skirt and stockings would be helpful, low or no heel please!

Thanks, ladies!

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I posted a picture of my Crocs on the purchases page. I know they're not very vintage but they make a ton of cute styles now that look nothing like the original model. I spend the day on my feet too (I work retail) and while my feet were a little sore at the end of the day, they were by far more comfortable than anything else I've tried so far. I can highly recommend the Malindi flat.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Also, you may want to get your foot checked out by a doc. Those little falls have a way of coming back to haunt you.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
If the doc says everything is a-ok. see a good chiropractor next. You may have tweaked something in your back or hips and that is causing the discomfort in your feet...I speak from experience! Once I get all the muscles kinks worked out by the massage therapist and then the chiro comes in and cracks me like a bag of 'tater chips, I'm good to go again :) No more walkin' like I got a hitch in me giddy-up!
I think your 'docs' will work fine again once you get aligned!

Opal

New in Town
Hello, I'm new and haven't even gotten around to introducing myself, but I had to reply because I've had the same issue finding good work shoes. The best shoes that I've found for comfort are Danskos. In keeping with a vintage look, they do have mary jane styles and I have their version of a wingtip oxford. I think I could walk around the world in those things! They're not cheap, but certainly well worth the price, imho. I hope you recover from your injury soon!

Tatum

Practically Family
Thanks to everyone for the replies, I will look into everything suggested!

It's much better today, other than the twinges in other places from favoring it, of course... Fortunately, the owners of the restaurant are a podiatrist and his wife, so I have the perfect doc to look at it. Hubby thinks it is a pulled tendon or ligament, as he has experience with similar injuries.

If I have to wrap it for a while or wear a brace, so be it!

Tatum

Practically Family
ZombieGirl said:
I posted a picture of my Crocs on the purchases page. I know they're not very vintage but they make a ton of cute styles now that look nothing like the original model. I spend the day on my feet too (I work retail) and while my feet were a little sore at the end of the day, they were by far more comfortable than anything else I've tried so far. I can highly recommend the Malindi flat.

Wow, they do have some nice stuff now. I really like the Lavender!

laotou said:
Check out Shoes for Crews

Their line has definitely changed as well!

Opal said:
The best shoes that I've found for comfort are Danskos.
Now, those are some fabulous shoes! I'm going to have to see if I can get them locally (I HAVE to try stuff on)!

You girls are amazing :) Thanks again!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
If you aren't averse to a housewife/nurse type of shoe, check out Clinics -- they're my official shoe for work when I know I'm going to be on my feet all night. They have especially solid arch support, and they wear forever.
Lizzie those aren't too bad I may look into myself as I teach and am on my feet all an concrete floors and have often given in the the easy tenis shoe as everything get really dirty as I also teach ceramics. Do they wash up ok?

Smuterella

One Too Many
I've started walking / cycling to and from work (depends on how lazy I'm being - cycling stresses me out) and need something like those clinics rather than mixing my 40's outfits with modern trainers as I am doing. Hmmm...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Land-O-LakesGal said:
Lizzie those aren't too bad I may look into myself as I teach and am on my feet all an concrete floors and have often given in the the easy tenis shoe as everything get really dirty as I also teach ceramics. Do they wash up ok?

I have a pair in brown and a pair in black, (as well as a pair of Clinic "Pert" nurse shoes in white) and they stand up pretty well as long as you give them a whack with a shoe rag and some good shoe polish once in a while. Eventually the soles do wear thru at the ball of the foot, but the rubber surface is easy to patch up with Freesole or any other goop-in-a-tube shoe repair product.

The most vulnerable spot for wear seems to the back of the heel, where the color will eventually wear thru revealing the white plastic. When this happened with my brown ones, I just took them out to the back doorstep, masked off the leather and the sole with masking tape, and hit the heels with a couple of coats of flat brown enamel -- made them look as good as new.

The whites keep up fine with just a coat of Sani-White or some other such liquid polish every couple of weeks during the white-shoe season. I actually wore mine while busting up a nest of termites in my best friend's cellar a couple weeks ago, and got them filthy, but a good going over with leather cleaner and you wouldn't know they were ever dirty.

Smuterella -- they make excellent bicycle shoes. The sole is just grippy enough and the heel just high enough to hold comfortably on the pedals.

Tatum

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
If you aren't averse to a housewife/nurse type of shoe, check out Clinics -- they're my official shoe for work when I know I'm going to be on my feet all night. They have especially solid arch support, and they wear forever.

Definitely not adverse to that look! Thanks!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
I favor merrells myself...

granted...not terribly 'vintage' looking...but my feet come before looks of the shoes.. but I do need them to be -passibly- business attire looking...

but ones that are vaguely mary jane like

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Pro...6W/0/Women/Footwear/Filters/Womens/Spire-Emme

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Pro...5551W/0/Women/Footwear/Filters/Womens/Petunia

Not cheap...but I have had pairs last me years and they are very comfy.

Those wedges are nice! My husband lives in Merrells, but I hadn't realised they did nice shoes for women.

Smuterella

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Smuterella -- they make excellent bicycle shoes. The sole is just grippy enough and the heel just high enough to hold comfortably on the pedals.

If they shipped here i'd be in like a shot. does anyone know where I can find similar in the UK?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's an outfit in Ontario called "Shoe King Family Footwear" that ships worldwide, and carries Clinics. They have an eBay presence athttp://stores.ebay.co.uk/Shoe-King-Family-Footwear

They do tend to be more expensive than some of the other retailers. On the other hand, though, they're the only place out there that still has Coquettes available in brown. I've gotten a couple of pairs from them over the years, and they tend to ship quickly and reliably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112