Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Sleeved Dress Shirts With a Suit?

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
Another magistrate and I are arguing about the appropriateness of wearing a short sleeved dress shirt with a suit, or even with a blaser and tie. I don't believe that it's appropriate. In fact, when I see a short sleeved dress shirt with a tie and jacket, I just cringe. He's all for it, arguing that it's dress and comfortable. Funny part is that we even disagree on the issue as to whether this is vintage appropriate, as I don't think it was done in the Golden Era, where suits were often wool, and air conditioning was a fan,

Who's right on this one?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
MagistrateChris said:
Another magistrate and I are arguing about the appropriateness of wearing a short sleeved dress shirt with a suit, or even with a blaser and tie. I don't believe that it's appropriate. In fact, when I see a short sleeved dress shirt with a tie and jacket, I just cringe. He's all for it, arguing that it's dress and comfortable. Funny part is that we even disagree on the issue as to whether this is vintage appropriate, as I don't think it was done in the Golden Era, where suits were often wool, and air conditioning was a fan,

Who's right on this one?

The term "Short-Sleeved Dress Shirt" is an oxymoron. There is no such animal!lol

Brad

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brad Bowers said:
The term "Short-Sleeved Dress Shirt" is an oxymoron. There is no such animal!lol

Brad

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Exactly what my grandmother and mother hammered into me from a young age. Sort of the same deranged fashion ideas as clip-on ties and polyester leisure suits, I suppose.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Actually, its relatively trendy & can be well done
168160538_417d8b60ba.jpg

tho it is still used for comedic effect to depict nerds
168160533_4bea95ecb0.jpg

Probably as a reference to `60s&`70s Nasa engineers.
Tho occasionally you will still see Shuttle mission control expert wearing a shortsleeve & tie.
2128728945_48bef2f103.jpg

But offhand I cant recall a golden-age shortsleeve & tie photo.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
MagistrateChris said:

Who's right on this one?

Never should a short sleeved dress shirt be worn with a suit or sport coat. They are, however, acceptable wear with a plastic pocket protector and an Uzi.

image021.jpg

AF

I suppose some people could pull it off, but I wouldn't try it myself. But then, with the exception of three or four Hawaiian shirts, my wardrobe is devoid of short sleeves. Just don't like the way they look on me. Never have.

Feraud

Bartender
The original post asked if a short sleeved shirt was appropriate for work and with a suit or blazer.
That depends on the job environment. Compared to what many people wear to work I see nothing outlandish about short sleeves. No one is going to see your arms under a jacket.
Without the jacket a short sleeved shirt and tie is funky/quirky. That is good or bad depending on your perspective.

Dr Doran

Feraud said:
The original post asked if a short sleeved shirt was appropriate for work and with a suit or blazer.
That depends on the job environment. Compared to what many people wear to work I see nothing outlandish about short sleeves. No one is going to see your arms under a jacket.
Without the jacket a short sleeved shirt and tie is funky/quirky. That is good or bad depending on your perspective.

True, no one will see, but they won't see the inch of shirtcuff coming out from your jacket sleeve either. And that may look odd.

Doran said:
True, no one will see, but they won't see the inch of shirtcuff coming out from your jacket sleeve either. And that may look odd.

Exactly. I also feel odd wearing a short sleeve shirt in a jacket. I feel like I am soiling it and should get it dry cleaned after. The shirt is supposed to take the sweat and wear protecting the jacket lining and material itself. Now I know what the Jabba the Hut who funked up my Armani suit was wearing. ;) :p

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I actually just picked up a vintage SS dress shirt so I can be NASA chic over Summer. I figure that with all the leftover wannabe hippies roaming the streets its about damn time we had a representative from the awesome side of the 1960s, complete with skinny tie and pocket protector.

Mike in Seattle

I will grant you, there are a few occupations where a short-sleeve shirt with a tie makes a nice uniform, because the occupation warrants it, and there are some part of the country (the Deep South) where it's almost a necessity in the hot humid months, in those instances, they're not worn with a sport coat, blazer or suit. In those cases, it's certainly understandable. And if you like the look, by all means, go for it. But it's just, to my eye, my brain, not as dressy & proper a look in most areas and most occupations or ocassions.

It's like yesterday - I had a late doctor's appointment and there was a pile-up on the freeway home. I decided rather than spend 2 hours sitting in traffic, I'd go wander around the mall and have dinner out. Nordstrom had suits with matching shorts. Not in the boys' department, not in the teen section, but in the menswear section. I mentioned it to the clerk who waited on me, and you could tell he and the other clerk at the counter weren't happy that merchandise was on the floor - rolling of eyes, shaking of heads and "Yes sir...I think we'd all agree at times, it's rather um...trying...some of the items one sometimes has to sell."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko