Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short brim vs. wide brim fedora

Which do you prefer?

• Short brim

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Wide Brim

Votes: 87 68.0%
  • I wear both

Votes: 32 25.0%

• Total voters

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Just in case someone may not know the difference.

WIDE BRIM
fedora_hats.gif

SHORT BRIM
Fedora-Hats.jpg

Which do you prefer?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Ye Gods Honda!!!

Those are the WORST examples of stingy brims I've seen in a while! :eusa_doh:

Take a look at the stylish examples worn by diazawaguy and others and tell me they don't measure up to any wide brim you'll find?

It all comes down to the circumstance and the look I'm after.

And generally, the difference is based on the 2" limit. Anything under 2" is considered a stingy. One of my favourite lids is a Stetson that's bang on 2" and it looks wide compared to some of my stingies.

SDC10180.jpg
SDC10473.jpg

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Ephraim Tutt said:
Ye Gods Honda!!!

Those are the WORST examples of stingy brims I've seen in a while! :eusa_doh:

LOL, I just found some quick Google images for the post. :D

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, I always thought the short brimmed hats were for old guys. My dad and several of the other teachers wore them. Old time movie stars wore the wide brimmed stuff.

Later

Mr E Train

One Too Many
1961MJS said:
Hi, I always thought the short brimmed hats were for old guys. My dad and several of the other teachers wore them. Old time movie stars wore the wide brimmed stuff.

Was this in the 60's or 70's? Stingy brims became a lot more prevalent during that era.

Welcome to the Lounge!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
1961MJS said:

Later

This is interesting. I associate stingy brims with juveniles and generally don't particularly like the look, although, some of the admirable men on this forum have proved me wrong on it, and pull it off very well.

Dixon Cannon

Honda! Thank you for your stingy-brim examples!...you've convinced me to never be caught dead in a stingy!!! (or alive for that matter!!!) You see you've helped me make a life decision!

-dixon cannon

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I own a couple fantastic stingies, but for the most part, they just are not my look. Personally, I think a wider brim looks better on most people. Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
flute

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Silly rabbit, stingies are for kids! lol

Not really, though. Sinatra could rock a stingy like nobody's business. I agree with flute that most people look better with a wider brim. I'm ashamed to admit that I watch American Idol because my wife likes to watch it, and one thing that really annoyed me was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=hH7dEjJM4KY

There's a dude who does not need to be wearing a stingy. Does anybody want to volunteer to tell him that he looks ridiculous? Yeah, me neither. ;)

1961MJS

Mr E Train said:
Was this in the 60's or 70's? Stingy brims became a lot more prevalent during that era.

Welcome to the Lounge!

Thanks, from the 60's. I saw a book on Amazon.com called:

Hatless Jack: The President, the Fedora, and the History of American Style (Paperback)

My Dad quite wearing a hat to work before 1975 when I started high school. Some of the guys never wore them.

Later

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Mr E Train said:
That's what you call "stacking the deck." Those stingies are horrible. I like how the image URL is from made-in.china.com. lol

Again those are just quick Google images I found to show wide brim vs short brims.

BTW all 3 of my fedoras are stingies. I like the way the look on me better then the wide brims.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I actually like both, but I do not own both. All three of my fedoras are wider brimmed (well, the wool Jaxon is 2 1/2 inches, maybe that's medium width). Even my next planned acquisition is going to likely be the wide-brimmed Akubra Campdraft, in silverbelly. However, I actually love the idea of owning a nice stingy-brim fedora or trilby as well. I can't help but feel inspired by the fedoras of the late 1950s and 60s, including Sean Connery's trilby in his James Bond films, not to mention Frank Sinatra's hats as well.

I guess when it comes down to preference, I prefer wider brimmed fedoras to the shorter, stingy brims, but I still appreciate the style.

chippy

New in Town
Jauntyone said:
Let's compare apples with apples!
Do you prefer this:
or this:
The nice thing about living to-day is that we can have both!

Bing makes anything look good, he has a good sound and when he's with that other bloke he is pretty funny too:D
vc71.jpg

bing_bob_hope.jpg

Dorothy_Lamour%2C_Bing_Crosby_and_Bob_Hope_in_Road_to_Bali.jpg

very stingy brim
resized_Bob_Hope_Bing_Crosby.jpg

the young bloke on the end ,Frank something or other, was known for wearing smaller brims ;)

hope.jpg

what was it Bob said about scores and playing golf...I like to play in the low 70s...if it gets any hotter than that, I stay in the bar! lol I take his advise on that from time to time :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points