Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Highwayman Jacket

ShaneB

New in Town
Has anyone here about 5ft 10 / 11 and got a shorter highwayman? Length around 23"?

I'm looking at one that errs on the shorter side at 23", I personally would have liked an extra .5 - 1" I reckon, though 23 is doable as a cropped jacket. Anyone got one that short and have fit pics?

Last edited:

garzo

One of the Regulars
It really depends on your build and also your personal preference. I'm 5'11 and I find 25" almost too short for me. I have a somewhat long torso and 25.5" or 26" seems to look better on me while still looking like a classic Highwayman (or, as in my last purchase, an Alexander Leathers Roadster), meaning not too long.

I'm 5'10.5" and although 24-24.5" is a sweet spot for the back, the highwayman doesn't drop in the front so a 25" length is better for me. I'm not a fan of the cropped/ Bolero look. I think because of the boxy cut, longer is better than shorter on this model.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Too short on one of these boxy fitting patterns will look pretty "wrong". At your height 25 inches would be about right.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to agree with Seb and HD. I'm your same height and I think you can get away with 24 at the absolute shortest with 25 being the sweet spot.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If you're already a bit concerned about it, I'd hold off. It will always bug you despite trying to justify it! I think, for your height, 25" or so is the standard like everyone mentioned. You could probably get away with 24", but 23" is short.

Last edited:

ShaneB

New in Town
Just measured my Aero A-2, which is also horsehide, and that's 24.5" to the hem (not including the knit) - and that's a good length. I think this would be too short unfortunately, although everything else is fine.

These jackets seem to come up ridiculously big - this highway was a size 36 and my Aero is a 40!

ShaneB

New in Town
Also, any shorter UK fellas should have a look at it - it's on ebay UK at the moment; it was made-to-order and the guy is 5ft 8", so perfect height for shorter blokes.

breezer

Practically Family
My Highwayman is 80's vintage Aero - in Connolly leather with Stuart tartan lining - 24" from collar to bottom. Its a 38" and possibly for sale……..

Mark

Practically Family
Hi, my HWM is a 36" and a 24.5" back length. I am around 5.5ft slim build. jacket falls 1/2" below the belt line, perfect. Nothing worse than a too short a jacket in my opinion.

Windward

Practically Family
I am 5' 10" and the back lenght of my Windward jacket - collar seam to end of hem - is 23 - 23,5"
My first Highwayman I ordered long time ago - a standard size 46 - was 27,5" back lenght which was waaaaaaay too long for my taste.

Here's how it fits:

Why should I add more lenght?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That particular Winward pattern is meant to be "short and neat fitting" as they say in the blurb. Different thing entirely.

bobjones

A-List Customer
I am 5-10.5 and my HWM is exactly 23" from the bottom edge of the folded collar to the edge of the bottom of the jack, and it fits perfectly. If you are measuring from the top of the collar, then it is 25", so I get it depends where on the jacket you are measuring.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
bob, generally length is measured from the bottom of the collar, not including the actual collar.

Last edited:

dan_t

Practically Family
The problem with measurements is that they are so confusing.
For instance, I'm 6'2" & one would be correct in assuming a back length of 26", or thereabouts would be suitable. But, here's the catch, this jacket has a 24" back (that's WAY too short I hear you say), yet, it is actually well below the belt line.
ALHalf-Belt-2982_zps4b916be8.jpg

ALArkansasFit11_zps8070ef95.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112