Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shorts

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against shorts. I wear them in my backyard, at barbecues, while mowing the lawn, or on hikes through the woods all the time. However, I have what my wife thinks is a weird quirk: I cannot bring myself to wear shorts when going downtown, shopping, or during similar “urban” activities. Going to a restaurant in shorts is pretty much out of the question for me. Dear Fedora, have I become too stodgy and inflexible? Today I’m going into the city center and I’m sure I’ll see plenty of men in shorts. It’s summer, hot, and attitudes have become more relaxed. Even so, I will be wearing a pair of khakis. Am I a quaint anachronism? Is the question even too inconsequential to consider? Sign me as “Wondering if I’m short sighted.”

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I agree with you, but we are becoming the minority. The younger generations are much more casual. When I'm sitting down to eat the last thing I want to see is some guy's hairy legs and his nasty feet in his flip-flops, topped off with his hairy armpits showing from his wife-beater T-shirt. But, many folks see nothing wrong with that these days, so I guess we are the odd-balls? Just like being odd-balls for wearing nice hats with the brim oriented in the right direction? :D

Our fire department just adopted shorts as an official part of our summer uniform; luckily it is an option and not mandatory. Considering we are in Virginia and not Florida, Arizona, or California (for instance), us senior members think this is an unprofessional look that represents us as slobs to the older generation. The younger guys think it is great! (Sigh)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
People should wear what they want without judgement. I'm quite happy for men to wear shorts and t-shirts and I am not keen on dress codes. That said I would never wear shorts at home or in public. I hate them. I find wearing long pants on a hot day much cooler and less harmful to the skin. When its 115 degrees down here I wear jeans or cotton pants with no detrimental effects. I don't go hiking in them but I do walk to the train or down to the shops. Tiki Tom - don't worry about what others wear and if you're on this site you probably make eccentric clothing choices like the rest of us.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I share your opinion but am a bit less succesful in pulling it off. 95f and humid here can be rough. Still I try.

Wood troll, I’m on the job 20+ and agree 100%
Fortunately we have not made it an option

3fingers

One Too Many
I do not wear shorts except the ones I sleep in. My wife tried to get me to wear them when we were dating, and I did wear them a handful of times, but she finally conceded that it wasn't going to happen. I don't care what anybody else wears, but they just aren't for me.

I don't understand the view that adult men wearing shorts is some recent occurrence owing to our "recent" casual culture. My father was born in 1920, and wore shorts in the 1960s when I was a little shaver.

I've worn shorts my entire life. I don't go to "nice" restaurants in them, but sitting in a pub or out on the patio having a bite? Sure.

If you don't want to see my hairy legs, stop looking under the table. [emoji16]

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I've worn shorts my entire life. I don't go to "nice" restaurants in them, but sitting in a pub or out on the patio having a bite? Sure.
If you don't want to see my hairy legs, stop looking under the table.

It's not the legs under the table that draw attention, believe me. I certainly don't go looking for them. At least, not men's legs! ;)

And yes, you're right, I was too broad in my generalization. Certain times and places shorts are to be expected - the southern states in the summer (maybe the far southern states year-round?), the beach, construction workers on hot days, etc. And I certainly don't care what you wear on your own patio. But the guy sitting on a tall barstool in his extra-large loose athletic shorts and sleeveless jersey "letting it all hang out" while folks are trying to enjoy their meal? Nope, sorry. That's never appropriate or respectful. Nor are they generally appropriate in a professional setting.

And I guess that's what I'm getting at - there are times and places for all sorts of dress. Often times the way you dress is meant to show respect for yourself and for others, and is thus dictated to a point by the time and place. Sort of like the guidelines of when to remove your hat. I refuse to wear shorts or sleeveless shirts in any circumstance, but would not dictate to others that they should never wear them. If you look like a slob, though, guess what my first impression of you will be? And shorts alone certainly do not make you a slob - it's your entire overall appearance and carriage. And yes, I do think folks in recent times are much more casual about their appearance most of the time than they used to be.

One thing I will never understand is the folks who wear shorts, no socks, and a sweatshirt with the hood pulled up. Are you cold or not??? o_O

Good discussion!
Regan

RJR

It seems to me that use of common sense(sometimes very rare)should be the control.I like shorts and wear them when its appropriate.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
People should wear what they want without judgement. I'm quite happy for men to wear shorts and t-shirts and I am not keen on dress codes. .
Absolutely agree, but the only shorts I wear are boxer underwear shorts, and I only wear them in bed. My body is getting on a bit and I just can't trust the washer these days. When I admitted that I don't have a single piece of denim in my wardrobe, I did wonder if it would raise hackles in saying so. Nope, no one said a negative word. I haven't got any shorts either, but that's just my preference, stuffy, eccentric and stiff upper lip Brit.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Perfectly fine to not own and even despise denim GHT - I have a friend with that view. He actually shudders at the thought of jeans but he accepts that people should wear what they want.

One of the great benefits of living in the West is that we are free to wear clothing of our own choice. I like certain vintage clothing but I am always uncomfortable when fellow enthusiasts carry on as if all the rest of the world are boors if they don't wear spats or hats or whatever... it's elitist and unnecessary. I personally do not wear short sleeve shirts, shorts, bright colours or suits - it's just a matter of personal taste.

Edward

Bartender
As soon as I was old enough to much give a second thought to what I wore - probably around fourteen - I remember not liking shorts much. My dad is of an age, generation and culture in which shorts were worn by little boys, and getting your first pair of long trousers was a rite of passage into manhood. I don't think I can recall him ever wearing shorts in my lifetime, at least - maybe that's some subconscious influence on the fact that I tend to think of them as children's wear. I've certainly, with linen, cotton and such options all readily available, never felt any practical need for them (I last bough one pair of shorts in about 1991, and wore then on a grand total of six days over the next six years; I don't know where they went after that, I'm guessing I must have thrown them out). Rather the opposite, actually, once one considers the harmful effects of the sun (I try to stay out of direct sunlight whenever possible anyhow, I hate it. I don't much like being outdoors if at all if avoidable at this time of year). I think too the inevitable association of short trousers with sport and school games "lessons" also rather damns them in my eye, as I loathe(d) both of those things.

None of which is to say that anyone else shouldn't wear them, in much the same way as everyone else is perfectly entitled to their love of soccer - I just wish they'd accept it cuts both ways. I do think most men dress like children in the Summer, but if they want to, that's up to them. Equally, if an establishment wants to run a dress code, that should be up to them. When I was much younger I would have objected vociferously to a dress code, but nowadays I very much appreciate them as it means that there are places I know I can choose to frequent or not based on what I know is the norm there.

HanauMan

Practically Family
Don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against shorts. I wear them in my backyard, at barbecues, while mowing the lawn, or on hikes through the woods all the time. However, I have what my wife thinks is a weird quirk: I cannot bring myself to wear shorts when going downtown, shopping, or during similar “urban” activities. Going to a restaurant in shorts is pretty much out of the question for me. Dear Fedora, have I become too stodgy and inflexible? Today I’m going into the city center and I’m sure I’ll see plenty of men in shorts. It’s summer, hot, and attitudes have become more relaxed. Even so, I will be wearing a pair of khakis. Am I a quaint anachronism? Is the question even too inconsequential to consider? Sign me as “Wondering if I’m short sighted.”

I am in agreement with your sentiments; I never wear shorts and haven't done so since pre-teen days.

However, I see that you live in Vienna. I used to live in Bavaria back in the 1970s and I remember that many German men used to wear shorts doing the hot summer months and they even had lightweight suits with shorts. I guess that Austrian men must have done likewise. So can't really see that things have become more relaxed, European men have always worn shorts in towns and cities.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
As soon as I was old enough to much give a second thought to what I wore - probably around fourteen - I remember not liking shorts much. My dad is of an age, generation and culture in which shorts were worn by little boys, and getting your first pair of long trousers was a rite of passage into manhood.
That is so true, did we live parallel lives somewhere in the past?

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward, now that you mention it, I don't think I ever saw my father in shorts either. Remarkable. For the life of me, I can't even imagine what his bare legs might have looked like, although he must have certainly worn swim trunks on occassion. The very idea sort of frightens me. Did my superhero father have bandy, white legs? Ack! No doubt this non-shorts family history accounts for part of my semi-reluctance to wear shorts in public.

Re: your comment that "men dress like boys in summer." This topic has come up more than once with Mrs Tiki. We will observe a couple where the woman is looking rather "put together" in a nice dress or whatever, while her male companion looks like he just came off the playground, age 12.

But I've long since realized that my disapproval --plus $3.50-- might buy a cup of coffee. My disapproval is pointless (except in so far as it guides my own dress code); and thank goodness I keep it to myself (other than allowing myself to air out my grievances at the FL occassionaly. Thanks to all of you for your forbearance. :p)

GHT: I salute you for not owning any denim. I, however, am not made of such strong stuff as to resist the gravitational pull of the entire baby-boom generation. Although I do wear it quite a bit less as I ripen and begin to decompose.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
GHT: I salute you for not owning any denim. I, however, am not made of such strong stuff as to resist the gravitational pull of the entire baby-boom generation. Although I do wear it quite a bit less as I ripen and begin to decompose.
In the 60's, worn and torn jeans were thrown away, not worn with pride as a fashionable look. However, I do remember the fad of cutting the legs off the worn out jeans, at the knee, then unpicking the weave so as to create a pair of denim shorts with a fringe. Fringe? More like cringe.

It's not the legs under the table that draw attention, believe me. I certainly don't go looking for them. At least, not men's legs! ;)

And yes, you're right, I was too broad in my generalization. Certain times and places shorts are to be expected - the southern states in the summer (maybe the far southern states year-round?), the beach, construction workers on hot days, etc. And I certainly don't care what you wear on your own patio. But the guy sitting on a tall barstool in his extra-large loose athletic shorts and sleeveless jersey "letting it all hang out" while folks are trying to enjoy their meal? Nope, sorry. That's never appropriate or respectful. Nor are they generally appropriate in a professional setting.

And I guess that's what I'm getting at - there are times and places for all sorts of dress. Often times the way you dress is meant to show respect for yourself and for others, and is thus dictated to a point by the time and place. Sort of like the guidelines of when to remove your hat. I refuse to wear shorts or sleeveless shirts in any circumstance, but would not dictate to others that they should never wear them. If you look like a slob, though, guess what my first impression of you will be? And shorts alone certainly do not make you a slob - it's your entire overall appearance and carriage. And yes, I do think folks in recent times are much more casual about their appearance most of the time than they used to be.

One thing I will never understand is the folks who wear shorts, no socks, and a sweatshirt with the hood pulled up. Are you cold or not??? o_O

Good discussion!
Regan

Well, two points. One, a construction worker wearing shorts is making a mistake. Trousers give you more protection when doing some work. I have been the Health & Safety officer on some jobs, and I'd send you home if you showed up in shorts. Also why I fully dress for airline travel - and prefer cotton - it's a safety thing.

Also, if you're sitting on a barstool in loos workout clothing and "flashing a little brain," that's an entirely different discussion than wearing cargo or walking shorts.

In the 60's, worn and torn jeans were thrown away, not worn with pride as a fashionable look. However, I do remember the fad of cutting the legs off the worn out jeans, at the knee, then unpicking the weave so as to create a pair of denim shorts with a fringe. Fringe? More like cringe.

Worked for Daisy Duke!

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Well, two points. One, a construction worker wearing shorts is making a mistake. Trousers give you more protection when doing some work. I have been the Health & Safety officer on some jobs, and I'd send you home if you showed up in shorts. Also why I fully dress for airline travel - and prefer cotton - it's a safety thing.

Also, if you're sitting on a barstool in loos workout clothing and "flashing a little brain," that's an entirely different discussion than wearing cargo or walking shorts.
Agreed on all counts! It's pretty common for framers, etc. to wear shorts on the job here, although I never would. And yes, no shorts and flip-flops on planes!

Worked for Daisy Duke!
And her shorts worked for me, too!

Edward

Bartender
However, I see that you live in Vienna. I used to live in Bavaria back in the 1970s and I remember that many German men used to wear shorts doing the hot summer months and they even had lightweight suits with shorts. I guess that Austrian men must have done likewise. So can't really see that things have become more relaxed, European men have always worn shorts in towns and cities.

Interestingly, it's something I saw much more of in the US than I think I ever have in Europe, and definitely than in the UK - though in part the UK still has certain stereotypes of old, posh-school uniforms involving shorts, so perhaps the lack of that in the US (and across Europe) where school uniforms are not the norm in regular schools is a factor in the cultural perception?

Re: your comment that "men dress like boys in summer." This topic has come up more than once with Mrs Tiki. We will observe a couple where the woman is looking rather "put together" in a nice dress or whatever, while her male companion looks like he just came off the playground, age 12.

TBH, I think a lot of it has to do with cultural stereotypes that it is somehow outre, or "a bit gay"* or whatever to be particularly interested in clothes, or, rather to admit to being so as a man, hence the sartorial race to the bottom we often see (not to imply that this is automatically so just because somebody wears shorts, mind).

(*homophobia their's, not mine)

I remember when that was the fad of the late eighties, in both the subculture I moved in and mainstream fashion at the time. I never did understand it. I still like denim, where appropriate, and do wear it on occasion, though I've never understood the appeal of wearing it in a state where it's fit for the bin. Some of the kids I teach are wearing denim jackets currently that they bought new this year - after ten very happy years together, I threw out my old denim trucker jacket in 1998 because it was unwearably worn. It was in better nick by far than what I see selling as fashion now!

Certainly also worthy of note that, knowing what we know now about the dangers of exposure to the sun (as opposed to the state of knowledge during WW2), desert and other hot climate based troops are issued with trousers and tops that ensure full body coverage. How ironic that the indigenous, desert-based peoples whom we Westerners dismissed as primative once upon a time have long, long known that it is better and cooler to be properly covered!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Flashing a little brain, that could come straight out of the lexicon of "package" phrases that my missus uses. 30 years a paramedic, she's seen most things. One quip she would use after patching up some lad or other who had gotten into a fight over a girlfriend:
The way that the blood rushes from the brain to the groin, you would think that there isn't enough to make both organs function simultaneously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk