Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I, or shouldn't I?

panamag8or

Practically Family
I found a Blaupunkt console radio in an antique store a couple of days ago, and I really want it. It has glass doors on the bottom, where the LP's go, and he said it has a "cocktail center" in it, but I couldn't see that because there was stuff on the top. It also has a disc changer. I'll go back and get the model # tomorrow. I can't find a picture of a similar one anywhere on Google.

The store owner said it worked until he moved it to the store, and then it stopped. He thinks he messed up the ground during the move. He was asking $395 for it, but I want to try to talk him down, since it isn't running.

Is this worth pursuing, or should I just find a better deal on the bay? It is in superb shape, and I know the blaupunkts sound great.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Shop around and see what other people are selling one for. If you found someone who is selling it for less, working or nonworking, you can tell the store owner and they'll lower the price based on the other sellers.

happyfilmluvguy said:
Shop around and see what other people are selling one for. If you found someone who is selling it for less, working or nonworking, you can tell the store owner and they'll lower the price based on the other sellers.

I agree, plus if you do decide to buy it, you should definitely be able to talk him down just based on it not working anymore

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Certainly there were few Blaupunkt radios of any kind around in the US till about the 1970s. You'd only find AM/FM Blaupunkts in Mercedes autos in the 1960s and never an AC table or console model. They simply didn't have any dealer/distributor network back then. It ought to be worth having. If it is a tube chassis you'll have to find an appropriate repairer of such. Certainly there are no miniature printed circuits to deal with as it is a more straighforward in concept actually making it easier to diagnose.

Off hand I'd say $250 would be a decent price.[huh]

panamag8or

Practically Family
Twitch said:
Certainly there were few Blaupunkt radios of any kind around in the US till about the 1970s. You'd only find AM/FM Blaupunkts in Mercedes autos in the 1960s and never an AC table or console model. They simply didn't have any dealer/distributor network back then. It ought to be worth having. If it is a tube chassis you'll have to find an appropriate repairer of such. Certainly there are no miniature printed circuits to deal with as it is a more straighforward in concept actually making it easier to diagnose.

Off hand I'd say $250 would be a decent price.[huh]

I was thinking $250-$275 would be good, if I can talk him down.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
The good news is that there wasn't much electronic about those sets that could be damaged when moving - unless it was a tube, and they're replaceable.

But there's a very limited market for radio consoles that don't work, and getting it fixed (if it's not a tube) would probably run over $100. I'd be very economical with my offer.

One thing I've one in the past is to write an offer - say $150 - on a business card and leave it with the seller. After a few days they may decide to meet your price.

And if you buy it and want the tubes tested, you can pull them, pack them well and ship to me - I have a couple of tube testers and I'll be glad to check them for you if you cover the shipping.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
I agree always shop around as much as you can when you buy anything. :)

Hell that is how I found this site looking for fedoras. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters